S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

AP2 Brake Ducts

Old 11-25-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
Default AP2 Brake Ducts

After a few months of being lazy, I finally decided to take a crack at making some brake ducts that fit to the OEM AP2 bumper. I am in the process of sanding down my bumper to be resprayed, as well as a new front lip mounted... and figured, it was already off the car, might as well do it.

First, these are NOT show quality pieces. I've thought about using them to make a mold, then shaping the mold to be nicer look (smooth, flowing, perfectly circular at the hose connection)... then sending it to someone to have them make a plastic piece off of that mold. But, for the time being... here they are.

Here's what I bought:
- masking tape
- fiberglass mat ($6.99 from Autozone)
- fiberglass resin ($16.99 1qt from autozone
- pvc 1.5" couplers (to use 2" brake duct hose) from lowes. ($0.51/ea...need two)
- brush to paint the resin on ($1.49 from lowes)

So, roughly $25 in materials, I was able to make both brake ducts. They still need some work but it's a start.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the innovation. Good job. Function over form. Im pretty sure, if you keep making these, youll make it perfect and then you could put it into production one day.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to do the same but with 2.5 " ducting ... if you add some mesh between the bumper and funnel it will be a cleaner look (in my opinion)
Old 11-25-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Living in the redline
i want to do the same but with 2.5 " ducting ... if you add some mesh between the bumper and funnel it will be a cleaner look (in my opinion)
to do 2.5", just use a 2" coupler as your frame...the extra .5" will be in the coupler wall thickness and fiberglass.
Mesh could be added... I may just leave it open.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

*wanting to tease you about your mad layup skills*
Old 11-25-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by krazik
*wanting to tease you about your mad layup skills*
do it! I never said I was a professional, let alone GOOD at doing fiberglass... haha
Old 11-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lol yeah I'm sure my attempt would look worse
Old 11-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can I play too?

I picked up this used, beat up bumper, and went to town trimming the faux ducts...

Cleaned it up, then sent it out for a quick spray of NFR...

Took some measurements, and did a quick 3D drawing. Worked around a 2.5" hose diameter, guestimated the shell thickness and overall length...

Made a custom mold using my engineering software, and did a fiberglass layup. Gave the ducts a quick sanding once removed from the molds, cleaned with alcohol, then coated with Krylon Plastic paint to give it a clean OEM look.

The duct joined to the bumper...

Attaching 2.5" hose to the dust shields. I used a 2.5" aluminum flange, and 5mm hex screws with locking washers and teflon lock nuts, to prevent any chance of rattling loose...

And here is the finished product, fitted to the car, with hoses attached.

Pics do not do it justice. In person, it looks like the car came from the factory with integrated brake ducts. Hope I didn't hijack the thread
Old 11-25-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

06Estukay, that is awesome. The OP try is also good. But you just have the resource to take it to another level. If you're selling those, I'm interested in buying.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
06Estukay, that is awesome. The OP try is also good. But you just have the resource to take it to another level. If you're selling those, I'm interested in buying.

Thanks dude. Also, +1 on good try from OP. I'm not a professional fabricator by any means. I made the mold and laid the fiberglass on my apartment balcony hehe. Just took my time, and thought everything through. I'm actually working on getting a few sets made for some local guys, since they love them so much.

Quick Reply: AP2 Brake Ducts