Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Hdoan112's epic voltex and turbo college student build thread!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hdoan112's epic voltex and turbo college student build thread!

ok, so im really bored and don't feel like doing my homework, so i decided to make a build thread.

let me start by introducing myself and my car. I'm currently 20 years old going to college full time and working part time, my brother got an s2k when I was 12 or 13 and I instantly fell in love. I knew from that point that I would have one one day. I finish High School and I start college, saving up money as much money as possible for my dream car, then April of last year I finally got my hands on one after months of searching for the right one.

I am missing a lot of pics because my phone took a poo on me at one point so there are a lot of mods missing, if you want to see them in perfect order and basically every little mod i did you can check out my instagram @hdoan112

Update: I'm now 24 going onto 25 next month, I've been building this car for 5 years now. The s2000 was always a dream car for me, and when I was 19, I was finally able to buy one after saving for 2 years. I have been going to college full time for 7 years (I changed my major a million times those first 3 years, but I'm graduating next month), and I've been working part time this whole time. I have put my entire heart and soul into this car, buying parts paycheck to paycheck, with little regard for much else. Luckily I live with my parents so I don't have to worry about rent, or too many bills. The car has come a long way since I first got it, I honestly would have never thought the build would get as ridiculous as it did. A lot of people think I'm lying when I say I built this car by myself on a college budget, but I can assure you, there were a few nights where I couldn't eat because I spent so much money on my car, lol. 90% of my parts are used, I'm always searching for good deals, and I've met a lot of people throughout the years and through that I have gotten some good discounts as well. With this thread, I am hoping I can show you my journey, it won't be too detailed with the stuff in my recent update since there were SO many changes, and I was backtracking through years of photos on instagram trying to recall what was happening. I also probably won't be updating this thread much, if you want to follow the build, follow me on instagram @SL_Henry

By the time you get to the end of the thread, my mod list will be as follows:

2005 Honda S2000 mod list

Exterior:
Full paint respray: slightly darker shade of Rio yellow pearl
Voltex carbon street front bumper with molded fender extensions
Voltex Type III 1600mm GT wing
J’s racing front fenders
Circuit Garage rear over fenders
Spoon windshield wipers
Slammed society license plate frame
Vented oem hood
Mugen license plate bolts
ASM short antenna
Carbign craft carbon fiber exhaust heat shields

Interior:
Modifry dash bracket
Modifry glove box organizer
Proclip USA iPhone mount
Broadway mirror
Moddiction anvil shift knob
NRG short hub
NRG quick release
NRG hub lock
Momo tuner 320mm steering wheel
EZMotoring extended floor mats
Custom shift boot
Custom center console cover
Custom door panel inserts
Recaro pole position bucket seats (x2)
Mugen seat rails (x2)
Passenger seatbelt extender
Cusco 4pt roll bar
Takata seat belt harness drift II 4 point bolt on
AEM boost gauge
AEM oil pressure gauge
AEM afr gauge
HKS turbo timer
Autometer dual pod pilar

Electronics:
Alpine IDA-X303 stereo
Alpine KCE-400BT Bluetooth module
Alpine 12″ Type R sub with custom trunk box
Alpine MRN-M500 amp
Infinity speakers
Viper 5901 alarm

Engine and performance:
Precision 6262 turbo
ID1000 injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Hondata boost control solenoid
Hondata K-pro
Hondata 4 bar map sensor
Sheepey turbo manifold
Sheepey downpipe
Custom dumptube
Custom charge piping
T1r catch can
Dual spal fans
Full blown motorsports radiator
Vibrant intercooler
Tial 44mm wastegate
Tial 50mm blow off valve
AEM fuel rail
AEM fuel pressure regulator
A/C relocate
Battery and fuse box tuck
Stage 4, 6 puck, sprung Competition clutch
Full blown vtec oil pressure plug
Oil filter relocation kit
Heater valve relocation kit
Tuned by Locash racing
Megan racing 3″ exhaust
Mugen oil cap
Skunk2 magnetic drain bolts
Powder coated valve cover
GP fab radiator cooling plate

Wheels and suspension:
Tein monoflex coilovers
Rays Gramlight 57xtreme 18X9.5/10.5 +22
Hankook v-12 245/30/r18, 275/35/r18
Megan racing rear toe control arms
Rays extended lugnuts

here she is on the first night I brought her home. She came basically stock, she had some no name stereo, infinity speakers, eBay CAI, megan 3" exhaust, and some ugly metal antenna

I immediately bought an oem front lip and oem side strakes, and I told myself that's where it was gonna stop.... oh boy was I wrong....

I started hanging out with my buddy that had an rsx more and I became good friends with him, and then he introduced me to all of his friends. Almost all of them had nice Hondas that had all this stuff done to them... that's when I got the mod bug, seeing all of their cars piss on mine just got the best of me, lol
I threw on some Tein S tech springs to lower it a bit and bought a heel toe auto rear bumper cap to cover up the hole from the single exhaust (both of these are my biggest regrets in modding and are now uninstalled) but at the time I liked it.

So Im bored one day and decide to paint my calipers red, turned out pretty good

then not too long after, I buy myself an alpine stereo, sub, and amp along with an Ebay sub box

and then the mod bug just keeps going, I buy me a vanity plate saying "H DOAN" which is my first initial and last name, which if you unscrabble says HONDA, I thought that was cool and went with it. but as of today I'm bored of it and want something funny so I might change it up soon

Im super paranoid, and especially since I read so many stories about s2ks getting broken into, I went ahead and bought a viper 5901 alarm

not even 1000 miles after installing the springs, I decided I wasn't satisfied with them, I ditched them and found an awesome deal on craigslist for some tein monoflex coilovers, threw them on and couldn't be happier

then i find a local deal on here for a mugen ss wing from crazyasianrice, at first i resisted but apparently he was having trouble selling it and he kept lowering the price, I finally cave in and bought it. I installed it, even though it was silver and did a little photoshop

rock it for a few weeks then i finally take it to get painted

then installed!

washed it one day...

at ICB one day with some friends and they were buying a bunch of spoon parts, I tried to get the stubby antenna but they were out of stock so I went ahead and bought spoon windshield wipers, I dont even rock these all the time because they were so expensive, lol so i just put them on for pictures and stuff

got my rear fenders rolled and installed some 25mm spacers

found a local deal on radiator cap so i went ahead and bought it
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM

got a momo steering wheel and modifry phone holder
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hdoanphotos/6576500291/http://www.flickr.com/photos/hdoanphotos/6576500291/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/hdoanphotos/, on Flickr

bored one day and decided to paint the eBay CAI, turned out pretty good, it was some nasty looking red before, oh and i got tein hood dampers too somewhere along the line, not exactly sure when up there though lol

driving home from school one day and i hit a dead cat in the middle of the road, i almost dodged it but it cracked my lip and broke off a big chunk of my paint

random pic when i get off work late one day

getting my brakes done at my buddys house

got my car back from paint and went out clubbing

shaved my front bumper of the towhook cover and license plate holes (emblems were painted a long time ago, not sure when)

but paint doesn't match only thing i hate about RYP is that it's so hard to match

bored one day and trying one my buddys hardtop

got some custom interior (moddiction shift knob was bought a long time before this, not exactly sure where it goes up there haha)

random pic at the gas station

one of my buddy's needed some money real bad and then sells me his rims for dirt cheap, even though im broke at this point I scrounge up what i can because it was an offer i couldnt refuse. they're TE37s 18x8.5/9.5 +30/35

had to raise the car a bit temporarily to make the wheels fit, here's the s getting an alignment for now until I get my fenders ready for the wheels

took off the rear bumper cap (no pic of that)

some rolling shots my friend took this past weekend (my camber really isn't this crazy, it's just the wide angle my friend used that makes it look like it haha)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bnguyenphotography/7016748191/http://www.flickr.com/photos/bnguyenphotography/7016748191/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/bnguyenphotography/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bnguyenphotography/6870640796/http://www.flickr.com/photos/bnguyenphotography/6870640796/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/bnguyenphotography/, on Flickr

my plans for now
1. camber kits
2. mugen style cf hardtop
3. powdercoat valve cover
Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 PM

been a while since I updated this, i guess i'll do it all now, haha

last time I left off I was too high because my new wheels were too wide for me to go lower, I got some megan toe control arms because I couldn't get a good alignment, and some 225/40/18 tires so I could stretch and go lower

here's the toe control arms

here's me at my buddys house getting the toe control arms installed

and here's me after the toe arms and tires are installed and finally lowered again!

after a nice wash

passing emissions

at my sisters house

one night while at my friends house late, my car alarm goes off and I sprint out to find this, luckily they didn't take anything, and I'm glad I have a viper alarm

went through insurance and got a new top

ordered a new plate, wasn't feeling the H DOAN anymore, wanted something funny

went to ICB with my friend... couldn't help and had to buy something

at a local car meet with some of my buddies

raised the car a little because I wasn't getting enough rake, looked saggy butt to me before

went to a car show

won my first trophie, for best non 8th gen (it was an 8th gen civic show)

after another car wash

parents went out of the country which meant I could use their cars, so I decided it was the perfect opportunity to powdercoat my vc

when it was done, I thought I might as well go all out and bought the mugen oil cap as well

here's me installing the new vc

here it is installed. I absolutely love it, it's really hard to capture the green on camera, in person it is phenominal

came across an awesome deal on craigslist for some pole positions, got together every penny I could find and even borrowed some money in order to get these, it was definitely worth it, love these things

bought some seat belt extenders

got some night shots taken by my friend
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bnguyenphotography/7895469678/http://www.flickr.com/photos/bnguyenphotography/7895469678/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/bnguyenphotography/, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bnguyenphotography/7895453790/http://www.flickr.com/photos/bnguyenphotography/7895453790/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/bnguyenphotography/, on Flickr
Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 PM

picked up a cusco 4 pt from cattracks (I think, lol) this is the test fit

picked up a gp fab bmc cover from my friend, and got it powdercoated along with the roll bar

finally installed the roll bar

at a shoot with my friend for stoopidlow.com (pictures aren't out yet)

and another friend decided to take some pics of me and the S, and he made me pose with it lol

My brother that got me into the s2k sold his s2k a long time ago, but finally after seeing me with mine he finally went out and bought another. This is his 4th s2k

here's my brothers 3rd s2k that he sold in 09, wish I had pics of the first 2 but that was so long ago

and that's it for now, my current plans are:
1.) reupholster recaros in leather
2.) fix fenders
3.) takatas
4.) fresh paint
Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 PM

wow, so it's been a LONG time since I updated this. A LOT has changed, and especially recently so I figured I'd give it an update lol

so based on my instagram, my last update on here was 182 weeks ago.

177 weeks ago, i got some takata drift II seat belts

then i went to a meet

176 weeks ago, i went to another meet

173 weeks ago, photoshopped my TEs a different color

170 weeks ago, my other brother got an s2k, so now all 3 brothers have an s2k

169 weeks ago, took my TEs off to get them powdercoated

then got them back, and finally got some real stickers on them

and installed

166 weeks ago, rollin to a show

at said show

163 weeks ago, you may have noticed my bacon fenders in some pics, my brother's gray s2k got broken into, the thieves stole the seats and steering wheel, and the insurance company ended up totaling the car, so i took the fenders before the insurance took the car

161 weeks ago, parked at school, still trying to save money for a paint job

151 weeks ago, finally saved enough money to paint the car, decided to paint the entire car to ensure the paint would match since RYP is so hard to match. also decided to cut the hood vents, I believe this would be the last big or notable thing I do to the car for a while.

149 weeks ago, I picked her up from my painters house

the new look

148 weeks ago, quick photoshoot

138 weeks ago, my friend let me drive his turbo s2k (you may have noticed the silverstone s2k in some of the prior pics)... this is when i decided i wanted to go turbo, went home and started saving money this day. Afterwards, bought parts one at a time slowly but surely piecing it all together, i dont have any pics of any parts as i was trying to keep it all a secret

134 weeks ago, another photoshoot

124 weeks ago, my friend gave me some carbon fiber exhaust caps

119 weeks ago, random shot by my friend

and another
Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 PM

113 weeks ago, rollin to a show

at said show

108 weeks ago, quick shoot

102 weeks ago, at another show

85 weeks ago, did a feature on my website

Also did a video
[media]https://vimeo.com/102983092[/media]

77 weeks ago, did a battery relocate, fuse box tuck, and minor wire tuck in preparation for the turbo kit

the new bay... for now

72 weeks ago, ac line tuck

71 weeks ago, another show

70 weeks ago, quick shoot

58 weeks ago, after owning it for a year, I finally decided to install my FBM radiator since I was getting close to getting all my turbo parts together

56 weeks ago, finally got all the parts i needed for my turbo, started the install (note, at this point, i was not living at home, as I had graduated from community college and was attending ASU, I was living at an apartment, I tried to install the entire kit over my spring break, but being as how I am not mechanically inclined, I had some troubles, I was really learning as I was going, of course I did plenty of research prior, but doing and reading is two different things)

check out page 3 for the continuation
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dope timeline bro.. read through the whole thing lol. I totally know how it feels to be in college and keep up with the constant need to buy parts for the S.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also am 20 years and a college student trying to major in nursing. man you're one ballin college student haha.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM

everything looks good. not digging the rear exhaust cover. it just looks too weird.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM

ur always bored arn't u? lol nice progress

Quick Reply: Hdoan112's epic voltex and turbo college student build thread!