UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

MY05 S2000 and J's Intake not compatible?

Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 S2000 and J's Intake not compatible?

Hi again all,

I tried again this morning to fit my new J's Tsuchinoko Carbon Intake, and I am now at a loss - I just cannot get the thing to fit any which way.

The problem appears to be that there is a black metal bar running behind the front bumper that is preventing the main intake pipe from fitting. The bar in question can be seen in the pic below.

I'm assuming that this bar is important, and cannot be removed?

Now I am starting to think that although my car is an AP1 model (as it's a UKDM model), I may have been sold the wrong intake by VTEC Direct, as further research has shown that an AP2 version of the intake is available from J's Racing. What is for certain is that the pipe included in the kit I have, will definitely not fit without removing this bar.

Does anyone know of any successful J's intake installs on 2005 model cars? If so, were there any problems with this black bar getting in the way?

I am going to try to return the intake to VTEC Direct, but they have messed me about so much with this order, that I don't doubt that they will not be overly helpful.

Any advice would be very welcome!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure MB (the gay lad on here) has had issues with the bar and successfully fitted the intake correctly, PM him or wait till he replies to this thread.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:40 AM

OK, thanks. That's kinda reassuring - It gives me hope that it is possible.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:40 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You have to remove that bar. Some say you can do it without taking the bumper off, but there was no way I could remove the plastic tray above it to get to the bolts. Looks like yours is removed, so you should be able to unbolt it without taking bumper off. That bar is gay, I have 2 of them in my garage

As I said inb your other thread, i've fitted a couple of these, one to my own MY04 whch is the same as MY05.

You will probably find the intake snorkle needs a lot of surgery to get it to fit into the bumper grill.

Just the way it is!

I don't think the early cars (pre 04) had that bar, and the bumper is different so the snorkle may fit it better.

Persevere with it though, I did, great intake

Old 10-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Ha, yeah, I managed to get the air guide out *just* without removing the bumper. I gained quite a few cuts and bruises doing it though!

I could reach under to get the bolts out, so if the bar needs to come out, then that's what I'll do! It will have to wait until next weekend now though. I'm through with removing and refitting air boxes for one day!!!

Thanks very much for the help again. Much appreciated.

Now if only someone knew a good way of fitting the rain protectors to my J's bonnet... I may start another thread, as this is another major issue I'm having at the moment.

I have noticed that my J's intake is a lot different to all the pics I've seen. First off, the hole in the snorkel that fits in the grill is a lot smaller (about half the height), and the filter itself is blue not red. Don't know if this is because it's a later model? Weird...
Old 10-02-2011, 07:46 AM
MB

Velcro?

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/767...339%3Bs+intake
Old 10-02-2011, 07:49 AM
MB

PS - try the search
Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sumimasen
Now I am starting to think that although my car is an AP1 model (as it's a UKDM model), I may have been sold the wrong intake by VTEC Direct, as further research has shown that an AP2 version of the intake is available from J's Racing. What is for certain is that the pipe included in the kit I have, will definitely not fit without removing this bar.
Yes, you should have bought the AP2 version.

Originally Posted by MB
That bar is gay, I have 2 of them in my garage
That bar is not gay It's part of the upgarde package that was destined for the Type R, which obviously didn't happen, and was adopted on the AP2. A similar bar is fitted to other Honda Type Rs, it's even made of aluminium to save weight on the NSX-R.

Chris.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:42 AM
MB

Isn't it just for safety reasons? I can't see the nose of the car requiring further rigidity? And therefore gay?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Thanks again for all the advice.

I honestly did spend about an hour searching for an answer to my issues, but after trawling through pages of irrelevant threads, I must have missed yours.

With regard to the rain protectors, I currently have them stuck in with duct tape, but this was always going to be a temporary fix. The heat from the engine, combined with the heavy rain the night after I fitted them means that the tape is coming off slowly but surely. The clips supplied with the protectors are next to useless - the sales pitch says that they can be fitted in seconds, but neglects to mention that the bonnet does not have the required holes pre-drilled, and actually drilling them and fitting the clips is an exercise in extreme frustration. And that's not mentioning the fact that accidentally drilling the carbon top layer is a very real possibility.

I am tempted to get some 'No More Nails' exterior sticky tape - it is apparently heat and weather proof, so *should* work ok. It this country there's no need for extra cooling from bonnet vents - I only bought the J's bonnet for the intake 'hump'!.

Quick Reply: MY05 S2000 and J's Intake not compatible?