S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Subaru BRZ

Old 07-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Subaru BRZ

Original teaser pic:

Introduction

The Subaru BRZ is the culmination of Toyota and Subaru's combined engineering prowess. It is likely the first car from either company that has caught the eye of R&C's resident s2k drivers. Suspecting that this car has great potential Mike K. (aka psychoazn on S2ki) placed a deposit in January 2012, and took delivery of a Satin White Pearl 2013 Subaru BRZ on July 24th, 2012.

Testing was performed at the Streets of Willow Springs. Saturday's morning event was run CW, while the night and Sunday events were run CCW.

Initial Impressions

The BRZ is roomy. I have far more arm room than in the s2k. In fact, I even feel that the car is "too large". I'm further away from the shifter than I'm used to. However, the car has a very distinctive Subaru feel to me. The shifter feels as if it's out of a STi, but with far more precision. The new car smell is the same as that of my 06 STI. The tach does a "sweep" every time the car is turned on. Even the clutch engages in the same fashion as the STI.

During break-in, I followed a strict procedure of keeping the RPMs under 3k, and very light load on the throttle. Even then, the car felt peppy. It gave the impression that there was far more waiting to be unleashed when I would be able to experience the 7400 RPM redline. Brake pedal feel was good (the has a twin piston floating caliper front brake) and the car definitely turned FAR better than I expected, given that the tires are shared with... a Toyota Prius. Getting to a minimum was simply excruciating.

Track Prep

Carbotech XP10/XP8 pads were acquired from 949 Racing, and the brake system was flushed with Ferrodo SRF from Essex Racing. RPF1 with 17x8 +45 (5x100 bolt pattern! ) with stock size (215/45/17) Z1 Star Specs were prepared, as well as a muffler delete from CounterSpace Garage. These would be put on at the track.

Stock impression at the track

The car needs more power. It can BARELY break the stock tires loose, and only at 6.5k+ RPM. Under steady state cornering, the car suffers from standard Subaru understeer. You have to force it to break the rear loose (clutch kick, LARGE rough input, throwing the weight around, e-brake, but not mid-turn braking); power-over is nearly non-existant. However, when the rear does come out, it's VERY easy to manage. It's nothing like the s2k's ultra-trigger-happy rear end, and I was easily able to hold larger and larger angles and slides. I would predict that this is going to be a very popular drift car as the price goes down, 10-15 years from now. It's definitely fun to drift.

I ran a 1:35.9 my first lap in an ambient temp of 87F. I only did 2 hot laps, as I wanted to preserve the stock tires. They were already chunking.

Stock + Z1 Star Spec impression at the track

I'll admit, I was very disappointed. Compounded with my total of 6 hours of sleep in the previous 4 days attempting to break-in and prep the car, I completely lost the will to drive. I feared that putting on the Z1SS would only make the car understeer worse and less fun to drive.

Mid day rolled around, and I finally decided that I might as well try the Z1SS, as I had already signed up for 3 back-to-back track days (Extreme Speed was hosting day events on Saturday and Sunday, as well as a night event on Saturday). Instructing some novices had cheered me up, and quite a few attendees were interested in seeing what the car could do with better tires.

Entering the skidpad, I could already tell that the car had come alive. With the increased grip all around, I was able to much more comfortably explore the limits of the car's chassis and suspension. I could force the rear to come out by swinging the weight around, but the car otherwise still understeered, albeit mildly, even under WOT. There was no way to break the tires loose with the additional grip, even in 2nd gear.

I ran a 1:30.9 after two laps with a passenger in 82F ambient. Being too exhausted, I would retire from trying for a fast lap time, and settled for more instructing newbies, and giving some friends rides in the BRZ.

The next day, I ran in the "Subie Extreme" competition amidst a swarm of WRXs and STis. I'd finish mid-pack with a best time of 1:31.4 in 106F ambient. The track surface was far too hot to even touch. I would imagine that in winter temps, the car would be 2.5 seconds faster.

All driving was done on stock alignment (~ -0.6 front camber, -0.3 rear camber, from what I've read). Mark Tsai (colatkitty) ran a 1:32.x in the car, cruising.

Additional Info

The car DOES comfortably fit 4 rims/tires, tools, and everything else you need for two people. Additionally, the car is "overbuilt". It blatently screams that a turbo version is in the works. Exhaust piping, oversized throttle body, etc.

Street Driving Impressions

The car is comfortable. It handles similar enough to the S2k that I have no qualms about saying that it is almost every bit as fun driving around on public roads; the only thing lacking is acceleration. It has modern features (Voice commands, nav, bluetooth, XM/HD radio) and is very well insulated from wind noise. It even has plenty of space. I've fit 4x 255/40/17 tires in it with plenty of room to spare for tools, helmets, and gear for a weekend at the track and the trunk will easily accommodate 2 full size luggage. If you fold down the back seat, you can fit 4, or 5 if you don't mind losing visibility out the rear window.

Conclusion

The BRZ is better than sum of its parts. Looking at specs: McPherson strut, not so hot HP/weight ratio, rough revving boxer engine, crappy dyno graph (with that big dip mid rpm), you'd never expect this car to perform as well as it does. With some parts (coilovers, RCA, splitter, wing, rims, tires), this car will easily outperform a similarly modified S2k at the track. I'm excited to turbo this car

For daily driving, if you don't mind trading a little power and the ability to go top-down on a whim for comfort and modern technology, this is easily the superior car.

I observed about 30 mpg combined city and hwy driving; I typically see low 20's in my track-prepped CR.

Pictures

Yes, at the track already

Videos

First lap ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYKH0T86i0o

Night lap CCW.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVkQXqsbXfE
Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake fluid?

Looking forward to the review (note cargo space please!)
Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the largest wheel/tire combo you can fit under there? What offsets?

Were you able to get alignment?

Eager to hear your experience, my brother is looking for one too
Old 07-26-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

excited to hear about this too. Where are you going? Streets - sat or sunday? Or Buttonwillow?

I'm hoping Streets on Sat- I'll be there... I want a ride along
Old 07-26-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Can't wait for your impressions. Looks to be a great car!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

I too am curious about this. Ive seen a few around town and have been trying to convince a friend to buy one, mostly so I can hoon it since my garage is quite full.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:14 PM

Don't think I posted this here -- my impressions after driving one at a National Tour (autocross): http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...59#post5854559
Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by rohde88
Brake fluid?Looking forward to the review (note cargo space please!)
Already confirmed the car can hold 4 rims, at least in the size I have (17x8 [ugh 5x100; 17x9 is nearly non-existant at an affordable price]). I needed to load up 3 rims and 3 tires to get them mounted (long story) and it fit fine. The "5th item" was put in the passenger seat, but there's absolutely no reason why 4 rims mounted with tires wouldn't fit in the back.

I'll be loading up 4 rims/tires, tools, floor jack, backpacks, "muffler delete pipe" (car is way too quiet) and accessories. It should all fit.

Originally Posted by ghostsnake
What's the largest wheel/tire combo you can fit under there? What offsets?Were you able to get alignment?Eager to hear your experience, my brother is looking for one too
People have fit 255/40/17 already. Fitting should be no issue; the car uses higher offsets similar to the s2k, but the 5x100 bolt pattern is annoying. STi hubs are a direct swap, but are $$$ (well into the 4 figure range). On the flip side, 04 STi brembos are a bolt-on (04 had 5x100)

I will be using 17x8 +45 with 215/45/17 star specs. I wanted to keep tire size a constant, just to see what "good tires" will do compared to the stocks. I'll be running both setups this weekend.

There is ONLY toe adjustment f/r on the car from the factory. Numbers I've heard is about -0.7 camber front and -0.3 camber rear, stock.

Originally Posted by Bullwings
excited to hear about this too. Where are you going? Streets - sat or sunday? Or Buttonwillow?I'm hoping Streets on Sat- I'll be there... I want a ride along
SoWS both days.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 AM

Oh, the car has no power. The s2k is no straightline champion, but it'll whomp all over a BRZ/FRS.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:40 AM

Lolz Other impressions besides that? Does the lack of acceleration essentially makes everything else feel "better" ?

Quick Reply: Subaru BRZ