Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Wait that isn't an F20c

Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those tails look amazing! it's great to see a young lad like you actually putting in some quality work as opposed to slamming the car to the ground and trying to fit a 215 tire on an 18x10 wheel. We got your back!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 PM

Deff following...
Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by twoski
those tails look amazing! it's great to see a young lad like you actually putting in some quality work as opposed to slamming the car to the ground and trying to fit a 215 tire on an 18x10 wheel. We got your back!
What he said...
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 PM

very well done dude!
respect!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ookielookie
Welcome to the forum, Joel! I'm always excited when more and more people are attracted to our forum!
Thanks Okie Lookie!

This forum is amazing, I'm thrilled about how supportive everyone is of each other and their projects. I was lucky to find this community for sure, thanks again.

Sincerely,
Joel Mackey
@ThinkAutoTech
Old 10-17-2012, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by thinmint
Originally Posted by thinkautotech' timestamp='1350416037' post='22086834
Just wanted to drop by and thank you for all the inspiration you're spreading around the younger crowd Juan. This story is incredibly inspiring for high school students, auto enthusiasts and even people thinking about getting into Automotive Technician training. It really shows what someone can do with a lot of persistance and motivation. Your picture sharing and updates make this that much better. Thank goodness for awesome forums like this and social media for people to share, grow and learn together. We were inspired so much that we also did a story on you as well. If you want to check it for facts or want anything changed just let us know. Congratulations on the exposure you're getting!

Sincerely,
Joel Mackey
@ThinkAutoTech

Post we did on you
What an awesome write up!!!
Thanks for the post, it made my day.

I had no idea Honda tweeted about me, pretty spiffy
Juan we are so excited you like the write up on you! I'm also stoked that you didn't know about Honda tweeting about you but were able to see it, that had to be pretty exciting. There were a lot of Honda dealerships that RTed and tweeted that post too! It definitely shows if you put in the work and innovation into doing something awesome that people pay attention, congrats buddy.

And those tail lights!? Dr00l. Beautiful. Kind of reminds me of the Audi R8 tail lights, a car I got to drive for 5 days. Sigh... LOL!

Keep up all the amazing work, we're all rooting for you.

Sincerely,
Joel Mackey
http://twitter.com/thinkautotech
http://findautomotiveschools.com
Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 AM

Hey there,

im currently a student at ETS (ecole de technologie superieur) in montreal and i really enjoy your work.
I have shared your post on my local car enthousiast website (montrealracing.com)

I am no longer a s2k owner but i still would like to see your work progress !!!
You have all my respect and support.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000
Originally Posted by Luder94' timestamp='1346178757' post='21971153
^^^^^^^Holy cow.....that member is old!
Pffft!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:46 PM

Not too much of an update

Yesterday I received ten 6' rods of threaded 10-32 rod. Awesome, now I just have to cut it all for their use in the battery modules.
Presently, the battery modules are on hold due to my lack of Kapton tape ( it should get here soon) and Fish paper (still trying to find a supplier). It may be time to forfeit my search for fish paper and begin looking for a suitable substitute.

I worked on the car for a couple of hours on Saturday, during which I finally made the final decision of the E-box's final location. After some heavy lifting and placing the box in multiple different locations in the engine bay, I decided to just mount it behind the drivers seat.

This way, I will be the first to know if the speed controller explodes .
But in reality, I couldn't justify placing the most expensive component of the vehicle in the only area that isn't entirely protected from the outside world.
Additionally, the physical size of the e-box was very irking, it didn't 'fit' anywhere in the engine bay like I was anticipating. In place of the e-box being in the engine bay, I will place a couple of battery modules, likely 8 or so. Three in the front near the radiators, and the other 5 along the perimeter of the bay.

With the box in place, I drilled the mounting holes and began constructing the main wiring harness.

Lots of colorful wiring, about 2 hours worth to be exact

Heat shrink reduces stress of the solder joints

Then I cleaned up the wiring using some braided sleeve that I had lying around. I think it turned out better than anticipated, very OEM-esque.

Connect the wiring harness, verify all the connections are correct, and begin routing the wiring to their locations!

One wire went this way

And then over here

And ending in the dash

The other wire had to go to the engine bay
I ran it along the door kick panel thingy, hidden by the carpet

And it ends up in the engine bay through a little hole next to the battery !

With that done, I began disassembling the work I had already completed to finish up a couple things.
I mainly had to clean up all the dirt and junk that had accumulated over the past year, but I also had to seal up a couple of gaps and such using rivets & silicone.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 PM

Rather than working on my homework after school, I cut out some RPM sensors on the CNC.
I used 1/16 5051 aluminum plating to machine the brackets, then screwed the inductive sensors on. All that is necessary at this point is to get some screws for the exciter rings and then attach to the motors.

Cool ~

Quick Reply: Wait that isn't an F20c