• You cannot reply to this topic

Turbo FR-S Spotted Motor Trend spotted

#1 User is offline   Saki GT 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:Ballooons!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

http://www.motortren...during_testing/

Already testing? Will it be a spec racer only or possibly a production car?

Sounds good, but will it get more power? That’s been the No. 1 followup question since long before joint Toyota/Subaru effort that became the U.S. bound 2013 Scion FR-S (and its Subaru BRZ twin) rear drive sports coupe ever saw the light of day.
Reading the tea leaves after our recent drives of the FR-S and BRZ, it’s all but certain that the Subaru-derived 200-horsepower 2.0-liter four-cylinder 4U-GSE boxer will eventually be boosted to deliver more horses, but when?

If the FR-S prototype that our very own Web production manager Kirill Ougarov recently spotted at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is any indication, it looks like it won’t be long. Ougarov, who shot the photos and video, indicated that the white car was 'definitely' turbocharged -- turn up the sound as it drifts briefly around the corner and you’ll likely agree.
Speaking of drifting, given that both the white-winged car and the car behind it were FR-S models, it stands to reason that this could be the Scion drift team getting in some testing before the 2012 season. Scion is heavy into drifting and has campaigned a tC modified to rear drive specifically for the team.

It’s an absolute no brainer for the FR-S to take over as the Scion drift team star, but it stands to reason that in order to really get its drift on, the FR-S would need more power.
Whatever the reason for its presence at Mazda Raceway, the FR-S turbo sighting is good news for drift fans and all those who already can’t wait for a higher spec version of the FR-S. Given that the base FR-S and BRZ won’t be on sale in base form until mid-year, we wouldn't expect any turbocharged production model until close to the end of 2012.

Read more: http://www.motortren.../#ixzz1iQb7ypRN

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 User is offline   hondafrvr 

• Group: Guest

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

:surprised: :drool:

This post has been edited by hondafrvr: 03 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

#3 User is offline   HMFIC 

• View gallery
  • Group: Member

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

interesting.

#4 User is offline   sparrow 

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

S2ki server overload imminent...

After clicking the link Don appears to be right. I wouldn't call that a prototype or production car at all.
I DON'T NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS
Servin' bammas on S2KI since 07
Official McDavid spokesperson for Car Talk
FREE MR E.G.
DON'T BAN ME BRO!

#5 User is offline   TheDonEffect 

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hmm, or maybe it's just the Scion team's drift car? I would believe it more if it was in camo or something, vs. big wing with vinyl graphics. I mean I'm not doubting that a turbo version is coming, but this doesn't look like a prototype to me, unless they're killing two birds with one stone.
Posted Image

#6 User is online   JonBoy 

• Interests:Karting, driving in general, ice hockey, racquetball, racing, working out

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

Massive wing + decals = drift car, to me. Doesn't seem like a reasonable vehicle for the public at all.
"The only competition worthy of a wise man is with himself." - Washington Allston

My Flickr

#7 User is offline   Switchblade 

• Interests:Paintball, driving, cars, collecting edged weapons

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

Awesome!! Nice find!! :thumbup:
Posted Image

MY2000 #2249 MODS: APR carbon fiber spark plug cover, Megan Racing test pipe, Megan Racing drift spec catback exhaust, K&N drop-in filter, Tanabe NF210 springs, OEM front lip,OEM rear lip spoiler, AP1 OEM wheels painted black w/chrome lip, Rick's smoked side markers, carbon fiber cooling plate

#8 User is offline   Gigdy 

• Interests:Basket Weaving and Alex

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

Were they testing this with the new C7?

#9 User is offline   North Star 

• Interests:Cars

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

Can't wait to see the D1 team car and how it does in competition.

I have no doubts that a boosted version will come out at some point for the BRZ and FR-S
Posted Image
'05 XT - current beast . '04 STi - sold, will be missed . '06 S2000 - sorely missed

#10 User is offline   Angerman 

• Group: Guest New
  • Interests:Car parts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

^ dem titz :drool:
Old| 2005 s2000: KPRO, Invidia q300 v4, PLM header, BERK 70mm HFC, Vortech v2 (3.6" Reichard Pulley), FMIC, ID 725cc (397whp/243tq @9psi, Tuned at Innovative Motorworks.
New| 2008 135i: COBB Stage 2+, ER CP, TiAL Q, BMS OCC, BMS DCI, Active Autowerke 2.0 Sport FMIC, VRSF 3" DPs, CP-E Axleback, Robs' PCV. Coming Soon: AMS FMIC, welded 3" cold piping; Protuning Freaks Protune

#11 User is offline   RedCelica 

• View gallery

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

They are going to need 250hp at least to compete in the market...sad they'll need boost to reach such a low number :ponder:
2002 Sebring Silver AP1 - OEM hardtop (gutted soft top) with Izzy race mounts, Ohlins DFV, hard dog rollbar, comptech adj front sway, neuspeed x-brace, buddyclub fia seats, pryotect harnesses, k&n fipk, jdm headlights, Berk 3" headerback, custom front brake ducting, TR C3 17x9 w/ 255/40/17 RS3s

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   Christople 

• Interests:Technology

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

interesting... at least they are changing it up

Steve C will never be forgotten
Previous Cars

1991 Toyota Celica GT (SOLD)
1995 Acura Integra GSR (FLOODED/SOLD)
2000 Honda S2000 (TRADE IN)
2002 BMW 330i (SOLD)
2001 Mazda Miata (Auto-Xed and SOLD)
2004 Subaru WRX (Current Ride, Thanks Mingster!)
2003 Vette 6sp (weekender)

#13 User is offline   Syn 

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:28 AM

I love all the replies on that site with people crying that more power ruins the car and what it is supposed to be. I get that some people think 200hp is enough, and that having a low(er) cost lightweight RWD sport coupe is a nice change of pace, but it's not like anyone is putting a gun to their head forcing them to buy the boosted version. Let the people who require having at least equal power to all modern sedans have their fun too.
Posted Image
2006 S2000 - Flashpro tuned by Gernby, 60mm test pipe [vtec: 3600-8500rpm], BFG G-Force Rivals, AP1 slave cylinder
1999 Trans Am - bolt-ons
1992 3000GT VR-4 - bolt-ons - sold
1966 Impala convertible - stock 327/Powerglide - currently in storage

#14 User is offline   RedCelica 

• View gallery

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

Sure, if it weighted 2200 lbs, then 200hp would be fine...but it doesn't, it's more like 2700 lbs. And at that, I still hold that somewhere around 270-280 would be a great starting point.

#15 User is offline   Steponme 

• Group: Banned

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Didn't TRD suggest that they are in the process of developing a forced induction kit for the FR-S? that would be the way to go because it'll have the factory warranty as well. I don't see them offering an F/I kit and a turbocharged model at the same time. So most likely, that car is some sort of race/drift car.
"You thought I was a small weakling, but in reality, I could pick you up with one hand and throw you into space." Anonymous, 2011 A.D.
I have probably set a world record with 7 complete one-arm pull-ups by any person with 2 arms and 2 legs. :D

Description:

The one armed chin-up is one of only a handful of bodyweight exercises that get a 10 for difficulty rating by unique bodyweight exercises. It is without doubt a daunting challenge and can take many months or several years to master but at the same time, it is also one of the most impressive physical feats you can achieve and if you do nail it (one, much less 7), you can take comfort in the fact that you will be part of an elite group as only one person in every one hundred thousand can manage it.

#16 User is offline   wdtd 

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

One-off turbo version of Scion FR-S, yes; turbo-lite consumer version, maybe.

http://mycartop.com/...car-in-detroit/

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   North Star 

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

I saw that team drift car too. Sounds like the team is really excited for this season with the new FR-S.

#18 User is offline   WolfpackS2k 

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

RedCelica, on 06 January 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

Sure, if it weighted 2200 lbs, then 200hp would be fine...but it doesn't, it's more like 2700 lbs. And at that, I still hold that somewhere around 270-280 would be a great starting point.

agreed
2006 Basalt Black Porsche Cayman S
supercharged 2013 SWP BRZ Limited - totaled at VIR
2007 NFR S2000 - sold but missed
1992 Integra GS-R

#19 User is offline   iamxpL 

• Group: Community Organizer

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

hehe someone beat me to it. it actually produces 500-600hp range.
-Hezron Laluces

Sebring AP2 '06 [Sold to a friend]
RYP 2008 CR #508
STR 88

Posted Image
Posted Image

Auto X pictures thread
B Street to STR to A street
Karcepts Adjustable Sway Bar install

#20 User is offline   North Star 

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

I don't believe the FA was used in this drift car. I think it is a built STI block.

#21 User is offline   iamxpL 

• Group: Community Organizer

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

i can always find out if you guys are that interested. lol

#22 User is online   Mr.E.G. 

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

North Star, on 05 January 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Can't wait to see the D1 team car and how it does in "competition".

I have no doubts that a boosted version will come out at some point for the BRZ and FR-S

Fixed. :p

#23 User is offline   XtC-604 

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

This car will need more than 200hp to be even considered remotely fun...it already sucks when we s2000 owners have to rev the car a little higher every gear to even be on pace with corollas in normal stop n go. with 40hp less o dear god...

#24 User is offline   macdaddies911 

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

XtC-604, on 18 January 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

This car will need more than 200hp to be even considered remotely fun...it already sucks when we s2000 owners have to rev the car a little higher every gear to even be on pace with corollas in normal stop n go. with 40hp less o dear god...

Its refreshing to hear someone say this... 200HP is terrible for real world use. Sure it will be fun on a track, but everyday driving would be boring. lets be honest straightaways and a few curvy roads are what you will encounter everyday, not a tight little track. I miss my S2000 so DAMN much but it was annoying winding it out just to keep up with grocery grabbers during normal acceleration. So I agree, with 40hp less I couldn't imagine how mundane it would become.

For me a used C6, 335, 135, 5.0 Stang, etc would be money better spent (FOR ME). Or for 10K i'd just buy another s2k, or 18k for a TC/SC S2000 ;).

In before some 40 year old fat-ass picks apart my post and talks about warranties...

#25 User is offline   TheDonEffect 

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:55 PM

macdaddies911, on 18 January 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

XtC-604, on 18 January 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

Its refreshing to hear someone say this... 200HP is terrible for real world use. Sure it will be fun on a track, but everyday driving would be boring. lets be honest straightaways and a few curvy roads are what you will encounter everyday, not a tight little track. I miss my S2000 so DAMN much but it was annoying winding it out just to keep up with grocery grabbers during normal acceleration. So I agree, with 40hp less I couldn't imagine how mundane it would become.

For me a used C6, 335, 135, 5.0 Stang, etc would be money better spent (FOR ME). Or for 10K i'd just buy another s2k, or 18k for a TC/SC S2000 ;).

In before some 40 year old fat-ass picks apart my post and talks about warranties...

Grow up from your highway racing, fast and furious ways! Jk, I completely agree. Power is more fun in the day to day, a quick jab with the foot and you get a nice little grin. I appreciate a well sorted handling car as much as the next guy, but there's a reason why people don't get excited about miatas and such. I mean, would a GTR handle any worse with half the power? Not really, but god knows it wouldnt be able to warrant the price or garner the interest that it does without it.

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users