Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Crono's F20 AE86

Old 07-18-2014, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crono's F20 AE86

Hi all,
thought I'd post my build up

Last year, I wanted to swap the engine of my other car, but needed a car to drive around meanwhile. I was incredibly close to buying an EK hatch as my daily when the seller flaked (lucky for me, in retrospect). I decided I wanted a car that I would have fun in, and have always been a fan of the AE86 (with Initial D and whatnot). I searched everywhere, and eventually came into possession of a 1985 Toyota Corolla SR5. I bought it to be a daily driver while my other car was getting its engine swap. The car is a lot of fun! ... slow, but it is a driver's car through and through. Made you want to milk every bit of speed you could out of it when driving around, just to keep up with modern day cars.

Unfortunately for me, I blew the 4AC before I could even get the other car to the shop, so I decided to swap this one first. I've sat in a blacktop AE111 AE86 and decided that I had to have more power, so I went silly and bought this:

F20C from a 2002 S2K. It would give me the same characteristics as a 4AG (high rev, torquey), but would give me more power than any 4AG could ever put out. Not to mention it's cleaner and more gas efficient!

And so the build began. All work was done by a shop in Santa Ana called Suspicious Garage. I highly recommend them.

These are custom fabricated mounts by JSP specifically for the motor and tranny from an S2k.

Got a rear axle from a Mk2 Supra to handle the new power.

I then decided to get other goodies. Carbon fiber hood, among other JDM goodies.

I needed an S2k gauge cluster.

Some custom wiring work.

Gauge cluster installed. (you can see my 986 in the foreground)

And here is how she sits now.

As a fan of Initial D, much to the chagrin of other AE86 owners, the paint scheme will eventually be panda. However, mine will be a little different. It will feature a bit more aero than the Initial D vehicle. Most of the car will also be carbon fiber when I'm done, and will be a mix of white and carbon fiber instead of white and black. I also used a Kouki front bumper instead of a Zenki, but I'll be using a Zenki paint scheme.

The car will be at JCCS this year on September 27th. It is an ongoing project I hope to finish by this time next year. I'll post updates as they come.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:55 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Very cool! I've always wanted to do this. As far as the rear suspension is concerned, is there a more modern solution available than a mk2 supra rear end?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:28 PM

Did you notice any change in handling since the JSP kit spaces the subframe lower for clearance? I was always curious if it would handle relatively the same since the roll centers would be off.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:51 PM

The Mk2 supra rear end is the most efficient and cost effective. Some people have been using Ford's 9 inch. A more expensive route would be to use the IRS from something like an S13. But the supra rear end works for me.

If there has been any changes in balance, I haven't noticed. The current suspension is much too soft anyways, and I need to upgrade it. It is still tons of fun, just more power.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Keep up the good work....
Old 07-23-2014, 06:24 PM

Awesome project!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always loved these swaps! Awesome stuff!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:09 PM

Some small updates.

Got myself some CIBIE fog lamps. Because Initial D.

I have my JDM bumper lights to have the inner and outer lights come on with driving lights, and the middle one as a signal.

However, during installation, I must've accidentally shorted something, because now my passenger side blinker behaves all strangely. I've tried to find it for the past two hours but I give up.

I'll come back at it tomorrow. More updates to follow.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 PM

Absolutely in love with this car and build! Before i was interested in cars or driving in general i was an initial D fan, and now to see someone combine 2 things i love its amazing! How much do you want to let me drive it around the block when you're done???
Old 07-30-2014, 02:37 PM

Replaced lights with LEDs. Cleaned up wiring.

Zenki front lip

Got this custom RE Amemiya diffuser made in Carbon Fiber.
Lots of carbon goodies on the way.

Quick Reply: Crono's F20 AE86