Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Adrs2k's Timeline - 2008 Apex Blue Pearl Club Racer +

Old 06-26-2018, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adrs2k
The S2k to me is such a fascinating and marvelous car. There are a lot of other cars out there that when you throw mods at the car it’s instantly faster and the average Joe suddenly becomes a better and faster driver. With the S2k it doesn’t matter. Parts on the street make the car negligibly faster. It is all about the driver and how skilled you are and how willing to push the car you are. I think on the street the vast majority of parts just change the feel and more importantly give the driver more confidence. That confidence is then used to improve your driving and make you as a driver faster. The mods I’ve added to my car just enhance what is already there and for me make the car more comfortable to push. I think the only mod I could really use is a lightened flywheel. Flashpro has ruined me in some ways and I carry a higher gear far more often then I should since I have lowered vtec. I think the lowered vtec with a lightened flywheel will really make the car a blast. There were times where if the car would just rev a tad quicker it would be a bullet out of some corners. I am adding a flywheel and clutch to my short list of mods in the next year.
Awesome pictures as usual and great trip.

100% agree on the lowered VTEC. I don't know that it makes the car that much faster, but the midrange is massively improved and makes the driveability so much better. I have the AP1 flywheel on a stock clutch with a 4,000 RPM engagement point, and the car has plenty of get up and go now throughout the entire powerband. I bumped the rev limiter to 8600, so having 4500 RPMs to work with on the second cams with has been a wonderful highlight to an already excellent car. No more waiting for VTEC and no more "crap I'm out of VTEC, let me downshift" issues.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:04 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Monthly photo dump

Old 08-13-2018, 03:44 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 08-13-2018, 12:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 08-30-2018, 11:20 AM

Old 09-27-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Car looks great as always, any update on the VR-1's?
Old 09-27-2018, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jpmelfi
Car looks great as always, any update on the VR-1's?
Thank you! After over a thousand street miles I am very pleased with the tires. In short as other reviews have said they are a combination of a AD08R and RS3. I think they take some of the best qualities of both tires. They are also cheap! I would recommend them to everyone at this point. The only negative thing I have to say is they required a lot more wheel weights to get them balanced on the wheel. The AD08R required very minimal wheel weights. So perhaps the cheaper cost of the VR1 comes from higher manufacturing tolerances.

Some additional thoughts:
  • They have great initial turn in response and are sharp like an Advan AD08R. No flex of the sidewall on turn in.
  • Mid corner under load there is more tire flex/movement compared to a AD08R and feel more like a slightly stiffer RS3. It took a little adjusting too because the AD08R have zero deflection so the Maxxis def feels different mid corner. Not bad, just different.
  • Over bumps and expansion joints the tires are more forgiving and offer a softer ride compared to a AD08R which is nice. They feel like a RS3.
  • I've pushed the car a bit on the street but I haven't been able to get to the outer edge of the tires at -2.8 degrees of camber. Probably still running too much camber for the street, but hopefully I can find my way to a track or autocross.
  • I have not driven in the rain yet, so no review there. AD08R were awesome rain tires, RS3 are just okay. Hopefully the VR1 lands in the middle again or close to the AD08R
Old 10-15-2018, 10:54 AM

I have not finished the install or gone for a test drive yet, but wanted to share my most recent update. I've always wanted a BBK for this car for performance and looks. In AZ I regularly faded Xp10/Xp8 on track and cracked some front rotors (the main track I ran was like an oversized go kart track that gave very little time for cooling the brakes) BBK's are expensive, but so is track time, finding the time to get on track, and finding time in life to wrench on the car. My plan for this car has always been a good street car that is track capable. With the overheating brakes and cracking of rotors I felt like it was worth upgrading to a BBK so I can enjoy the car without ever having to worry or carry around spare parts for a brake job at the track (even though this car is super easy to work on). Not to mention the S2K visually just begs for a BBK up front!

I made the choice long ago to go with high offset wheels and I am still sticking with that decision which was always going to make finding a BBK very hard to do. I always felt that there needed to be a S2K optimized BBK on the market. The majority of the kits use off the shelf components and never seemed designed in a way that took everything variable into consideration; wheel fitment, cost, replacement part costs, thermal management, pad thickness, and etc. Most kits focus on the performance side which makes the most sense, but it always seemed off to me that no one put the effort into making a more friendly fitting BBK that still offered all of the best performance. Sites advertise, this is a serious BBK, so wheel fitment shouldn't matter because track car. Yeah, I don't agree. I wanted it all which is why it took me so long to buy a BBK.

Enter the new kit from V8 Roadsters. This kit has been in the making for years, but from early on in the design phase the goals as I understood it were to be the best all around kit on the market. That included wheel fitment which was my biggest concern. I'll provide more updates in a bigger write up, but what sold me on this kit were the following details:
  • Bespoke STR43 Stoptech Trophy Caliper that was made just for this kit
  • Clears my wheel with no spacer; although I will be running a 2mm spacer to be safe. I currently have a business card gap at the tightest point. Off the shelf Stoptech (ST40 and Trophy kits) require I believe I heard 2-4mm just to clear. AP racing will never fit.
  • 328x28 directional vaned rotors
  • 20mm pad
  • Utilizes Stoptech hardware throughout including rotor ring hardware, caliper studs/nuts
  • The option to have a black rotor hat - I did not want gold, or a silver because it would clash with my wheel color, yes that matters to me
  • Here is the pad information: WMP830-W2
    Winmax W2 - AP Racing CP8350 / StopTech STR-43 (C43) / Wilwood Superlite 4-Piston - D41 Radial Depth
For those interested, here is the link to the kit online. https://v8roadsters.com/product/v8r-...43-trophy-kit/

On to a couple test fit photos. More photos of the individual pieces, install, and a full review will come soon. These pics are without a wheel spacer. I can't thank fellow S2K enthusiast Ricky (Wrecky) enough for pushing on V8R for years to bring this kit to market. He made a lot of the design decisions, helped fund the prototype kit, and did all the original track testing! Thanks so much man for helping bring this kit to market and for getting me a kit!

Old 10-15-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like I know what I'm adding to my list
Old 10-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

It's surreal seeing these photos, man. You know how much of a pain in the ass it's been to get this kit right. I'm so happy that we could take your feedback and adjust the kit to suit your needs. Needless to say, it looks like it belonged on your car the whole time. Can't wait to hear what you think on the road man!

Quick Reply: Adrs2k's Timeline - 2008 Apex Blue Pearl Club Racer +