Australia & New Zealand S2000 Owners Members from the land downunder.

Jbu88 Build Thread - Quest for sub 1'20" at Mallala

Old 11-08-2013, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jbu88 Build Thread - Quest for sub 1'20" at Mallala

This build thread will be split into three initial sections and is a very long read.

If you just want to follow the track build and my slow progress at Mallala please skip the first two posts.

Thanks goes to Mad828, Mcopley and just recently Thebob for inspiration in writing up this build.

Love at first sight -> Ownership
(initially written early 2012 but didn't post as the build S was put on hold when I purchased a R33 GTR)

My S2000 journey started in 2006 whilst in my first year at university.
My love for the little roadster came quite unexpectedly as I hated convertibles and thanks to growing up with Gran Turismo I’d always liked high-power turbo cars.
Think Supra, RX7 and my dream car at the time, the R34 GTR.
My purchase of a ‘kia’ or the ‘mx5’ as many of my friends call her was a surprise to them and is still the butt of many a joke.

I contribute my love of the S to the release of the E60 M5, a car I still yearn to own.
I remember reading a magazine article talking about specific power output of the M5; it included an E46 M3, Ferrari F430 and WHAT!
A Honda S2000...? I had to learn more about this car. Then I found S2ki.

The decision that the S was the next car I would purchase came at the Adelaide motor show.
I was admiring a red AP2 when the Honda promo girl walked up and said ‘why don’t you hop in the driver’s seat?’
Being 6ft 3 I had never thought I could own the car, until I got in that red AP2.

- credit to Sean Smith (snsz76) Photobucket -

I couldn’t believe it, the seating position was perfect, the gearstick and all the interior controls so close to the steering wheel. All I could think was even though how much I hated convertibles and red cars, but it didn’t matter, I loved this car. I got out and said to my dad, ‘I’m buying an S2000 as soon as I’m finished studying’.

I started skipping lectures to stay home and read S2ki. Firstly every little detail I could find on what to look for or beware of when purchasing an S.
Then when I couldn’t find any more info on that, I researched what modifications I would be doing and listed them in what order and what brands/parts I wanted.
To stay focused on my uni work I kept telling myself that once I graduated, I’d spoil myself with the perfect gift.

Fast forward to November 2009. I’d finished my studying, got a good job and had been looking at cars online for a few months but had never taken the step to go test-drive one.
Then a completelt stock 2001 SSM with black interior appeared on carsales.
It was the exact colour combination I’d been searching for, had reasonably low kays (100,000), was an ex Honda dealers personal car but was slightly over-priced.

A quick talk with my parents convinced me to give him a call. All went well; but as expected the car had some signs of 8 years of use.
The usual seat bolster wear, a small ding from some spud opening their door.
A few scratches around the door handle and gearshift and also on the bottom of the exhaust tips.

But I had talked him down $2k! I was getting a bargain!!!
The heart was over powering the head.

Now I had to organise a pre-purchase inspection or someone to go view the car for me. A huge thanks to Elliot (Mad828) for taking the time and effort to test drive the car for me.
Also to AusS2000 for offering the same once he got back from NZ.
The car checked out mechanically and after further negotiation of $500 due to balding rear tyres my father and I started the 1,200km journey to Sydney at 4pm on Saturday.

We drove through the night but I couldn’t get any sleep as I was too excited.
Disaster struck at 3am when I had to turn-off the high beams due to a car ahead and a kangaroo jumped out in front of me.

The screeching front tyres and a loud bang abruptly woke dad from his sleep as I pulled over to assess the damage.
Using our phones for light it looked as if the bull bar took most of the hit so we continued on.
12 hours after we left home we were on the outskirts of Sydney and pulled over for a 2 hour power nap before the meet at 7am.
We went to a cafe for breakfast and I struggled to eat as I was so nervous.

My dream was about to come true but at the same time I was shitting myself. I was about to spend near $30,000 on a car I had never driven.
The only time I’d even seen one in the flesh was that 5 minutes I sat in the red AP2.

Upon leaving the cafe I succumbed to my nerves and proceeded to vomit in the gutter.
We then arrived at the meet and I saw her for the first time, the nausea was replaced with excitement, there she was, my new car.
A quick drive around the block with the owner and the transaction was completed; he even threw in a small SSM on black model.
As I had to be back at work Monday we quickly started the drive home and arrived at 8pm Sunday night.

28hour round trip, 25 hours on the road, 2 hours sleep and thanks to my excitement and a crap load of chewing gum, not once did I feel fatigued.

The love story abruptly ends when a fortnight into my ownership a loud ticking noise was evident after a spirited drive.

My local mechanic thought it sounded like piston slap and after checking the valve clearance was ok, he was not confident looking further into a motor he had little knowledge of.
Every cloud has a silver lining and for me it was meeting a great mechanic, most Adelaide owners will know who I am talking about.
Depending on what I want done I will drive over 2 hours for him to do the work.

He took the head off and confirmed the worst, a scored cylinder with considerable piston slop.
All caused by a spark plug tip breaking off.

Important lesson #1: service your S regularly.

For the record the car did have a full service history just doesn't look like the plugs had ever been replaced.

Five months later a good condition motor with AP2 retainers was found and installed along with a new upgraded clutch.
When I picked her up after not driving for so long it felt just like that very first drive out of Sydney, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Now I’ve had 2 years of worry free daily driving and it’s time to get on with the build thread!

Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 AM

Street Car

While she was off the road for 5 months it gave me the chance to purchase some parts.
Firstly I started with making her a better daily, followed by making her look better.

I purchased a modifry glovebox organiser (every S needs one) and new elastic roof straps.

A lowered BYS seat rail so I didn’t look like shaq driving that Ferrari.

Then some nice new Muz floor mats and had cruise control fitted.

The rear tyres needed replacing so I decided to get some Enkei RPF1 wheels, in the common 17x8+45f 17x9+45r.
I wrapped them in 225f/255r kumho ku36 tyres, which are great in the dry, amazing once warm but rubbish in the wet.
Since 17s in semi aggressive offset look terrible at stock height I also purchased Eibach pro lower springs.

Once I had got her back I installed the springs and got the guards rolled.
I removed the S2000 side badges, replaced the amber side lights with the CR clear type and got the pimple looking headlight washers painted SSM.
I was still unhappy with them so I removed them, got the holes filled in and added an OEM AP1 lip. MUCH better

I was in love with the intake sound with no airbox lid but I couldn't handle the heat soak, so I made the decision to purchase an AEM V2 intake.
God it sounds good.

Next popped up a genuine J’s Racing diffuser from s2ki member aozora.
I always liked this diffuser over the others available and even though it was a long way down my priority list I caved in to the impulse buy.
Cheers to aozora for driving it across Melbourne to my Uncles house as I didn’t want to ship such a nice piece!

I now had to purchase an exhaust as I didn’t want to cut up the diffuser to fit the stock exhaust, only to have to re-cut and re-fit it in the future.
A J’s Racing 70RS dual was the best match for me and was ordered from JDMConcept.com.au.

I absolutely love how the J’s diffuser transforms the rear of the S2000; it makes it look so much lower and wider.
It needs to be seen in person to be truly understood.

When I found the clip for the rod that holds the bonnet up had snapped, it was the perfect excuse to order a pair of SOS hood dampers.
Not only do they look the sex, they raise the bonnet a lot higher, making it much easier to work under the hood.
They are close to my favourite mod currently on the car.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:44 AM

Track car

Ever since MAD828 test drove my car for me I had been following his build thread with much interest and always with the background thought of trying a track day sometime.
In May 2011 I suffered a serious knee injury; the subsequent time off work and the realisation I would need to find a passion other than football to fuel my competitive needs eventually lead me to book a private track day at Mallala.
It was 5 months away and I had no idea if my knee would be healed enough to even drive yet!

This started my next round of modifications.
I decided to upgrade the brake pads to Carbotech AX6 street/track pads front and rear from SOS.
I imported some ATF superblue brake fluid and purchased some spare front brake rotors as Mallala has two heavy braking zones one after the other.
This lead to me doing my first ever brake flush/bleed and pad change (thanks billman).

I also learnt how to bed in new pads.
One of the things I seem to forget to mention when talking about what I love about the S is S2ki.
Before S2ki I was too scared to do any work myself in case I messed it up but thanks to so many DIY threads and knowledgeable forum members I have the confidence to give it a shot.

Big thanks to my mate JBon who gave me his old motorbike helmet for a slab of superdry.

First Trackday
After my very first stint I was hooked, chasing down two VW golfs (GTI and R32) whilst getting passed by some much faster drivers/cars.
A 600hp 993 turbo, R33 GTR and some ex V8 race utes.

During the morning the Porsche blew it's freshly rebuilt motor, the GTI crashed into the wall damaging the front left quarter panel and a C63 merc had its front left brake lock on whilst approaching the fastest sweeper on the track.

None of it dampened my fun though.
I just kept doing lap after lap until my body gave up (fatigue and back pain from trying to stop my body moving around in the stock seat).
Only once did the tyres feel like they got too hot or possibly pressures went too high as I did 10 or so laps each stint.
By 2.30 I was the only one left on the track! The whole racetrack to me and my little S was magic, focusing on being smooth and on the correct lines the instructor had showed me earlier in the day.

Preparing for track day #2
I had planned on improving myself during my second track day so I bought a good track timing app. Trackmaster for android paired with a Qstarz BT GPS unit to improve accuracy.
I also purchased a GoPro HD Hero2 to further analyse my laps.

The rear tyres were shot after the last day so I decided to try Dunlop’s Direzza Z1 StarSpec.
They are very good although I can’t really compare the two tyres as I replaced old with new.
I can say grip in the wet is hugely improved.

I also purchased a locally made FIA AND ADR approved Velo GPT3 seat.
I fabbed up a fixed mount to get it as low as possible.
It’s a fraction too wide and rubs a little on the door trim.
I’ll remove the trim soon so it’s a non-issue but worth considering if you daily your S.

Track day #2
The day went well and I managed a few low 1’26s and two 1’25s, which I was stoked about.
I was quietly hoping to break 1’30.
There is heaps of improvement left in that time as I miss-shifted coming onto the main straight and had slower than ideal apex speeds on a few corners.

I’ve now set a goal for myself to go sub 1’20 while NA.

It’s probably an unrealistic target, but it gives me something to aim for.
I want to try reach it on street tyres before going to semis.

The day didn’t finish so well when I had a little over-steer moment going too deep into t1 and hit the outside rumble strip with the front wheels turned against the slide.
The front left tyre caught the guard and bent it out quite badly.
I did manage to save the slide though and have the gopro footage to prove it
Sorry I forgot to get pics of the damage and got it fixed straight away.

Preparing for track day #3
The next round of mods focuses on reliability and allowing increased track time.

Queue GREX oil cooler kit, Ultimate racing oil filter relocation and Saikou Michi dual oil catch can

Next is a Mishimoto radiator and matching slimline fans and shroud.

I also purchased two SPA dual gauges to monitor water/oil temp and oil pressure, along with a Science of speed A-pillar pod to put them in.

A half cage is also in the works as I don’t trust the roll hoops at my height.
Lastly I purchased some SPC adjustable ball joints to increase front camber; hopefully they don’t slowly work loose and change the alignment unknowingly.
If they do I’ll install some front RCAs with offset ball joint sooner rather than later.

Track Day #3
My timing wasn't working very well as the GPS receiver wouldn't stay in the correct location.
Most timed laps were 26s and 27s so I was a little dissapointed but the front tires were pretty close to the wear indicators so not really indicative if I improved. New rubber before next track day should see to that.

I could also only get 3-4 laps without overheating the coolant to >110*C. The oil temps were fine all day so at least the oil cooler was/is working.

Preparing for Track Day #4
I knew the mishi rads have had issues with their caps so I was hoping it was the cap letting air get sucked into the system once it cooled.
After many coolant bleeds and testing I found the car wouldn't overheat on the first run after a bleed but then after cooling down it would overheat on subsequent drives. So I purchased a Spoon radiator cap and haven't had it overheat yet with some hard street testing. The proof will be at the next track day.

I have a heap of pictures from the track but don't know how to convert the RAW images into .jpg as I can't get the .NEF files to open in photoshop or upload to photobucket. I also have a CD floating around somewhere with some images from the track photographer, I just need to find it.

To come
Install half cage
Install HEL braided SS brake lines
Install DIY brake ducts
Weld front A-arm mounts
weight reduction (interior trim, sound deadening, radio, 70RR titanium)
Coil-overs
Non-staggered wheels with 255 tyres
ECU and tune
Eibach anti roll bars (if needed after getting coil-overs with stiffer front springs)
Hardtop
F+R RCAs
Rear BSK
Front Splitter
Rear wing
Mechanical LSD (with 4.44 gears if I think it will suit the track)
If you’ve gotten to the end congratulations, hopefully this will convince someone to take the plunge and try a track day.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good read. Will be good to watch where this goes from here as you keep chasing your goal. I really think your right, you don't get a full understanding of just how good/fun these cars are until you take them to a track.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Good read. I live in Adelaide too... can I ask who the mechanic is with good reputation?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:30 PM

Car looks great mate.
I can't wait to see it at the track
Old 11-11-2013, 12:37 AM

clio - check PM.

The roll bar install over the weekend didn't go exactly to plan as my low profile jack died while I was trying to get the car off the stands. Sorry for the shitty cell phone pics

So I could use a normal jack, using a chainsaw I made some ghetto DIY ramps from an old railway sleeper

Here's the rear interior removed, I think I'll keep the bulkhead bar in until I remove the stock belts and change to a harness.

This is the bar I was hoping to get installed, the middle bars are obviously not in shot. Its been sitting for a while and all the bolts were very tight so we cleaned them up with tap and die.

I took a quick snap to show how the AEM V2 CAI fits with a mishimoto radiator, theres no way it would fit with the stock fans so I purchased the mishi slim shroud at the same time

Here you can see the seat mount we made. I am by no means an engineer so I hope it is strong enough. The metal is quite a bit thicker than the aluminium side mounts that came with the seat so I'm assuming it will be.

Lastly I'll leave you with some preview shots of the new non-stag wheels. With a little more camber they 'should' fit my non flared guards.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:17 AM

really want that j's diffuser! looking great mate
Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 AM

The diffuser will be for sale with a few other parts soon
Old 01-06-2014, 02:15 AM

Have this week off work so a good chance to get the S ready for the coming track season

Coil-overs are in

Just need to get the hole saw and cut some big holes in the boot to mount the remote reservoirs. Also need to zip-tie the lines to the suspension arms. Hopefully I can find some big rubber grommets to make it a little less likely for water to enter the boot. What does everyone else do with the huge holes left when mounting them in the boot?

Where I'll most likely mount the front reservoirs. Contemplating how I'm going to mount them. Probably end up zip-tieing them with a peice of rubber to seperate the metal on metal contact... Not too bothered with how it will look.

The reservoir attachment on the LHS front shock is very close ~5mm to the ARB end link. Where it is ~15mm clearance on the drivers side. Any ideas if it will hit once torque is applied to the ARB when driving? I jacked up each arm separately and it didn't change the relative positions to the eye

Passenger side

Drivers side

I also unfortunately found out the standard S2000 honda oil filter 15400 PCX-004 does not fit with the GREX oil cooler sandwich plate. The diammeter is too large and it fouls on the attachments

- After I bought 3 of them

Any ideas what filter this is so I can see if its suitable for the S and can buy some more?

Lastly I'm still stressing about drilling for the roll bar install so I won't tackle it 'til last.

Tomorrow I shall install the SS brake lines and maybe start the brake ducting

Quick Reply: Jbu88 Build Thread - Quest for sub 1'20" at Mallala