Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

NASCAR specs

Old 02-19-2007, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASCAR specs

Im not a big NASCAR fan but after watching the Daytona 500 i was kind of wondering what kind of specs these cars produce. I know its nothing close to the sophistication of F1 race cars but it would be interesting to know the displacement, hp, etc.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:59 AM

Google is your friend:

Engine Displacement: 358in
Old 02-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned

I think they rev rather high for the motor.. like 8K??

what really kinda funny on a comparo
F1 by FIA rules must use to 99% Super unleaded PUMP fuel.
There was a tech think a few years ago from the Shell/Ferrari people saying, the only difference really is no deterginents for fuel system cleaning, and more less oxygen based on race enviornment for a specific race.
what does this mean?? They asked what would happen if you put F1 fuel in a street car, the answer nothing, no gain, would work just like normal Super unleaded.
what if you put straight pump fuel in a F1 car.. (at time 3.0L v10) the answer??
The car would run perfect but be down about 25 HP!!!!

Now could you imagine if they used RACE fuel??? Im betting 100 more hp. I know this has nothing to really do with the NASCAR question, but its a tecno comparison. As read above they must now use 98 Octancne unleaded, which is about 4-5 higher than the F1 fuels... If nascar had to run 93 octane, I wonder how much that would hinder the performance??

On a side note.. i watched the 1st 1 lap of NASCAR race yesterday.. (F1 faithful dont lose faith in me yet) then realized, "OK i saw enough NASCAR for 07" then turned to TNT to watch A jet li Movie!!!
I must admit, I still wont watch NASCAR, but I would LOVE if and to do my best quote of MS saying his name.. HU wannnn would win the title... even though JPM has previos circle experience in Open wheel, It would be great if a F1 driver won the Winston.. oops, smoking ban... Winston Cup series
Finally, Did you all read the MS quote he just made in response to Everham??? Ok im full of shit, but to those who both love and hate me..he goes " OBVIOUSLY Even though i had 16 years at the absolute top of motorized racing, it is very to be hoinest Obvious that I the big chinned Red Baron would still never be able to take full advantage of the sheer super natural Technology of NASCAR.

:OLO:
Old 02-19-2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Marco,Feb 19 2007, 01:56 PM
I think they rev rather high for the motor.. like 8K??
over 9k at some tracks, but at super speedways, such as Daytona, they run at about 7500-8000 all day
Old 02-19-2007, 02:37 PM

Thanks but I still have one question
What is the restrictior plate?
Is it like a speed limiter or something?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Norby,Feb 19 2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks but I still have one question
What is the restrictior plate?
Is it like a speed limiter or something?
It restricts the airflow into the engine, thus reducing available power. They use it for the fastest tracks in order to keep the speeds down, but it has the unfortunate side effect of emphasizing drafting. This means the cars all run in a pack, and when somebody crashes it takes out a lot of other cars.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Feb 19 2007, 06:53 PM
It restricts the airflow into the engine,
Mike, thanks you taught me something. i thought the rerstrictor plate was used on the super speedways to slow the cars, but in an AERO way, not power way. So then there is no aero differentations in NASCAR??
Old 02-20-2007, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marco,Feb 19 2007, 04:56 PM
On a side note.. i watched the 1st 1 lap of NASCAR race yesterday.. (F1 faithful dont lose faith in me yet)

I must admit, I still wont watch NASCAR, but I would LOVE if and to do my best quote of MS saying his name.. HU wannnn would win the title... even though JPM has previos circle experience in Open wheel, It would be great if a F1 driver won the Winston.. oops, smoking ban... Winston Cup series
I too saw a few laps, the TV was on while I was working on my bathroom cabinets. I figured as soon as I hear there was a crash I could go to the living room and watch the replay; the crashes after all are about the only thing I find interesting...
Old 02-20-2007, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Feb 19 2007, 06:53 PM
This means the cars all run in a pack, and when somebody crashes it takes out a lot of other cars.
And from what I have seen, someone can crash just by having someone else screw up the airflow around their car. So the restrictor plates makes tight packs and tight packs makes big multi-car crashes; thus to me they should just call it CRASHCAR because it seems they endorse the big wrecks. Interesting sport, I can see why it has such a huge following, sort of like why hockey fans love the fights.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:21 AM

The engine technology is actually very advanced. They aren't using much for fancy electronics (carbs still), but the materials used are on par with top-tier race series. I've heard of a few former F1 engine guys coming to NASCAR and finding the work to be very similar, of course with it's own spin on things.

If NASCAR wasn't restricting the engines and RPMs, they'd regularly be turning well over 10k.

Quick Reply: NASCAR specs