S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/australia-new-zealand-s2000-owners-30/)
-   -   [BRI] CRUISE: Queen Mary Falls (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/australia-new-zealand-s2000-owners-30/%5Bbri%5D-cruise-queen-mary-falls-930831/)

r00_644 02-20-2012 03:35 AM

[BRI] CRUISE: Queen Mary Falls

Hi all SE QLD S2KI'ers,

EvilS2K581 & I invite you on our next drive, that will take us past Queen Mary Falls south of Boonah. For those thinking Queen-who and Boon-where, think south of Beaudesert down into enemy territory. If you enjoyed the Lions Rd run a few years ago, you won't be disappointed. :-) If you still don't what I'm talking about, dust off the atlas (map!) :-p Or take a look at the route. Anyway, there's some good, quiet driving to be had down there, free of riff raff.

We've even put a teaser together!
[media]http://vimeo.com/37421811[/media]

The drive date has been decided - Sunday 1st April. Thanks for the votes, sorry to those who voted for Anzac Day. Unfortunately there were insufficient votes for Anzac Day so we likely would not have got the required numbers to open the cafe.

Now for the obligatory disclaimers:

1. It's not motorsport, nor is it boys behaving badly, it's a cruise. We have a great record from our previous cruises, let's uphold our behaviour.

2. We're travelling over country roads, don't expect F1 grade asphalt (or anything near it). Some parts are in poor condition - bumpy, very patchy, sunken edges etc. What's more, there are several cattle grids (none too savage), and perhaps a first for us, a few minor creek crossings! WTF I hear, don't worry, it didn't even reach my 16" wheels on reccy, but it will be dependent on preceding weather, so if there's been too much recent rain, we'll need to backtrack.

3. Some of the best parts of the road are damn narrow too! :-( That means you need to drive within the conditions, because there's not much room to move if we encounter some oncoming traffic (and 4wds roam these parts).

4. So if you've got yourself a slammed lowrider or running some fats (I love talking old school!), you need to be conscious that you might get nervous in parts, and or sparks will fly. Resident lowrider EvilS2K581 assessed the track as bearable for you crowd, but drive with caution.

5: It's a biggish drive, probably 300km or so round trip from memory, depending on where you're coming from. Chances are you'll be tired by the time you arrive home. Fill the tank BEFORE we meet, facilities will be VERY LIMITED. Stick some air in the spare tyre while you're at it, because RACQ might take a while.

If you're not put off yet, the good news is there's a great cafe we plan to visit, and it's sure to impress any better halves. It overlooks a beautiful green valley and rolling hills. The food is decent too, price is reasonable (~$20 for healthy snack, ~$30 for mains). They even serve grog! Parking is well offroad, but gravel. It is best we book, so I kindly request reliable numbers so we can get a suitable table altogether in a prime spot.

The schedule is:
  • 8:15am 1st meet point arrival: Acacia Ridge Hotel 1386 Beaudesert Rd Acacia Ridge
  • 8:30am 1st meet point departure (don't be late!)
  • ~9:20am 2nd meet point arrival: Hungry Jacks, 155 Brisbane St Beaudesert
  • 9:45am 2nd meet point departure (don't be late!)
  • Group photos @ Rathdowney
  • Head south, briefly into enemy territory
  • Quickly return to God's territory!
  • Briefly stop at Daggs Falls, stretch the legs
  • 2nd group photo opportunity on close-by mountain bend if we choose
  • ~12:00pm lunch arrival @ Spring Creek Mountain Cafe
  • Continue on after our long lunch, the best part of the drive to come!
  • Finally reach Boonah, Bris vegans can return home via Cunningham Hwy or Beaudesert, Goldilocks will take the latter route
Plan on getting home no earlier than mid arvo.

In the meantime, it's time for a nominations please - below is the roll call that I'll update as you advise your attendance. Be sure to advise of passengers to help with the cafe booking (which is being booked on Thursday 29/03/2012).

Roll call
1) r00_644 + 1
2) EvilS2K581 + 1
3) Jase + 1
4) xoz
5) Gav + 1
6) ninelarge
7) triccytriddy

mattatnoosa 02-20-2012 12:41 PM

Why does every meet have to be gold coast lol!
what I would give to have a meet closer to brisbane...

ncmx5 02-20-2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by mattatnoosa (Post 21432977)

your mugen rims... :p

xoz 02-20-2012 03:07 PM

Most all meets are out of Brisbane, Byron was just a one off btw. :thumbup:
Either meetup is at Milton or Yatala. This meet / drive is being organised by a Brisbanite, just so happens it midwayish between Brisbane and Gold Coast. Roo is infamous for putting together exceptional drives with a lot of thought and research. Also always something different that has been done least before. All drives organised cover many facets, like the route itself, lunch spot, and overall safety that makes for a fun day out with other S 2000 enthusiasts. THIS RUN IS SHAPING UP TO BE MEMORABLE if not EPIC :LOL:

Btw: us guys that stayed on in Byron and did the Lighthouse hike were saying that all drives should be as this was, memorable.

mattatnoosa 02-20-2012 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ncmx5 (Post 21433312)

Originally Posted by mattatnoosa' timestamp='1329774073' post='21432977

your mugen rims... :p

Lol sure with $3k on top? Actually selling them now lol, just havent gotten round to putting up a post on s2ki

r00_644 02-20-2012 10:21 PM

Gee, thx 4 the big vote of confidence xoz! It's a nice drive this one, but the roads are crap in parts, that's what u get off the beaten track. Hopefully it will be memorable :-). Sorry Matt that it's out of the way, ninelarge our usual tour guide has taken us north on some occasions, so I'm sure your patience will be rewarded in future. Perhaps u could help us put one together up there, do some scouting?

Evil filled in the Byron gaps 4 me, it did sound nice.

ninelarge 02-20-2012 10:41 PM

Unfortunately, central Brisbane (read Brisbane City Council) is tiny and built-up, so most cruises (if not all that I can remember) are held throughout greater Brisbane. If you go on a cruise, be prepared to drive for several hours... :)

Looking forward to it r00

ninelarge 02-20-2012 10:44 PM

Btw, I don't mind either date. I have a personal interest for ANZAC day, but it'd also be good to see ncmx5 out with us on a cruise again :thumbup:

r00_644 02-20-2012 10:50 PM

I've got a few old novel brisvegas cruises in the vault, but being a big city with associated traffic woes, they're best done @ night. I'll gauge interest later this year.

ninelarge 02-20-2012 10:57 PM

Sounds interesting. This could be the first year over the past 6 where I won't organise a cruise lol