Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Heated Seat Install - The ultimate mod!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated Seat Install - The ultimate mod!

Hey all.

This past weekend I installed some heated seats into Toreus' S (which his help, soldering can be a bear without that third hand). We used a set of the carbon fiber pads from eBay as that's what I have run in my car with excellent results. It was a very time consuming process, starting around 8:00am and finishing up around 4:00pm with a lunch break, but the end results came out great. The pads come with two settings. High warms up after about 2 minutes, and gets rather toasty shortly after. Low is perfect on those brisk morning drives. Thanks Ed for being patient during the install and for trusting me with your car, hopefully those top down days with a warm back side will make up for it!

In process (with sleeping animals to help). We also installed a pad on the backrest but failed to take any pictures:

The completed seats (its like nothing happened!):

And where we opted to put the switches:

Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice install. How much does this cost?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 9000revolutions
Very nice install. How much does this cost?
Not much, if you're willing to do all the labor yourself. The heating pads are ~75$ on ebay. It's several hours worth of work though, so I would honestly suggest recruiting a friend, if not for assistance, at least for the company.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 AM

Been thinking about doing this for a while.. but i've been waiting for them to come with a seat cooler too.. can't find one.

I think for my body at least it would come in more handy since I get hot easily.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 AM

Wow pretty cool. Im assuming most of the work was taking the seats apart. what did you wire up the power to? The power outlet?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM

Yup, the pads themselves only cost $70-80 on eBay, but the labor definitely gets you. I'm all for helping folks out, but the nature of this install warrants asking for some installation costs. Its very easy to make a significant mistake (either causing inadvertent damage to the seats or incorrectly wiring the lines), so there is a bit of risk for the installer. Most places will charge you upwards of $400-500 for something like this (not including the hardware), I charged Ed much less.

I have actually seen them selling heated / cooled seat sets on eBay, but our seats would require a little bit more modification to get the fans into place, and honestly is probably more trouble and cost than its worth. The heated pads are a relatively simple mod and REALLY help on those top up days below 40 F and the top down days below 70 F. I have them in my car, and I honestly can't imagine life without them. For a DD, there really is no better modification IMO.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM

Nice work, Kamil.

I think I'm ready for the swap after the Dragon trip.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Uncoolron
Nice work, Kamil.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that, can't wait! Just name a time and place, and I'll be there You'll be getting one seat with this mod completed, if you have any desire to keep it for DD duty.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by liquidgsr
Wow pretty cool. Im assuming most of the work was taking the seats apart. what did you wire up the power to? The power outlet?
Yeah, we tapped into the 9V outlet right there. Powers both seats on high, and my phone, without a problem. I probably won't plug anything larger than that into the outlet with the seats on though, no reason to push the juice limit.

The fuses are easily accessible, right underneath the seats. The install is super clean - which leads me to something I should have said in my first post - Kamil was awesome and I really appreciated him helping me with this. Heated seats already sound like a great mod for the S, but they are honestly even better in practice than in theory. I recommend that anyone even somewhat considering doing this should take the plunge.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by aeonracer
Originally Posted by Uncoolron' timestamp='1333992241' post='21590628
Nice work, Kamil.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that, can't wait! Just name a time and place, and I'll be there You'll be getting one seat with this mod completed, if you have any desire to keep it for DD duty.
Sweet. I'll contact you once we are back.

Quick Reply: Heated Seat Install - The ultimate mod!