S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

DYI: Mounting solution and air duct for oil cooler behind bumper

Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYI: Mounting solution and air duct for oil cooler behind bumper

DYI Mounting solution and air duct for oil cooler behind bumper
(particularily the Mushimoto 19 row oil cooler)

I am posting this in the FI section since it requires mounting to an air intercooler...

you will need:
rugged aluminum sheet (from home depot)
String duct tape (like gorilla kind)
Screw drivers and screws for oil cooler brackets

__________________________________________________ _________

STEP 1.
After your oil cooler has been installed and ready to be mounted, Take off your front bumper and Bend the brackets so that your oil
cooler sits on an angle like in pictures 1 and 3. This is so it clears the front bumper when it is installed back on, and also
for the air duct flow you will be making later. Drill screws into the top of your intercooler (for those that are not turbo, you
might be able to use the frame to improvise, but im not sure)

STEP 2.
Temporarily put the front bumper back on to make sure the oil cooler clears it. If so, take off the front bumper and unscrew the
oil cooler brackets off the intercooler. (picture 4 and 5) You are now ready to make your air duct.

STEP 3.
Take the aluminum metal sheet and cut, bend, and mold it to the angles shown in pictures 6. I did not make exact
measurements because you may have a different oil cooler, but basically you want to cut the aluminum sheet t wear it fits on the
inside of the brackets and loops around to the top of the oil cooler without any gaps.

STEP 4.
Cut the sides off where the oil fittings are. Cut enough so there will be no gaps between the aluminum sheet and the oil
cooler, but also try to make enough space at the roof of the oil cooler so you so when you tape the sheet to it later, it will hold.
Cut the remaining aluminum sheet facing outwards from the bumper entrance where it will be taking in air. (if you want, you can wait
to do this when you have the bumper back on so you can see how much of the flap you want sticking out. refer to pictures 7-10

STEP 5.
This is where it gets ghetto, but still very functional. For you professional welders out there, feel free to make an
alternative solution... I didn't because this way is free! Basically, you want to duct tape the sides, using the brackets
as your frame to tape it. Refer to the pictures 11-15.

STEP 6.
Once you've taped up each side, tape the air duct flap to each side so that it holds it up when you're driving very fast and also
leaves a tunnel so air goes directly into the oil intercooler. (pictures 16-18). It will look ugly, but none of this will be
showing when the bumper is on. Make sure all of your tape is holding very strong. the wind and the heat from the oil cooler will
be strenuous on it...

STEP 7. screw in/ mount oil cooler, put your oil lines back on, Install your bumper back on and you're done. Now take a step back
and look at it. If the air duct flap is falling too low, tape one long piece of duct tape around it to the sides of the oil cooler
so it holds it up more. If it's too high, then bend it down forcefully with your hands so the duct tape loosens it at a better angle.

As you can see in this pic, its barely noticeable from the front- even when your vantage point is level with the car; yet, it takes in direct air very nicely

Old 11-17-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ducktape fabwork FTW. Where does the air escape to. Seems like it would just stack up behind the bumper. Nice work either way.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:09 AM

I have a jdm cooling plate above it do any air going through the other side of the oil cooler should direct backward to the radiator area after hitting behind the bumper
Old 11-17-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job but why did you not just go with a ptuning oil kit and save yourself a lot of time and energy. Was this a cheaper alternative?

Now get out there and lets see some more race vids! I am suffering from Brock race withdrawl
Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by s2000442
Nice job but why did you not just go with a ptuning oil kit and save yourself a lot of time and energy. Was this a cheaper alternative?

Now get out there and lets see some more race vids! I am suffering from Brock race withdrawl

1. because i didnt know they had one.

2. I doubt ill ever race again. lol. I have two many issues with my car that CAN be fixed but i still have yet to find someone trustworthy who can help me and knows what they are doing when tuning flashpro. mechanics in miami have f*ed me night and day.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrockB
Originally Posted by s2000442' timestamp='1321563191' post='21165136

2. I doubt ill ever race again. lol. I have two many issues with my car that CAN be fixed but i still have yet to find someone trustworthy who can help me and knows what they are doing when tuning flashpro. mechanics in miami have f*ed me night and day.
Evans etune? LJ at Fullblown can help also. What about Mase? Other than the fact no one can ever reach him.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:05 PM

Fantastic job! Great work! Thumbs up!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by s2000442
Originally Posted by BrockB' timestamp='1321563460' post='21165156
[quote name='s2000442' timestamp='1321563191' post='21165136']

Evans etune? LJ at Fullblown can help also. What about Mase? Other than the fact no one can ever reach him.
[/quote]

Mase was really all i had as a flashpro tuner. but hes AWAW all the time now, plus i need someone for more than tuning- someone hands on. I have a lot of sensor/electrical issues and misfires that i cant seem to figure out how to solve myself that may take a few days to fix.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:01 PM

i like that may do that minus the tape lol
Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 PM

The tape can't even be seen so who cares- it makes it easier to make

Quick Reply: DYI: Mounting solution and air duct for oil cooler behind bumper