UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The PRM vs K&N FIPK question

Old 03-03-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The PRM vs K&N FIPK question

Some time ago I got into a bit of a debate with GT750boy on here about which induction system sounded better on the S2000. The PRM or the K&N FIPK.

I've had a PRM for some time and today swapped it for the K&N (I was bored and fancied a change).

Both systems sound pretty much the same when not in vtec (No great surprise there). Neither seems to give any noticeable performance gain and I suspect most people just buy them for the sound.

I can understand why people like the K&N when they've had a stock airbox. It sounds great in vtec but in comparison to the PRM it's quite tame.

The PRM on full chat sounds raw, loud, mechanical and utterly fantastic. I don't dislike the K&N, it's just more civilised, tame, it sounds smoother.

They both "feel" exactly the same though.

I'll keep the K&N for the next year or so and see how it goes. I'm quite looking forward to getting used to it so that next time I get bored I can be "wowed" by a PRM again.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll keep my eye on this, about 6 months then, I'll start saving
Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the sound of my K&N!!

There was a post on here recently where someone said the PRM sounded better from outside the car whereas the K&N sounded better from the drivers seat.

Don't know how true that is but what I do know is that the K&N combined with Dixon's Pro65R makes a cracking sound - noise front & rear
Old 03-03-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Same page Gary - the K&N sounds nice ....... but the PRM has that bit more agressive sound about it. I will probably end up refitting it at some point
Old 03-03-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm looking forward to getting this PRM now for sure! From the OEM Airbox it'll sound amazing no doubt!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blue monster
I love the sound of my K&N!!

There was a post on here recently where someone said the PRM sounded better from outside the car whereas the K&N sounded better from the drivers seat.
I've got no idea how it sounds in vtec from outside the car without standing at the side of the road while I let the wife gun it past me and there are many many reasons that isn't going to happen.

What I do know is that from inside the car and comparing the 2 back to back with the top down, the K&N sounds good while the PRM sounds completely mental!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GaryB
What I do know is that from inside the car and comparing the 2 back to back with the top down, the K&N sounds good while the PRM sounds completely mental!
I got my PRM (courtesy of GaryB) fitted last - and I can second that is completely mental! I can't believe how loud it is, it's fantastic! Love the audible difference when the VTEC cams kick in.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Where can I get one of these PRM intakes? I can't seem to see any distributor in the UK.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How different does the PRM sound to the aem?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRM-350Z-I...item3f13c93536

if you can find the rest of the pipework / adapt one of those cheap 'orrible induction kits to fit ... this might be worth a look/

Quick Reply: The PRM vs K&N FIPK question