Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

blueprint's *Grand Prix White* AP1 Build

Old 09-16-2016, 09:43 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by S2-KAM
Nice S and Nice GT4. Waiting to hear your impression on the K24.
Thanks! Car should be up and running. The AC is the part that will take some time since we are re-routing the entire plumbing but as soon as we have her tuned i'll post my impressions.

Originally Posted by iloveboost
What kind of power are you expecting or hoping for out of the K?
I'll be happy with 260ish on pump gas.

Originally Posted by arsenal
Can you go to 9K safely on the K series with mild valve train changes?
On a K24 no, it would not be safe to run to a 9k redline. I'll be capping mine to 8k.... I know many K20's that do it all day but there is no power to be made above 8400.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:00 AM

New Ballade Motor is up and running. Very similar setup to my own car.

Untitled by blueprint012, on Flickr

Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 AM

Can't wait to finally drive her.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:51 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1473834724' post='24061653
It boggles my mind that people think the K series is a better engine than the F20/F22C. I just. don't. get it.
Mod for mod the K series just offers so much more potential in NA form. Additionally the K series has i-VTEC which allows a variable intake/exhaust valve overlap.

This configurability allows the engine to respond to modification much better. To greatly simplify it, it allows the engine to make both high top end power and low end torque by varying the amount of valve overlap based on RPM & Load.

We'll see how she compares to my old setup on the same dyno.
Don't get me wrong the K20 is a fantastic engine. It just isn't better than the F20/F22C. The F20/F22 has crazy FRM cylinders and many other small things throughout the valvetrain and block that make it unique out of the box and just generally a better engineered engine. The K20 is generally cheaper and easier to develop and make a good amount of power for a good price, on front wheel drive cars that they are suited for. Swapping out a great engine for a good less expensive, less exotic one that has potential to be great just doesn't make sense to me. And to really make it great one needs to use the exotic expensive bits that were used on the JDM K20A's. Especially when considering all the teething issues that one will face doing a swap like this. A well developed F24 would do just as well if not better than a K24, it will probably just be more expensive, but for the cost you will probably also get improved reliability when used in the S2000 platform. It just comes down to most people not wanting to spend the money it takes to actually make well made and reliable F24 or beyond, many try to do it on the cheap and end up with expected results.

Interested to see the results though either way.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by blueprint' timestamp='1473882939' post='24062092
[quote name='andrewhake' timestamp='1473834724' post='24061653']
It boggles my mind that people think the K series is a better engine than the F20/F22C. I just. don't. get it.
Mod for mod the K series just offers so much more potential in NA form. Additionally the K series has i-VTEC which allows a variable intake/exhaust valve overlap.

This configurability allows the engine to respond to modification much better. To greatly simplify it, it allows the engine to make both high top end power and low end torque by varying the amount of valve overlap based on RPM & Load.

We'll see how she compares to my old setup on the same dyno.
Don't get me wrong the K20 is a fantastic engine. It just isn't better than the F20/F22C. The F20/F22 has crazy FRM cylinders and many other small things throughout the valvetrain and block that make it unique out of the box and just generally a better engineered engine. The K20 is generally cheaper and easier to develop and make a good amount of power for a good price, on front wheel drive cars that they are suited for. Swapping out a great engine for a good less expensive, less exotic one that has potential to be great just doesn't make sense to me. And to really make it great one needs to use the exotic expensive bits that were used on the JDM K20A's. Especially when considering all the teething issues that one will face doing a swap like this. A well developed F24 would do just as well if not better than a K24, it will probably just be more expensive, but for the cost you will probably also get improved reliability when used in the S2000 platform. It just comes down to most people not wanting to spend the money it takes to actually make well made and reliable F24 or beyond, many try to do it on the cheap and end up with expected results.

Interested to see the results though either way.
[/quote]

Your certainly entitled to your opinion and im not going to change your mind on this topic.

IMO... the K series is a better engine than the F series. The K evolved from the F and has evolved throughout the years.

Plenty of K series out there putting down some incredible power and the sky is the limit in terms of potential. Im curious to see how she does vs. my old setup.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:19 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Let's just be happy that there's options. Both sides of the arguement have their points. As the S2000 ages and people need to rebuild or replace motors it's good to have the option of a K series. In a couple more years I'm sure both an F24 and K20/24 will be developed well enough where swaps and builds will be more common and reliable.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
Let's just be happy that there's options. Both sides of the arguement have their points. As the S2000 ages and people need to rebuild or replace motors it's good to have the option of a K series. In a couple more years I'm sure both an F24 and K20/24 will be developed well enough where swaps and builds will be more common and reliable.
I couldnt agree more! Well said.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:48 AM

Quite a bit of progress done... made a few changes. Can't wait to finally get her running.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to change your brake fluid... No?
Old 12-31-2016, 11:04 AM

I totally forgot about this build thread... Big update.

First and foremost i'd like to thank Alex, Matt, Aaron and crew over at Ballade Sports for making this happen for me.

Back in March of this year I spoke with Alex and decided on doing a K24a2 swap for my AP1. The Potential, Availability and Cost of the K series really appealed to me and made the decision easy. After mapping out what this swap entails we put everything to paper and went to business.

Breakdown:

Engine:
K24a2 2006 TSX Block
RS Machines Pistons 11.1:1 Compression
Stock K24a2 Rods
Stock K24a2 Crank
Acura RDX 440cc Injectors
50 Degree VTC
F Series Intake Manifold
F Series Throttle Body
Ballade Sports K Series Header
Ballade Sports Anodized Valve Cover
Ballade Sports Intake Arm
Ballade Sports Adapter Plate
Innovative Motor Mounts
Stock S2000 Airbox
K&N Drop In Filter
K20 Oil Pump
K20 OIl Pan

K20a2 RSX Type S Head
Built and Ported by Port Flow
Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams
Supertech Valves
Supertech Valve Springs
Supertech Retainers
Clockwise Motion Oil Pan Baffle
Tractuff Oil Pump Plate

Berk Test Pipe
HKS Hi Power Exhaust

Rywire Wiring Harness
Hondata K-Pro

Tuned by: Import Auto Pro's

Dyno Graphs:
2008 Honda S2000 AP2
Stock F22C
Ballade Sports Header
Ballade Sports TCT
Ballade Sports Correction Gear
K&N Drop In Filter
Berk Test Pipe
Invidia Exhaust

HP: 212.04
TQ: 143.72

My K24 Swapped AP1. Mods listed above.

HP: 252.24
TQ: 174.34

Pictures:

IMG_2624 by blueprint012, on Flickr

IMG_2672 by blueprint012, on Flickr

IMG_2675 by blueprint012, on Flickr

IMG_2678 by blueprint012, on Flickr

IMG_2685 by blueprint012, on Flickr

Video:

Overall the entire build exceeded my expectations. I wanted to keep the build as simple as possible and in the end I believe we accomplished that. As far as where we go from here that's still up in the air.

Special Thanks to:
Ballade Sports
Portflow
Rywire
MrSidewayz aka Ian Stewart

Quick Reply: blueprint's *Grand Prix White* AP1 Build