Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Thinking about this CR

Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about this CR

http://www.davidmcdavidacuraplano.co...65a9f0c849.htm

So, browsing this morning, came across this 08 RYP CR.

I have an 07 RYP with 50K miles, and I'm not planning any mods to it. Can I get some thoughts on this CR? Only room for 1 S2K in the garage, so this would be a buy & sell.

Never ridden in a CR, only aware of the differences in stats. However, my main thing here is I am keeping an S2K for the long haul as a start to my (hopefully) future collection.

Any help appreciated!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Couple things if you want my advice since i had a '04 before buying my CR.

1, ask some guys in TX to go look at the car first. That is actually one of the cheapest CR's posted for sale that I have seen in a long time...

Go drive a CR first. You are welcome to meet up with me this weekend if you want to check out my car and go for a ride/drive it. It is still a S2000 and will feel familiar, but its a very different car, so it feels the same, yet very different.

Can you live without the soft top? I still really really miss the convenience and the S2000 just isnt the same fun car with the top on imo. I do take the hardtop off here and there but its a burden on my women who isnt all that fond of doing it frequently. Plus you have to be sure the weather is clear before leaving the house (not much of a problem in AZ). Also I wouldnt go running errands in the car with the top off unless its quick trips and you can watch the car (im paranoid and un trusting of the general public )

Will it be your daily driver? I did daily mine and I miss not driving it often, but my old Ap2 was more comfortable as a daily, and the soft top was nice.

If you dont plan on modding than a CR is a good option. I had lots of mod plans but I have done very little to the CR because I dont want to ruin it and its actually a pretty awesome car for something that rolled off a dealership floor. I believe 100% that a CR already feels like a modded car suspension wise. The car is much stiffer and handles so much better than a stock S2000, that said, its certainly stiffer, bumpier, and more jarring over bumps than a non CR

People on the forums and in general will bash the CR, so hopefully stuff like that doesnt bother you. I still have my friends in this community tell me how much they hate the color ABP, and the aero add ons are stupid. I could care less because I love the car and its looks. Even though the car gets bashed, its still sought after and prices seem to be holding steady, if not increasing. I bought my CR when S2000 prices were at a low, so I have actually made a considerable amount of money off it. I expect prices to continue to hold steady, or increase, but with that said, I did not buy the car to be a collector item, I bought it to drive and enjoy! I also like the idea that the CR was the last car designed by Uehara as a retirement gift from Honda, so that is cool. Not to mention the CR is the first time in history that the US got a more hardcore model than any other country.

SO my advice hopefully isnt biased at all, but instead just throws some food for thought out there.

Oh yea forgot to mention, I think RYP CR's are awesome looking
Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 AM

So the lack of a soft top is probably my biggest sticking point. I love being able to just drop the top at a moment's notice, and the ability to close it up when I am out. Nothing stresses me out more than leaving the top down when I'm shopping or out to dinner. Even then I sit close so I can keep an eye on it.

It would be a DD, however my commute is only 2 miles each way, and it will sit in a carport, and garaged at night. So really more of a weekender and a mini-DD. Would rarely be in rush hour freeway driving. We have a Fit for anything more heavy duty (PS it feels like an SUV after driving the S!).

I think I'm really considering it more for the rarity aspect, and the chance that S2Ks start appreciating down the road. With a high overall production run over the years though, only time will tell. I'm primarily looking at the CR as that rare factory configuration that would set it apart from the rest of the run, but given the changes aren't drivetrain related, I wonder how that affects the long-term value.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:07 AM

Hmm. Its funny my old commute was a bit longer, had some turns, backroads etc and was a lot of fun, then I bought the CR and moved into the grid pattern out of the mountains and I honestly feel like having the CR is such a waste of a car for a 6 mile commute. My current commute would be much more fun if I still had my '04 because of the soft top.

Having only 699 CR's produced it certainly is rare. Not to mention a fair amount have been totaled already. There are a couple websites out there that call the CR a future classic/collector car. That is cool I guess, but I did not buy it for that reason.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:10 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Couple things if you want my advice since i had a '04 before buying my CR.

1, ask some guys in TX to go look at the car first. That is actually one of the cheapest CR's posted for sale that I have seen in a long time...

Go drive a CR first. You are welcome to meet up with me this weekend if you want to check out my car and go for a ride/drive it. It is still a S2000 and will feel familiar, but its a very different car, so it feels the same, yet very different.

Can you live without the soft top? I still really really miss the convenience and the S2000 just isnt the same fun car with the top on imo. I do take the hardtop off here and there but its a burden on my women who isnt all that fond of doing it frequently. Plus you have to be sure the weather is clear before leaving the house (not much of a problem in AZ). Also I wouldnt go running errands in the car with the top off unless its quick trips and you can watch the car (im paranoid and un trusting of the general public )

Will it be your daily driver? I did daily mine and I miss not driving it often, but my old Ap2 was more comfortable as a daily, and the soft top was nice.

If you dont plan on modding than a CR is a good option. I had lots of mod plans but I have done very little to the CR because I dont want to ruin it and its actually a pretty awesome car for something that rolled off a dealership floor. I believe 100% that a CR already feels like a modded car suspension wise. The car is much stiffer and handles so much better than a stock S2000, that said, its certainly stiffer, bumpier, and more jarring over bumps than a non CR

People on the forums and in general will bash the CR, so hopefully stuff like that doesnt bother you. I still have my friends in this community tell me how much they hate the color ABP, and the aero add ons are stupid. I could care less because I love the car and its looks. Even though the car gets bashed, its still sought after and prices seem to be holding steady, if not increasing. I bought my CR when S2000 prices were at a low, so I have actually made a considerable amount of money off it. I expect prices to continue to hold steady, or increase, but with that said, I did not buy the car to be a collector item, I bought it to drive and enjoy! I also like the idea that the CR was the last car designed by Uehara as a retirement gift from Honda, so that is cool. Not to mention the CR is the first time in history that the US got a more hardcore model than any other country.

SO my advice hopefully isnt biased at all, but instead just throws some food for thought out there.

Oh yea forgot to mention, I think RYP CR's are awesome looking
Came here to respond but adrs2k pretty much said everything that I would.

Think long and hard about losing the soft top on the go option... I share the same sentiments as what was posted above. The car isn't the same with the top on imo and having to plan ahead and get my wife's help with taking it off can be a pain. Plus you have to make sure you're not going to get rained on. I love my CR and wouldn't give it up for anything... to me that's a small price to pay. But, seriously, think long and hard on giving up the soft top.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks guys.

Soft top convenience and functionality factor is definitely important. Add to that my previous owner swapped in a new cloth top that's in great shape and should last a while.

Adam, thanks for the offer. Weekend's pretty solid though, and I promised a friend he could ride shotgun on an AZ-88 run. Maybe I will try and head up for the next Monday meet, but if this CR opportunity accelerates over the weekend I will be in touch.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Yea some times I regret selling my '04 as that car was pretty awesome, and I do miss the soft top. I do think about selling my CR and getting another S2000 for the soft top and to have a car I dont feel bad about modding and tearing into, but I dont think I ever could give up all that the CR does do/have. In a perfect world I would own a 02-03 AP1 and my CR

Yea let me know, I dont usually go out to week night meets anymore though. I highly suggest driving one before buying though.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must be a weirdo because I hate having the top off. I much prefer to just have the top on and never remove it. Lol I feel to exposed.

Is ryp the only color you're considering?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sse2k
I love being able to just drop the top at a moment's notice, and the ability to close it up when I am out.

thats what she said...

if the car is clean, buy it. CR > AP1&2

they drive the best and look the best, and that color is seconend only to the blue they came in.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:47 AM

Apparently it needs a bunch of body work per the North Texas guys. That would explain the price.

Oh well, no time for a project car for now.

Quick Reply: Thinking about this CR