Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

A1 GP- we will now get TV coverage

Old 11-01-2006, 04:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A1 GP- we will now get TV coverage

Seems like I need to do a little reading, I know squat about A1...
All I do know, watching some kind of race starting in December is sure going to help bridge the F1 off season gap.

USA to get TV coverage of A1 GP, and, possibly, a street race
01/11/2006

Team USA owner Rick Weidinger has confirmed that Speed TV will broadcast the series from December, thereby ending the frustration of race fans unable to watch the series, in which their country is currently seventh, following a second place in the opening round at Zandvoort.

"The A1GP races will be broadcast on the Speed Channel this year," said Weidinger. "The people at Speed are great to work with and obviously have a tremendous understanding of motor sports and how to promote it on television. It's a major improvement from last year. People turn to Speed to watch worldwide racing. They can find us there. A1GP produces the telecast and they do a first-class job. It's a competitive, thrilling and enjoyable broadcast. There are at least 28 cameras around the track with multiple in-car cameras as well.

"Broadcasting will begin on December 6," he revealed. "The first telecast will be the Zandvoort race where Team USA finished second to Germany in the feature race. The broadcast will be weekly at 4 p.m. every Wednesday. By January, Speed Channel will be current with the A1GP race schedule. For example, they will broadcast the New Zealand race of Jan. 21 on Wednesday, Jan. 24. The invitations for my "Speed Channel" party on Dec. 6, 2006 will be going out soon!"

Weidinger also revealed that there are plans for a race in Washington next September.

"We are working hard for the approval of a street race," he said. "We have a lot of heavy lifting to do; but it will be well worth the effort. This will be a world-class event in the nation's capital. The possible street courses we have looked at are amazing and I believe the demand for a nations versus nations motorsport event will be high."

www.pitpass.com
In a nut shell, they are going to show the entire season. The Zandvoort race was #1 of 12 and was run back on October 1, and race #12 of 12 is scheduled for April 29, 2007.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:10 AM

A1 Grand Prix is the first opportunity in any area of motorsport for nations to compete on a level playing field. It is a series where technology and innovation are deliberately equalised and performance is determined by human bravery, skill and excellence. Team and driver combine to create their advantage and the winning nation raises its flag in celebration.

A1 Grand Prix is more than just another motorsport phenomenon; it's an entirely new sport - The World Cup of Motorsport. Pitting driver against driver and country against country for the first time in history, A1 Grand Prix will bring together 25 nations representing 80 per cent of the world's population to actively compete on a level playing field.

A1 Grand Prix has created a new medium for national and international brands and organisations to promote themselves on a global scale. Through the World Cup of Motorsport, they can join forces with their national teams to be part of this unique sporting event.

The World Cup of Motorsport promotes countries and utilises the national patriotism instilled in every person on the planet not only attracting traditional motorsport and sporting fans but exciting anyone who is passionate about their heritage, country and population.

WHAT IS AN A1 GRAND PRIX EVENT?

A fast, exciting, adrenaline fuelled weekend full of entertainment in a glamorous and exclusive environment, affordable and accessible to all the family.

With three days of on-track action, an A1 Grand Prix event offers a rare opportunity for fans to interact with teams and drivers. Exclusively inclusive, The World Cup of Motorsport brings the thrill of international motorsport to billions of fans across the globe.

Taking in a mix of established world-famous venues, exciting new state-of-the-art facilities and tight twisty street circuits, A1 Grand Prix promises to deliver high-speed action at every turn.

An A1 Grand Prix event is a fast, exciting, adrenaline fuelled weekend in a glamorous and exclusive environment, affordable and accessible to all.

www.a1gp.com
Old 11-01-2006, 04:23 AM

Wow, what a bunch of great looking tracks, not a circle anywhere.

Nice to see some of the F1 tracks showing up too.

And the cars look rather cool, I'm loving the air intake...

So now I'm just waiting for somebody to post that this series sucks.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:39 AM

Team USA

Team Canada
Old 11-01-2006, 07:34 AM

Sounds like an open-wheel road-course IROC. I'm all over it. Go SPEED channel!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see they are finally picking up on this. From what I've read there has been some very exciting/entertaining racing.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Nov 1 2006, 08:07 AM
All I do know, watching some kind of race starting in December is sure going to help bridge the F1 off season gap.
- I think I will check this out...
Old 11-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Former Moderator

The A1GP series is good, a level playing field with overtaking too!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:44 AM

Outstanding RickUK, thanks.

I have never heard of A1GP so it is nice to hear some ok to good feedback!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by MPD47,Nov 1 2006, 12:06 PM
Glad to see they are finally picking up on this. From what I've read there has been some very exciting/entertaining racing.
So true, so true!

Speed should just be called the NASCAR Channel...it's nice to see they are going to do something that will broaden their coverage. But then again, they are probabley onlyu doing this because NASCAR will be down for the winter too...

I remember the days of The Speed Channel, everything from British Touring Car to those huge monster tractor trailer races, oh those were the days.

Quick Reply: A1 GP- we will now get TV coverage