Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Slowteg- Build thread

Old 04-12-2016, 03:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn ricer!ld:

Haha great updates, very well don mang
Old 04-12-2016, 06:22 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Very nice.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks guys, did you order those spoon mounts kev? I know it'll take some time to come from JDM land so the sooner the better! I also got those 10kg springs sitting in my garage, need to find a day to swap them for you..

I got the ES diff bushings pressed into the extra oem mounts I bought (2 you can push in by hand lol), just need to find the time to install them. I'm not really feeling like installing them anytime soon because it looks like it'll take some time (got too many house projects ongoing as well ). I just need to do a valve adjustment, tinker w/ the hondata, install the Urge rear rotors, rotate tires, and swap pads before the next event. Not too bad a list. I feel like the car should be pretty solid now for track duty without having to worry too much about anything. *knock on wood*

I still would like a seat, but I'm in no rush. I'll have to take a serious look at the Corbeau FX1 Pro as they're supposed to be good street/track seats, and I can probably buy 2 for less than one Recaro PP. duffman13 has them in his car and hopefully I'll see him at the May 10th event and test fit my derrier in his seat. If they fit me decently maybe I'll get one sooner than later, and next year do a harness and hans.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:39 AM

So.. the track day May 10th is cancelled (Dominion has been slacking and isn't ready) but I signed up for Sunday only May 15th at Shenandoah. It should be a good turnout of S's and some good fun.

Anyway, onto the #build. I decided my next mod would be Aero, so I opted for a big wing. Here's a picture of it sitting on the kitchen table.

Ok, so it's not really about performance, but more about looks. I've liked the look of a lip wing for a while now so figured what the hell. I ordered it from OEM.thing on ebay, and for <$100 shipped you can't beat it. The color is very slightly darker than the OEM paint, but for the price I can't complain, and once the rear of the car gets covered with soot it should blend in fine. Maybe one day down the road I'll have it repainted when I inevitably need to get the front bumper/front end resprayed down the road. I'll get some more pictures up after I get a chance to install it this weekend.

Regarding mods, I bought a used set of 9k KW springs for the rear I'm planning to install (to make the rear a touch more responsive, this will make the spring stagger 11kF/9kR), and the urge rear rotors. I'm hoping to modify the baffle of my VC (similar to how rainh8r did it) before the event but it'll be cutting it close with time.

I've been spending some time tinkering with the hondata, and for those that haven't messed with it in a while it's worth noting that they've added a checkbox for the throttle behavior. Make sure you have it unchecked as this is what helps reduce/eliminate "rev hang" on the s2000. I noticed more crisp throttle response when unchecking this setting and it feels much more like a nice cable throttle.

[attachment=94316:throttle.jpg]

For those that have noticed poor throttle "resolution" on the track (throttle tends to goto WOT even though your foot is only part throttle), hondata has said they will make available the other index table that alters the throttle plate opening which is affected by the vehicle speed. This should considerably help part throttle response when on track (assuming it works correctly). It's also worth noting that the indexes on the table for the throttle table are incorrectly labeled, as I've observed and pointed out by gernby. Hondata will fix the labeled indexes in the next release which hopefully will come soon.

[attachment=94317:ThrottlePlate.png]

Basically the last 4 columns are unusable.
Attached Thumbnails Slowteg- Build thread-throttle.jpg   Slowteg- Build thread-throttleplate.png  
Old 05-09-2016, 05:45 AM

So I got some time to work on the car this weekend and started with the valve adjustment. I did a valve adjustment a few years ago but figured I want to be a little more careful when it comes to maintenance these days since it spends time on the track, and I like to make sure everything is in tip top shape. A couple exhaust valves were a little on the tight side, but not terrible. I really wasn't in the mood to do the valve cover mod (as per rainh8r's thread) simply because it looked like a pita, but figured what the hell I might as well since I had the VC off.

I don't have too much to say regarding the VC mod, except it's a pita. I was a bit obssessive about cleaning things as I went which made it take a while. I opted to NOT remove the whole baffle plate as rainh8r instructions say, but followed what someone else did, and just made use of a few magnets and a deburring tool. I must say it's a giant pita because I was trying to clean tools as I went along, and there are quite a few metal shavings as you're working. It took me about 2 hrs total. I drilled large enough holes that a small telescoping magnet could be used, and I must say it worked pretty darn well. The deburring tool is critical to deburr the backside edge, as it won't have a clean edge when drilling from the opposite side.

Ultimately if you want it to be 100% clean and be absolutely sure all the edges are perfect, you need to remove the baffle plate as per rainh8r, but I'd say you can get 98% there w/o removing it. I flushed the VC with oil after I was done and am happy how it turned out. If there are any metal shavings there is only a VERY tiny amount, and the oil filter should do its job and catch them. It's definitely not a hard mod to do and hopefully this means I won't be filling my catch can anymore.

I also got around to installing the wing. I got it on ebay from OEM.thing if anyone is interested. The color is definitely a shade darker, but it's good enough for me and I can't complain for the price paid. I wonder if it'll provide any aero benefit, maybe just reduce lift a wee bit? Installation is pretty self explanatory, so no explanation needed. It fit perfectly and lines up with the OEM holes on the sides which is nice and makes it easy to drill through the trunk lid.

Of course I ran out of time (two young sick kids is pretty terrible), but I'll find some time to install the rear springs and install the urge rear rotors before the track day next weekend.

Some other thoughts.. The intake has definitely grown on me and the sound is pretty nice. It's easy to just lay off the throttle if I don't want to make a racket around town, but WOT it sounds very nice. Hopefully hondata will release the update this week that includes the next throttle index table so I can try it out on track.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:58 PM

So I got the 9k springs swapped on the rear (so I'm running 11kg front and 9kg rear) which should make the rear a little more responsive over the 8kg. Interestingly enough one of the original 8kg springs look to have sagged about a 1/4" compared to the replacement 9kg spring.

I got the urge rear rotors on, just need to finish installing the rear calipers tomorrow and I should be good to go. I swapped the front PFC 08's on for the track day, and am running PFC 97's in the rear. I opted to modify the rear caliper brackets myself and it wasn't too bad. I just used a bench grinder and hit them with some high temp paint afterwards. I was/am debating removing the rear dust shields/heat shields for the rear brakes but I think I'll just leave them for now. At some point I'll look to add some ducting to the rear as well.

Last edited by SlowTeg; 02-02-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:59 AM

Has anyone removed the rear heat shields? The heat shield sits fairly close to the rear rotor and it certainly can't help it expel heat, especially on the inboard face.. Just curious if others have done this and noticed a lot more heat/brake dust due to removing them. The front heat shields are gone as it's required with the Stoptech kit..
Old 05-13-2016, 06:05 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Has anyone removed the rear heat shields? The heat shield sits fairly close to the rear rotor and it certainly can't help it expel heat, especially on the inboard face.. Just curious if others have done this and noticed a lot more heat/brake dust due to removing them. The front heat shields are gone as it's required with the Stoptech kit..
I haven't, but I have considered it. My guess is that it doesn't come off without removing the rear hub, so I would probably go at it with tin snips, cut off wheel, or air saw.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by King Tut
I haven't, but I have considered it. My guess is that it doesn't come off without removing the rear hub, so I would probably go at it with tin snips, cut off wheel, or air saw.
Gotcha, ya that's what I was afraid of so I'll just leave them. I guess if you and others are running with them on, I should be a-ok with them on as well. I guess the nice thing is the heatshield will provide a mounting point for some ducting in the future..
Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really good read up. I have a few buddies that does course racing too. Hopefully i can join them soon.

Quick Reply: Slowteg- Build thread