Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Check Engine Light

Old 07-26-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

Has anyone experienced a CEL code P0411?

I looked it up and it returns Secondary Air Injection System, but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience. That means air pump to me.

For anyone that knows and talks to me, you would know that i've been having air pump problems for some time, and I'm wondering if that would explain why my air pump randomly turns on, even when the car is fully warmed up: because it was faulty and starting to fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:47 PM

yo, for me it was the air pump. it has chewed its self apart and melted the impellor to the housing. REALLY sucks. check your 60A fuse under the hood. also listen for it to work on a cold start. let us know
Old 07-26-2009, 02:47 PM

Also check your vacuum lines under the hood by the intake manifold.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:12 PM

Well the ECU must be getting a signal that your engine is cold to command the air pump on.If the air pump is functioning it is probably ok. Its gotta be a triggering device,sensor,wiring,or something that is tricking your ECU to command your pump on at the wrong time it could be the pump itself.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:23 PM

I've had this CEL pop up on me after my Vortech install. check all vac lines. mine were crossed. Look for kinks, tears, in the lines... even a little pin prick in the vac lines can cause a CEL. Also, check the fuse. these are simple things you can check before taking it in somewhere.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:31 PM

Excellent

Thank you all for the input. I will look into all of these.

When the CEL came on, it was instant, like right as I started it up, and I don't recall it clicking on this time when I started, and it was idling different that it normally does until it warmed up.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:49 PM

What trips P0411 is the O2 sensor not detecting a lean condition when the computer has turned the air pump on. The system works like this:

Air pump turns on for 5 second intervals until coolant temp is above 153 degrees. It also comes on under moderate to heavy braking which is why clearing this code after warm up then trying to drive to the emission facility wont work, because sooner or later you hit the brakes( yes I'm a little bitter).

So the air pump turns on and pumps air to a air valve located on the firewall side of the intake manifold. The air valve is opened by a electronic vacuum solenoid attached to the air box. once the air passes through the air valve it runs through ports cast into the intake manifold and cylinder head (which are not there on 06+ since they got rid of the air pump), entering the exhaust stream right before the exhaust header. The O2 sensor detects a lean condition relaying a signal to the computer that the system worked correctly.

So check the vacuum lines to the air valve and the vacuum solenoid, especially if you did a cold air intake or something recently. If that checks out then the air pump probably has burned a hole through its housing, which is so common there is a Honda TSB on it.

Got to learn all this when I swapped the 06+ engine into my 04. I built a on the header air injection manifold like a old Chevy to get it through smog. Now some company makes a electronic device for $100 to trick the computer into thinking it works.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:01 PM

Ooo I just realized that under hard braking too, I'm guessing that's to help it from stalling???
Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 PM

I would assume it wants to get extra air to the cat to get it hotter to help burn off all the excess unburnt fuel you get on a deceleration.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 AM

Just recentlyhad this code. It was my vac lines also

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light