Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duralast Gold or Optima Yellow Top? My stock battery died after 11 strong years :[

#1 User is offline   edizluv 

• Group: Guest
  • Interests:Tearin' asphalt

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

Just like the title says boys.

What battery do you recommend me to get on my AP1?

The Optima Yellow Top is obviously more expensive and leads me to believe that it might be better, but is that really the case.

I would love your opinion!

#2 User is offline   Jorsher 

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

Optoma Yellow Top being better because it's more expensive is a bad way of thinking. From what I've heard, from people I trust, that have worked on/tuned plenty of cars, they're junk.

I bought a Odyssey PC680 battery for my CRX and it worked great for a while but recently has stopped starting the car very well if it's extremely cold. I don't know if it's a fault of the battery (I accidentally completely discharged it a NUMBER of times since the CRX doesn't have a headlight warning), a fault of my battery relocation (the ground point probably isn't the best, I used the spare tire holder), or a fault of the grounds on my engine swap, or a fault of my squeaky alternator belt not charging as quickly ;)

On the up-side, it's lighter and smaller than stock, and it is dry-cell so you can mount it any way you want and relocate it to the interior without breaking any regulations or leaking noxious gasses into the cabin.

#3 User is offline   mellowyellow999 

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

I been using Duralast since 1988 on all kind of cars that I own. :)

#4 User is offline   S~Factor 

• View gallery
  • Group: Member

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

Instead of getting an expensive light weight battery, get a regular battery, say, die hard, but instead of group 51, get group 93 which has almost the same crancking amps and reserve capacity but a lot smaller.

Group 93 is just an example. There are other groups that will fit fine in the OEM battery tray.

http://shop.advancea...7CGRPBATTAM2___

#5 User is offline   SeanK325 

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

I've had good experience with Costco's Kirkland battery. It's cheaper than everywhere else and they don't even test it for warranty returns. So once it starts to die, you can just exchange it for a new one as opposed to just having them recharge it and call it a day.

#6 User is offline   edizluv 

• Topic Starter

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:51 AM

View PostSeanK325, on 24 September 2011 - 09:56 PM, said:

I've had good experience with Costco's Kirkland battery. It's cheaper than everywhere else and they don't even test it for warranty returns. So once it starts to die, you can just exchange it for a new one as opposed to just having them recharge it and call it a day.

This sounds like a a good deal!

#7 User is offline   OvaDaLimiT 

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:15 AM

I just replaced mine last weekend. Costco battery came out to $71.80 after the core exchange.
3 year warranty with a full price refund (or exchange). The battery I picked up was stamped 9/2011, so you know it didn't sit around.
Really can't beat that anywhere...

This post has been edited by OvaDaLimiT: 25 September 2011 - 01:17 AM

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   StormTroopinAP2 

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:54 AM

i have a duralast gold, think it was about 80 or so. no problems, even when weather was in the teens.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Build Thread - IG: captn_slow

#9 User is offline   SeanK325 

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

View PostOvaDaLimiT, on 25 September 2011 - 01:15 AM, said:

I just replaced mine last weekend. Costco battery came out to $71.80 after the core exchange.
3 year warranty with a full price refund (or exchange). The battery I picked up was stamped 9/2011, so you know it didn't sit around.

$70 for a battery... You really can't beat that. Another plus, with the battery so cheap, a warranty exchange wouldn't cost much.

#10 User is offline   edizluv 

• Topic Starter

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

View PostSeanK325, on 25 September 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

View PostOvaDaLimiT, on 25 September 2011 - 01:15 AM, said:

$70 for a battery... You really can't beat that. Another plus, with the battery so cheap, a warranty exchange wouldn't cost much.

$70 bucks heck yeah! I ended up buying the Duralast gold top. I will keep this post updated to let everyone know how it works out for me

#11 User is offline   bronxbomber252 

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

THere are really only 2 or 3 companies that make the standard batteries, all the brands are just rebrands of those 2 or 3. (Source: a buddy of mine who works in the industry)
Gulf Coast and Wiregrass Regions SCCA 66 STR
Formerly Philly and SJR SCCA
Posted Image
"With men and women all in one day...your car might need an intervention" -Jon Caserta (IntegraR0064)

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users