S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spun a rod bearing..

Old 09-04-2011, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun a rod bearing..

spun a rod bearing... i was getting off the freeway and let off the gas.. car started making this HORRIFIC noise like a valve dropped and it was getting mangled by the piston so i went to pull in a gas station and it died before i could make it into the parking lot.. popped the hood.. NO OIL... i filled the oil up at the gas station.. cranked it.. SOUNDED LIKE DEATH OF F20 #1.. towed it to my mechanic and they said i spun a rod bearing.. So... im going to tow it home and open that oil pan up and post some pictures.. any tips and hints to look for when i open it up.. my thinking is that if it was COMPLETELY out of oil that im thinking there is a great chance other parts are beat up too..?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you ever get a CEL? Flashing, blinking, solid?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^yea, I wouldn't use it. Rebuild or another longblock.

When did you check your oil last? With the way those f20s go through oil, I would think checking it at least weekly would be mandatory.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:23 PM

I'm asking to see what could have happened, it could have been a pre-existing thing that the OP left out, I like asking questions to help understand the situation instead of blabbing out random "maybe this"s
If you dropped/bent a valve, you shouldve gotten a CEL, if you had no oil, did you see the low oil pressure indicator? Do you have stock ecu?
Old 09-04-2011, 02:47 PM

the same thing happened to my first engine. No CEL drove up a bridge and then got the loud chatter. checked my oil and it was still full and golden kept driving then my car pretty much said phuck you and shut down, at the same time the CEL came on and started blinking. pulled the pan and saw #4 bearing in my oil pan well all over my oil pan along with part of bearing #1
Old 09-04-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by james0933
^yea, I wouldn't use it. Rebuild or another longblock.

When did you check your oil last? With the way those f20s go through oil, I would think checking it at least weekly would be mandatory.
my 99 AP1 doesnt burn a drop of oil between services

161,000km and regularly revved to 9k

not all vtec engines burn oil
Old 09-04-2011, 05:03 PM

my car did not show any CEL lights or oil pressure light untill i heard the clatter..

archangle.. what did you do to your engine afterwards. did you replace or rebuild?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:20 PM

Interesting, I would suggest having it torn apart to see what may have caused this. Before this was your car losing oil? If so was adding more oil becoming a regular thing to do for you? When was your last oil change? What did it read before you changed it?
Old 09-04-2011, 06:45 PM

last oil change was a tiny bit over 3000 miles ago.. it seems as if it eats ALOT of oil.. like alot.. my car has over 140,xxx miles.. and i did a track day back in june but im going to rip into the motor to see what else is damaged.. im started tomorrow.. i will be taking photos along the way and uploading after every day.. its gonna take awhile to finish since i work and have school..
Old 09-05-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by jhf2005
last oil change was a tiny bit over 3000 miles ago.. it seems as if it eats ALOT of oil.. like alot.. my car has over 140,xxx miles.. and i did a track day back in june but im going to rip into the motor to see what else is damaged.. im started tomorrow.. i will be taking photos along the way and uploading after every day.. its gonna take awhile to finish since i work and have school..
If it's been eating A LOT of oil then this is the result of something pre-existing, best of luck buddy!-Justin

Quick Reply: Spun a rod bearing..