Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Phoenix Auto Show...

Old 01-03-2003, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Auto Show...

So I was going to swing by the Phoenix Auto Show this weekend, anyone who had gone I would like some insights if it's worth my time.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:06 PM

I have gone a few times and it has always been a bit of a let down. They don't really have any great exhibits. You will find youself wondering where a lot of the cool cars are, because this show is really not that big. There is a small section of exotics.

Don't get me wrong, it can be a nice way to spend a few hours. But, if you have better things to do you won't be missing too much.

***DISCLAIMER***

The above statement is the sole opinion of Adam Thaler. It in no way relects the opinions of people who actually enjoy the car show. Please take this opinion with a grain of salt. Thank You.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:29 PM

Hello !

I would completely agree GNALUZA . It is a very small show and
most if not all the introduction and concept cars ran the circuits at both Detroit and Los Angles auto show last year.
That is why every year this time I travel to Los Angles for
the weekend and attend the auto show there. Much larger
along with a complete showing of all manufactures. If you ever
get the chance to go to the LA show then do it! But if you a
car nut , as most of us are! you can still enjoy the Phoenix show.

Detroenix

Andrew Garnham
Old 01-03-2003, 11:23 PM

I go every year - went on Wednesday to the 03 show. Sure, I'd agree that it's no Detroit or LA show, but still very much worth the time. For the last two years, I've left the show feeling completely satisfied that I have an S2K in my driveway. Of course, I feel that way every time I push the red button, but walking out of an auto show and still feeling that way is well worth the $6 admission.

It's a great opportunity to see what's new up close. Sit in the new Accord Coupe and realize that the leather seats really are the most comfortable Honda has ever made. Sit inside the Boxster and argue with the hot dealer about whether or not two golf bags really will fit in the trunk. Make fun of the people that are intrigued by the Aztek. You get the drift...

There's a Ferrari and an Aston Martin, and a Porsche display that is great. It was interesting to see the new Mazda 6 - excellent exterior styling, but a shame to see it has the same interior as a 1990 Miata. There's a Miata decked out to $27K + and you are left wondering why one wouldn't just by an S2K. The Acura display included the updated NSX this year - what a beautiful car...

Disappointments for this year included the lack of a real Mini Cooper display (in my opinion, the only car besides ours with any kind of personality for under $30K) and I keep wondering why Audi hasn't had an exhibit in the last 3 years - I really like the new A4.

Overall, I left this show thoroughly un-inspired about the auto industry - Nissan's got the best new styling (Murano , 350Z) , Honda has the best interiors / technology, but in a boring shell (Pilot, CRV, Element, Civic....). The BMW display is inspiration to keep working so hard. Racing the AMG CLK down the 51 on the way home made me appreciate what a great machine I get to drive every day.

So, in a long-winded round-about way, I'm trying to say that it's definately worth going to. Just don't expect to see more than a couple of concept cars or anything you can't see at a dealership - you just get all the dealerships under one roof without a bunch of sleazy sales people breathing down your necks.

I'll be back for more next year.

Dave