Jump to content

  • 12 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Official Formula One 2012 Preview/Silly Season Thread Disccussion about drivers, teams and circuits goes here

#1 User is offline   A 2 

  • News Editor

  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 37,466
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Albany, UPSTATE NY
  • Country: United States

  Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:59 AM




I've often found that during the off-season we become much quieter. When someone starts a thread, there are not too many responses as most people probably don't visit here during the off-season.

I thought it'd help this discussion forum if we started this thread for all the discussion pertaining to the off-season, it would help to keep the discussion active and keep the few of us that follow silly season updates updated on what is going on.

Major happenings going on right now:
- COTA promoters trying to do their "best" to rescue Austin 2012

- The whole Kubica controversy. Team issues a statement and his manager refutes it. WTH is really going on?

- Willl Rubens be around for next season? Schumi has just come out and said he hopes Rubens will stay on for next year, although Felipe has suggested it may be a good time for him to quit on a high.


What do you guys think about the potential of such a thread? Do you think it will be useful OR should we just resort to starting individual threads about topics as we have always been doing? Let me know what you think and this thread can be deleted if popular opinion feels that way. :)

#2 User is offline   The Raptor 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold Member
  • Posts: 50,521
  • Joined: 18-July 01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:La Crescenta, CA
  • Country: United States
  • Interests:USC football, astronomy, photography, auto racing

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

View Postaashish2, on 25 November 2011 - 09:59 AM, said:

What do you guys think about the potential of such a thread? Do you think it will be useful OR should we just resort to starting individual threads about topics as we have always been doing? Let me know what you think and this thread can be deleted if popular opinion feels that way. :)

I think it's a great idea!:thumbup:
Athanor Environmental Services, Inc., at the leading edge of the titanic struggle to reverse the cynical downward spiral into the gloomy green hell of ecologic putrefaction.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   samerthehammer 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,795
  • Joined: 04-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

This is good to have everything in one thread. For the past 2 seasons I have started a thread on the unveiling of the cars, so I can just put them on here. Hopefully more ppl will be able to see it
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   A 2 

  • Topic Starter
  • News Editor

  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 37,466
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Albany, UPSTATE NY
  • Country: United States

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

View Postsamerthehammer, on 26 November 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

This is good to have everything in one thread. For the past 2 seasons I have started a thread on the unveiling of the cars, so I can just put them on here. Hopefully more ppl will be able to see it


I've always enjoyed seeing those :thumbup:

#5 User is offline   samerthehammer 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,795
  • Joined: 04-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

View Postaashish2, on 28 November 2011 - 09:30 PM, said:

View Postsamerthehammer, on 26 November 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

This is good to have everything in one thread. For the past 2 seasons I have started a thread on the unveiling of the cars, so I can just put them on here. Hopefully more ppl will be able to see it


I've always enjoyed seeing those :thumbup:


:D

Well I will start this off with a confirmed driver signing.

http://www.itv.com/f...-for-2012-6542/

#6 User is offline   samerthehammer 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,795
  • Joined: 04-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:02 AM

maybe even more shocking! kimi to Lotus Renault. Kimi and hopefully a fully recovered Kubica and not a dog of car would be awesome to see!!

http://www.gpupdate....-lotus-renault/

http://www.f1fanatic...urn-f1-renault/

This post has been edited by samerthehammer: 29 November 2011 - 03:05 AM


#7 User is offline   S2k007 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 3,071
  • Joined: 20-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Temecula, CA
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:08 AM

I doubt Kubica will be back in F1. He's already slated to miss a good portion of the start of next year. I just don't think he'll regain the form he had prior. Good to see Kimi back though.
My For Sale Thread
Posted Image
The most important image ever taken in 3D.

#8 User is offline   A 2 

  • Topic Starter
  • News Editor

  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 37,466
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Albany, UPSTATE NY
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:54 AM

Dang! Beat me to it. I was just about to post about Kimi :p
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96573

Now I wonder what this means for Rubens at Williams :ponder: and who is Kimi replacing at Lotus? Petrov or Senna?

#9 User is offline   GateCrasher 

  • View gallery
  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 11,079
  • Joined: 11-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Here
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

The IceMan makes a comeback......
http://axisofoverste...be-back-in.html



There are two different alpacas types, the suri and the huacaya. The suri has fiber that grows quite long and forms silky, pencil-like locks. The huacaya has a shorter, dense, crimpy fleece, giving it a very woolly appearance.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Alpacas "the aristocrat of all ranch animals"

F*** the Fast and the Furious, I'm Slow and Luxurious

If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you! - Bruce Lee
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition. - Carl Sagan
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 User is offline   ///RS-2000 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 6,076
  • Joined: 08-December 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SoCal/GripWerks
  • Country: Cayman Islands

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

Good to have Kimi back. Since the Williams deal collapsed Rubens may have one more season.I hope Renault/Lotus build a good car and I hope Williams builds a better car.

#11 User is offline   chetly 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 2,186
  • Joined: 24-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Livermore, CA
  • Country: United States
  • Interests:Proud to be the resident asshole of the S.F. Bay Area...

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

I'd love to see Senna stay on with Lotus. Seeing him in that livery reminds me of the old days with his uncle in the JPS... He's better than Petrov so as long as he has backing he should be good.
S2000- Gone
C6 Z06 current ride

#12 User is offline   A 2 

  • Topic Starter
  • News Editor

  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 37,466
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Albany, UPSTATE NY
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

I would love to see Senna at Renault as well. He definitely belongs and does appear to have a better mindset than Petrov. But having said that, I think the second seat may come down to money and to further confuse the bejeesus out of us Renault is not ruling out Robert Kubica coming back mid-season :argh:
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96579

#13 User is offline   samerthehammer 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,795
  • Joined: 04-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

View Postaashish2, on 29 November 2011 - 05:54 AM, said:

Dang! Beat me to it. I was just about to post about Kimi :p
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96573

Now I wonder what this means for Rubens at Williams :ponder: and who is Kimi replacing at Lotus? Petrov or Senna?


Well apparently there are rumors going around that Sutil might be going to Williams. Sutil and Kimi will reunite on the track (hope not haha). It also sucks for Grosjean since he is the GP2 champion and needs to find another seat. It was unfair that he had to drive the dog of a car R29 and his teammate was Alonso.

#14 User is offline   A 2 

  • Topic Starter
  • News Editor

  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 37,466
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Albany, UPSTATE NY
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

gotta post this up in honor of Kimi making a comeback :D

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   A 2 

  • Topic Starter
  • News Editor

  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 37,466
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Albany, UPSTATE NY
  • Country: United States

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

View Postsamerthehammer, on 29 November 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

View Postaashish2, on 29 November 2011 - 05:54 AM, said:

Dang! Beat me to it. I was just about to post about Kimi :p
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96573

Now I wonder what this means for Rubens at Williams :ponder: and who is Kimi replacing at Lotus? Petrov or Senna?


Well apparently there are rumors going around that Sutil might be going to Williams. Sutil and Kimi will reunite on the track (hope not haha). It also sucks for Grosjean since he is the GP2 champion and needs to find another seat. It was unfair that he had to drive the dog of a car R29 and his teammate was Alonso.


I think Force India should keep Sutil. He has been with them since the beginning and will greatly aid the team as they try to make the next leap forward. Hopefully Kimi takes a fancy to Vettel or someone else for his on track attraction :D

I agree with what you say about Grosjean. He definitely has the potential and needs a second chance. Not just any chance but a shot in a decent car. For some reason Grosjean reminds be about Bourdais. Both are great race car drivers and both had a terrible time matching up to expectations.

#16 User is offline   samerthehammer 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,795
  • Joined: 04-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:20 AM

Oh iceman.. I even took it off my iceman comment in my signature. Thank you for proving me wrong.

FI was outperforming Williams, so I am curious as to how some ppl have heard of the Sutil to Williams rumor. Maybe Williams have something up their sleeves to attract Sutil? Or is this Sutil's agent playing hardball for a new contract. Sutil did say a couple of weeks ago that he wanted his driving situation sorted out before the end of the season.

As of now there seems to be one open seat left at HRT(Pedro de la rosa was confirmed), one at Team Lotus/Caterham F1 (because Trulli hasnt been confirmed), one at Williams (pending on RB), and possibly one at LRGP/Lotus F1(between Senna, Grosjean, Petrov). I am not sure what the situation is at STR. I dont think they have confirmed anybody, but looming behind Red Bull's shadow are Ricciardo and Vergne

#17 User is offline   A 2 

  • Topic Starter
  • News Editor

  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 37,466
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Albany, UPSTATE NY
  • Country: United States

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

As far as Williams is concerned, isn't Maldonado also in doubt considering PDVSA's sponsorship of Williams is being questioned by the Venzuelan congress? What about Marussia Virgin? Have they confirmed their lineup?

#18 User is offline   A 2 

  • Topic Starter
  • News Editor

  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 37,466
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Albany, UPSTATE NY
  • Country: United States

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

FIA reveals entry list for 2012 Formula 1 season


RED BULL RACING (AUT)
Red Bull Racing Renault


1. Sebastian Vettel
2. Mark Webber


VODAFONE MCLAREN MERCEDES (GBR)
McLaren Mercedes


3. Jenson Button
4. Lewis Hamilton


SCUDERIA FERRARI (ITA)
Ferrari


5. Fernando Alonso
6. Felipe Massa


MERCEDES GP PETRONAS F1 TEAM (DEU)
Mercedes


7. Michael Schumacher
8. Nico Rosberg


LOTUS F1 TEAM (GBR)
Lotus Renault


9. Kimi Raikkonen
10. TBA


SAHARA FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM (IND)
Force India Mercedes


11. TBA
12. TBA


SAUBER F1 TEAM (CHE)
Sauber Ferrari


14. Kamui Kobayashi
15. Sergio Perez Mendoza


SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO (ITA)
STR Ferrari


16. TBA
17. TBA


AT&T WILLIAMS (GBR)
Williams Renault


18. TBA
19. TBA


TEAM CATERHAM (MAL)
Caterham Renault


20. Heikki Kovalainen
21. Jarno Trulli


HRT F1 TEAM (ESP)
TBA


22. TBA
23. TBA


MARUSSIA F1 TEAM (RUS)
Marussia Cosworth


24. Timo Glock
25. Charles Pic







#19 User is offline   ///RS-2000 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 6,076
  • Joined: 08-December 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SoCal/GripWerks
  • Country: Cayman Islands

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

View Postaashish2, on 29 November 2011 - 09:09 PM, said:

View Postsamerthehammer, on 29 November 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

View Postaashish2, on 29 November 2011 - 05:54 AM, said:

Dang! Beat me to it. I was just about to post about Kimi :p
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96573

Now I wonder what this means for Rubens at Williams :ponder: and who is Kimi replacing at Lotus? Petrov or Senna?


Well apparently there are rumors going around that Sutil might be going to Williams. Sutil and Kimi will reunite on the track (hope not haha). It also sucks for Grosjean since he is the GP2 champion and needs to find another seat. It was unfair that he had to drive the dog of a car R29 and his teammate was Alonso.


I think Force India should keep Sutil. He has been with them since the beginning and will greatly aid the team as they try to make the next leap forward. Hopefully Kimi takes a fancy to Vettel or someone else for his on track attraction :D

I agree with what you say about Grosjean. He definitely has the potential and needs a second chance. Not just any chance but a shot in a decent car. For some reason Grosjean reminds be about Bourdais. Both are great race car drivers and both had a terrible time matching up to expectations.


VJ really screwed up by not annoucing the drivers. Sutil and Di Resta has performed really well and granted that they have Hulkenberg, Sutil could be decent this coming year. As for Renault they screwed up even more by essentially promising Grosjean a drive only to have Senna perform really well in the last part of the season, re-sign Pretov after he badmouthed the team, announce that Robert may come back mid season only to take it back, and now sign Kimi.

#20 User is offline   samerthehammer 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,795
  • Joined: 04-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

This was announced before Brazil, so why did the FIA not put de la rosa in? http://www.espnstar....sa-to-join-HRT/

#21 User is offline   ytdlite 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,103
  • Joined: 05-November 04
  • Location:Monterey, CA
  • Country: Italy

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

i'm here! rotus had better reverse the direction of their exhaust outlets so as not to melt the ice man. glad hes back and please let petrov be gone. i like the line up at caterham, kovalainen and ricciardo replacing trulli. force india should keep their current drivers.
A current Formula One engine is over 20% more efficient at turning fuel into power than most small commuter cars, considering their craftsmanship.
What drives Jesus? Whats Jesus drive?
Bring back the Cannonball Trophy Dash
73 Norton Commando
77 BMW R1000S
1.8T VW
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 User is offline   A 2 

  • Topic Starter
  • News Editor

  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 37,466
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Albany, UPSTATE NY
  • Country: United States

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

View Postsamerthehammer, on 30 November 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

This was announced before Brazil, so why did the FIA not put de la rosa in? http://www.espnstar....sa-to-join-HRT/


Some kind of miscommunication I think or perhaps the FIA cutoff date was prior to the announcement. The FIA are not really the most logical people around now :D

View Postytdlite, on 01 December 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

i'm here! rotus had better reverse the direction of their exhaust outlets so as not to melt the ice man. glad hes back and please let petrov be gone. i like the line up at caterham, kovalainen and ricciardo replacing trulli. force india should keep their current drivers.


Welcome :hello:

I'm in a state of confusion. We all know that Renault will become Lotus and Lotus will become Caterham. Yet the press is writing about both using the moniker Team Lotus and it is throwing me off :LOL:

I agree with you. Force India should keep the current line-up and Huklenberg to ROTUS would be nice. I'd hate to see him sit on the sidelines for another year.

#23 User is offline   A 2 

  • Topic Starter
  • News Editor

  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Posts: 37,466
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Albany, UPSTATE NY
  • Country: United States

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

Williams confirms Maldonado. No word on who will team with him

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96608

#24 User is offline   samerthehammer 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,795
  • Joined: 04-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

View Postytdlite, on 01 December 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

i'm here! rotus had better reverse the direction of their exhaust outlets so as not to melt the ice man. glad hes back and please let petrov be gone. i like the line up at caterham, kovalainen and ricciardo replacing trulli. force india should keep their current drivers.


we wont have to worry about those exhaust because all teams have to revert back to periscope exhausts next year. wait is ricciardo really driving for caterham next season?

#25 User is offline   samerthehammer 

  • Group: Guest
  • Posts: 1,795
  • Joined: 04-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Country: United States

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

I thought this article was a good read. I tried finding it yesterday, but I didnt know how to navigate through the website to find older posts. Thankfully it was posted on Jalopnik today. Enjoy

http://news.bbc.co.u...ne/15926791.stm

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:


  • 12 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users