Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

Need advice- rough idle with check engine light

Old 05-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need advice- rough idle with check engine light

Hi everyone-

So the other day I had the misfortune of missing a gear and by doing that I over reving the engine. Basically at the next stop light the engine starting idling rough and the check engine light came on but once I start driving you cant notice anything and the light goes off. I starting looking into the forums and came across this https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...e-light-17572/ ......now I'm freaking out as this post talks about the valves are most likely bent.

Any other ideas of what the problem could be? Who knows a trust worthy shop that can take a look at this for me?

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-15-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you own an AP1 you may have cracked one or more valve retainers. They recommend you replace them with AP2 retainers. There should be many threads on the subject in this forum.
GOOD LUCK!!
Old 05-16-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully it is a quick fix.

I do not really have a suggestion for a shop to look into this. I will keep thinking though.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 PM

Even though I have not had that many replies from my original post, I thought I would give an update. I used an OBD device to scan my ecu and I received the code P0304, which is a misfire in cylinder 4.
  1. My first steps are going to check the compression (fingers crossed they all read good). I’m hoping I don’t have any cracked retainers or bent valves, as this will be the last resort to look into. If the compression comes back ok I will do…..
  2. I read a lot about everyone replacing the spark plugs and coil packs with no resolution but I will start by replacing all the plugs and a new coil pack for cylinder 4. I will also be buying “sea foam” as I hear this can be very helpful with cleaning the injectors. Maybe my injectors are dirty?? No I idea.
  3. If the compression comes back ok and the plugs and coil pack does not help I will probably have a shop do a leak down test. I know the car had a valve adjustment at around 45-50k and the car is at 67k now but I will have the valves checked too.
  4. If the compression comes back bad in cylinder 4 or others I guess I need to have a shop look at the valves and retainers.
Are these steps correct to do? Am I covering my entire basis? Maybe it’s not all in the correct order but I know I want to do the compression test, plugs and coil pack first.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:15 PM

I would definitely check for cracked retainers. Pull off the valve cover and you should be able to tell if a retainer is cracked bc the end of the valve will be "sunken" into the retainer.

A long shot since you mentioned it was done pretty recently, but you could also check your valve clearance to make sure it is not causing an issue with the compression.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd skip 1-3 (especially the seafoam) and go right to checking for the cracked retainer/bent valves. Assuming you have an AP1 I'd be willing to bet top dollar this is your issue.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a cracked retainer and probably a bent valve or at best maybe it dropped just enough to throw the cel for a misfire but not make contact with the piston.

I wouldnt drive it until you get it looked at. Best case you might still be able to do the retainers without pulling the head and see if that fixes it.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:02 PM

Any update on your car? Get everything worked out?
Old 08-16-2017, 05:11 PM

All fixed.....after 2 1/2 months of headaches! 1 cracked retainer but also bent valves. Did a complete upgrade of the valve train. All new intake and exhaust valves as well as springs, retainers, keepers and seats. Supertech parts. Yes, you are correct to say it was expensive. haha. At the end of it all though, I'm happy to write the check since I didn't wreck it and its running better than ever.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by SJR2000
All fixed.....after 2 1/2 months of headaches! 1 cracked retainer but also bent valves. Did a complete upgrade of the valve train. All new intake and exhaust valves as well as springs, retainers, keepers and seats. Supertech parts. Yes, you are correct to say it was expensive. haha. At the end of it all though, I'm happy to write the check since I didn't wreck it and its running better than ever.
Glad you got it fixed!

Quick Reply: Need advice- rough idle with check engine light