Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Kenny_Stang's build thread: GPW content inside!

Old 08-28-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

In preparations for my first track time in a few months, did some preventative maintenance. The front brakes were completely done (G-Loc R12) they lasted 4 events and approximately 1k street miles.

As I had the SCCA Club Trials coming up that weekend, I didn't have time to get some replacements, luckily I had some StopTech Street Performance pads on hand and swapped them out as well as my StopTech slotted rotors. They are not ideal, but for one event they will do.

The pads had also worn a little unevenly so I made sure to lubricate the caliper pins really well when I put everything back together

I also decided to upgrade the springs, the Bilstein spring rates that come with the PSS9's are soft, and weren't ideal for track duty. After talking to Will over at THMotorsports I upgraded to Swift springs 10K front 9K rear.

The car rode amazing on the new springs, somehow even though they are significantly stiffer than the Bilstein springs, they ride smoother. Highly recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade either their stock springs, or looking for better springs for their aftermarket coilovers.

On Saturday, participated in Club Trials held by Texas SCCA at MotorSports Ranch Cresson on the 1.3 CCW configuration.

Had high hopes for a dry day, but unfortunately the outer bands of Hurrican Harvey sent rain our way and only the first session of the day was completely dry.

Still managed to get the 2nd best time in my class (other car was a supercharged Miata driven by an instructor), so I was very happy with the result. Next event is in two weeks where I will be running the 3.1 configuration at MSR-C, which is alot of fun and only other time I ran it was in the wet, so hoping for some dry weather!
Old 09-06-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I upgraded my pss9's with swift springs too but just 1k more than stock (feels good but could use more) because I was afraid they would be severely under valved if I went 3k more (like you did). I want to go 10k front and 9k rear like you so how was the valving/damping feelings under extreme conditions like the track and for street application?
Old 09-06-2017, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by caleb2483
I upgraded my pss9's with swift springs too but just 1k more than stock (feels good but could use more) because I was afraid they would be severely under valved if I went 3k more (like you did). I want to go 10k front and 9k rear like you so how was the valving/damping feelings under extreme conditions like the track and for street application?
It felt great on the track, it never felt under dampened. Now if the valving was upgraded to match the spring rates, I am sure they would feel even better, but I am very happy with how they currently perform.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:00 PM

Video from this past weekend
Old 09-13-2017, 06:34 AM

So some updates, after my rain hampered event with Texas SCCA at MSR Cresson, was rewarded with a perfect day for my next one, this time running the 3.1 CCW "Full" Circuit at MSR. The temps started in the low 60's in the morning and finished off in the low 80's, really as good as you can expect for Texas in early September.

Prior to the event I went ahead and swapped out the StopTech Sport Pads to some Carbotech XP20's hoping to get some better initial bite as well as improve the longevity (GLoc R12's only lasted 4 events). Ideally I need to add some brake ducts to help cool the brakes, but just didn't have time to make it happen in the two weeks between the two track days.

There were many other S2000's out there, and even though the event was a solo event (no instructors) was able to get some pointers and do some lead/follow and really improve throughout the day.

Have some small modifications and updates coming up, and another track day in October. Hoping for great weather in that one too!
Old 10-18-2017, 10:20 AM

I am due for some udpates on here, but nothing major has changed on the car. I do have a few upgrades in the works that will likely occur this weekend, but other than that have just been driving and enjoy the car.

This picture was from a local meet with the North Texas S2Ki group at a local Hibachi & Teppanyaki restaurant.

This past weekend ran the MSR Cresson 1.3 CCW configuration with Apex Driving Academy. While the weather was quite warm (upper 80's by the afternoon), had an amazing time at the track and even got my check ride to move up to Advanced.

Also had a good group of fellow S2000 owners at the track, always good to share stories and get feedback from others.

Here is some video of me setting my personal best time (1:11:67) while chasing down one of the other S2000's.

Will have more updates next week, as well as another track day on the 28th!
Old 10-28-2017, 05:43 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 from the no-update, just enjoying car crew curious to see what the "updates" will be
The following users liked this post:
Kenny_Stang (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt. Spock
+1 from the no-update, just enjoying car crew curious to see what the "updates" will be
Nothing too exciting to report, added a baffled oil pan (Moroso weld in baffle with trap doors), and flushed all fluids (Hond MTF for tranny, Royoal Purple Max Gear for the diff, and Motul RBF 660 for the brakes).

Also had another track day this past Saturday, this time running the MSR 1.7 CCW configuration and set another personal best 1:29:80, was my first time running in advanced and was able to use an AIM Solo and use some data to analyze where I could improve, very cool tool... hoping to add one to the arsenal soon.

After the last session of the day, came into the pits and checked the brakes because I was getting some significant brake shudder during a couple of the heavy braking zones, found this

That's the first time I've cracked a rotor, though previously I had quite a few micro-cracks/crazing, getting some brake ducts/cooling is becoming more and more necessary. Will be going with the new Power Stop Track Day Spec brakes paired with EBC rotors from THMotorsports for my next set of pads/rotors. Will post up a review on my thoughts of the combination.

Lastly here is a shaky video of my personal best, unfortunately I forgot one of my spare GoPro batteries at home, and when I went to switch them out before the last session was SOL. The iPhone 7 has Optical Image Stabilization that can't be disabled, and produces these shaky/jelly looking videos... may need to look into hard wiring the GoPro so I don't have to worry about messing with batteries.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:15 AM

Some updates, after cracking the rotor, decided that I wanted to try something different. I was going through pads/rotors about every 4-5 track days, also I was running staggered pad setup (originally GLoc R12/R10, then Carbotech XP20/GLoc R10) and the front brakes were doing the majority of the braking and making the issue worse.

Decided to change things up a little bit and see if I managed to get better life/performance out of the pads and rotors. To that end I spoke with Will Long over at THMotorsports about the PowerStop Track Day brake pads, which he had been running all year and had very good results with (comparable to Carbotech XP10's/GLoc R10's). I decided to give them a shot and paired them with EBC rotors, these rotors are coated with Geomet Thermic Black coating that is supposed to help with corrosion proofing, but for a track car doesn't provide any significant benefit. The coating "burns off" during the brake bedding process, but the first 2-3 hard stops you can feel that the pads don't have as much grip as it goes through the coating.

My next event after installing the brakes and following the proper bed in procedure from PowerStop was a private Test and Tune AutoX event at the Mineral Wells Airport MineralRing course. This is a very interesting location, it orignially was used as a heliport during the Vietnam war, and was later retired and has been used widely for AutoX by many of the local AutoX groups. The course is huge, and as drawn out is approximately 1.3 miles long and you can get speeds of 90+ MPH in the back straight.

Here is the course map we used, it varied slightly from this, but pretty close:

Since this was a private event, there was only 10 people running, so we had unlimited runs, ended up doing 50+ runs in my car, as well as 10+ in my friends Honda Fit.

There were some interesting vehicles out there, including a Polaris Slingshot

The car felt great on the course, the brakes worked amazingly well, but didn't get abused as much as they normally would during a Track Day, so will withold feedback until after my next event (November 17th).

The surface of the course is pretty rough in some areas, basically the asphalt has not changed/maintained since it was originally constructed in the 1960's. Grass has grown through certain sections, and there is alot of loose gravel which makes certain portions interesting. Still a very fun location, will hopefully be doing more events out there.

This last picutre was using a filter in GIMP that I thought looked cool

Did manage to take some video using my GoPro, and overlaid it with data from Harry's LapTimer, unfortunately HLT was having issues picking up the end of the course, so timing wasn't very accurate.

Will have some more updates next week, have something in the works to address brake cooling (which is a challenge as the fake brake vents in the AP2 bumper currently house the Mishimoto Oil Cooler and Bosch Cobra water pump).
Old 11-14-2017, 09:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking good!
The following users liked this post:
Kenny_Stang (11-14-2017)

Quick Reply: Kenny_Stang's build thread: GPW content inside!