Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Road America

Old 08-20-2006, 06:01 AM

Received 5,091 Likes on 3,069 Posts
Default Road America

Road America

Considered by many to be the finest road course in North America - and one of the finest in the world, according to Mario Andretti - Elkhart Lake's Road America is America's National Park of Speed. Boasting a 4.048-mile, 14-turn road course whose configuration has remained unaltered and unmolested since it opened in 1955, Road America has it all - with blindingly fast straightaways (cars reach top speed on three different points on the circuit), flowing corners, dramatic elevation changes and one of the most daunting turns in all of road racing, the infamous (and flat-out) "Kink." It is a true classic in every sense of the word and the fastest road course in the U.S.

This weekend, the American Le Mans Series returns to Elkhart Lake for the Generac 500. Here is what some of the competitors had to say about it (thanks to the AE & ALMS for providing these quotes):

James Weaver, Dyson Racing - "When you go to Road America, you get the sense that the founders of the track had a great idea and executed it well. The fact that it holds up so well through Wisconsin winters shows how well engineered it is. It follows the contours of the land - you are going somewhere as opposed to driving around in circles. It is well thought out and, like all classic tracks, has elevation change and a variety of corners. It puts heavy demands on braking and is a track of contradictions in that you need a lot of downforce for the corners and as little as possible for the straights. So it is a challenge to set up the car. It does have that European flavor - especially driving through the trees going toward Canada Corner. Some compare it with Spa. But at Spa you have French fries and mayonnaise and at Road America you have Bratwurst and corn on the cob! So, like all great tracks, it has its own unique flavor."

Jorg Bergmeister, Petersen Motorsports/White Lightning Racing - "Road America is my favorite track on which the American Le Mans Series races. For me, I think it is more like the Nordschleife (the "North Loop" or full 15.14-mile, 84-turn traditional N
Old 08-21-2006, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlq04,Aug 20 2006, 09:01 AM
Road America
Considered by many to be the finest road course in North America...
One of the major reasons I bought a Titan and decided to become a trailer guy; I have wanted to do Elkhart Lake for a very long time!

ALMS was a great race, but then again pickup trucks could race there and I might say the same thing.

I'm really looking forward to Acura being in next year.

I have to admit I'm not following ALMS in detail this year, but I have to say, the guy driving the Panoz who drove right intot he side of the black Ferrari F430 was completely at fault. The Ferrari had the corner, the Panoz just drove right intot he side of the Ferrari and I'm glad the crash took out the Panoz and not the Ferrari. Then, to make it even worse, the driver of the Panoz trashes the Ferrari driver during his interview. But what was so funny is as soon as the interview was over the announcers completely disagreed with him, siding with the Ferrari driver who did nothing wrong.

Damn those yellow Vette's are fast, and look good!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of these days, i am going to lap and or race at Road America. From watching it on tv, it looks like an awesome track, very much like mosport...
Old 08-21-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Aug 21 2006, 09:27 AM
One of the major reasons I bought a Titan and decided to become a trailer guy; I have wanted to do Elkhart Lake for a very long time!

ALMS was a great race, but then again pickup trucks could race there and I might say the same thing.

I'm really looking forward to Acura being in next year.

I have to admit I'm not following ALMS in detail this year, but I have to say, the guy driving the Panoz who drove right intot he side of the black Ferrari F430 was completely at fault. The Ferrari had the corner, the Panoz just drove right intot he side of the Ferrari and I'm glad the crash took out the Panoz and not the Ferrari. Then, to make it even worse, the driver of the Panoz trashes the Ferrari driver during his interview. But what was so funny is as soon as the interview was over the announcers completely disagreed with him, siding with the Ferrari driver who did nothing wrong.

Damn those yellow Vette's are fast, and look good!
The Panoz driver looked like he was 15! Did he even have a drivers liscense?

I'm always a fan of the race prepped Astons. They sure look good, sound good, and haul ass!!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm out here in Sheboygan right now. Had the 4-day pass for the race. Wow! What a great track! I've been following ALMS for the last couple of years but this is the first race I attended. The sounds were just amazing. The high pitched scream of the Porsche Spyders and the rumble of the Corvettes. But what was so cool was the sound of the R10s. They were so quiet! TV just doesn't capture the sounds.

I'll post some pics when I get back to Los Angeles.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 5,091 Likes on 3,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabs 79,Aug 21 2006, 09:31 AM
One of these days, i am going to lap and or race at Road America. From watching it on tv, it looks like an awesome track, very much like mosport...
I've driven both and loved 'em both - Mosport was legal and RA....... well, that a bench racing story - I'll just say my Nissan Maxima has a dash plaque from 1993. I must say RA has the BEST track food in the world. A brat, a beer, and a good seat at Canada Corner. It does not get any better unless you are out there driving!

That was a good race. Lots of stuff happening. I always love the cars that I can identify with as street cars - ie, Astons, Vets, etc. - even though they certainly are a tad more.