Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

oneandonlyjuarez's 2000 AP1 GPW

Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oneandonlyjuarez's 2000 AP1 GPW

How's it going? I'm mannie just thought I would share my build and story of my S.

March 2010
Purchased it back in Late Mid March 2010. May 2010 had to wait to get approved to go on leave to pick up the car in Alabama. Third owner of the S, the second owner was my best friend so it was well kept and I knew the first owner as well. The first owner had the full package.... long story short friend went to college, needed a bigger vehicle so I got a really sweet deal being close to the family and what not

May 2010
Completely stock when I first got it.

I replaced the radio and cracked speed odometer (the first layer, the plastic piece that covers the speed odometer) when I first got it.

Kept it stock and ran into problems right before being shipped off for Afghan

DEC 2010
one it snowed In Dec 2010 In Alabama, like an idiot, I decided to knock of the snow off my plastic window on the soft top, cracking the plastic window from the inside.

The second was on the way back to N.C. from leave before going to the desert I hit a possum on the way to my base.

Last time with the S and my friend before going to Afghan, you can see the cracked paint on the bumper from the possum

March-Oct 2011
So being In Afghan in 2011 I read about a group buy from Evasive Motorsports for an authentic Mugen HT, I jumped on it since I had a cracked plastic window on the soft top and it was starting to rip in the corners where it folds up. Eventually ended up getting the KN FIPK, and Invidia Headers and Invidia Q300 dual Ti Tips Exhaust system have and Invidia test pipe as well with cell fix from Evasive Motorsports

Oct 2011
Installing the Mugen HT was easy for the most part, except that freaking window...
The Invidia header was a p.i.t.a. Had to unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the engine a little to get clearance but after jacking up the engine the headers dropped right in. The rest of the exhaust was not to bad since the bottom of my S was not bad on rust. KN FIPK was an easy install, just follow the instructions it comes with.

NOV 2011
After this came the Clearing of my headlights with JDM clear diffusers from www.ricks2k.com, this was not easy, used the heat gun method. I ended up not sealing one of the lights correctly... took it the following weekend to the shop and redid the one headlight and so far no leaks or condensation in the housing

Replaced the amber side markers to clear JDM side markers from www.ricks2k.com
As you can see, I decided to sand down the part of the bumper where I hit the possum.

JAN 2012
This was the last I worked on the S, since I'm now overseas and did not have enough time to get the S in the shop to repaint her. Theses are some of the last pictures I have of the S. Driving around at a photo shoot, at Cars and coffee in Raleigh, NC, and the car at home, on leave before going overseas

FEB 2012
My radiator started leaking.. on the last trip back to Alabama

After leaving AL, I ordered a Koyo Radiator, Mugen Radiator Cap, Mishimoto Fan Switch, and Mishimoto Thermostat from Evasive Motorsports... Brother in law installed the parts. Since i'm getting the S painted i decided to might as well get a new bumper since the other was cracked from where i hit the possum.

Thank you for your time... hopefully you enjoyed this post.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Keep up the good work....
Old 01-16-2013, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by jonner
Keep up the good work....
But of course I will
Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 AM

Looking forward to the next transformation. Stay safe out there and thank you sir!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by super_mut
Looking forward to the next transformation. Stay safe out there and thank you sir!
in about a month should have update, and thank you for the support.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks great so far man keep it up, good luck with everything and be safe
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by tama05
Looks great so far man keep it up, good luck with everything and be safe
Greatly appreciated man, thank you and will do by the way loooking good on that 05 GPW
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 AM

So, you're buying me a Tamon spoiler, Mannie?

Cool.

Where's that picture I took?

Here's another:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charles_a_g/6787779816/http://www.flickr.com/photos/charles_a_g/6787779816/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/charles_a_g/, on Flickr
Old 01-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Que?.... No abla ingles lol.

I posted one up.

Look at that photo taking skill.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by oneandonlyjuarez
Que?.... No abla ingles lol.

I posted one up.

Look at that photo taking skill.
Que?

Oh, vale. La fotografia esta arriba, hombre. By the way, love the wifebeater.

Quick Reply: oneandonlyjuarez's 2000 AP1 GPW