Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

anyone commute to work on their bike?

Old 11-01-2004, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone commute to work on their bike?

im thinkin bout buying a bike to commute to work, because parking can be expensive for the S in nyc, but my commute is 80miles round trip every day..

would it be feasible to drive a sports bike for this long, or would i get too tired?

i can either drive, or take the train to work.. only problem is, i need to drive from the train station to work..

any other things that i might need to consider in riding a bike to work everyday other than weather?
Old 11-01-2004, 07:58 AM

80 miles on a bike (even a sport bike) is not a big deal. But, there is no way I would venture into NYC on a motorcycle. Just driving around in a car on a Saturday results in about a dozen cabs cutting you off every hour. I can
Old 11-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

A motorcycles life in NYC is going to be short-lived. Good Luck. By lots of good locks and a cover.

I commute to work on my MC whenever possible, the only problem is, if I take the LONG way, it's only 7 miles one way.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:01 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

That's a brutal commute on a bike, you should factor in bad weather and lots of aggressive drivers in NYC.

Commuting on a bike is only fun on those perfect days, if you are not feeling well or the weather is bad its sucks.

I wouldn't do it on a sportbike, not a dual sport or a super motard? Maybe.

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

When I first moved from southwestern Arizona to this barren iceland called Virginia( ), I had both my Bronco and my 1400 Intruder. The family was still out west as I scoured the area for a decent place to live. Wouldn't you know it, but I blew a freeze plug out on the Bronco and had to commute on the bike. At that time it was only about 15 miles one way.

I rode in snow, freezing rain and just plain cold weather. You don't want to do it. Several reasons include riding when you're sick, so cold that you layer clothing such that your movements are impaired, and last but not least, folks just don't expect bikes to be out that time of year(not that they ever look for ya). Late February I am sitting at a light in the left turn lane- light is red. A truck stops behind me as do two other vehicles. The light turns green. The truck knocks me down before I can even get rolling. I think it was something like $1800 in bike damage and some lower back whiplash bills.

I do understand that parking is costly. If you decide to ride, please watch your back, front, sides, EVERYTHING!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:46 PM

Ahhh Socal... November 1st and I'm still wearing my vented jacket.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate commuting on my bike...the traffic and higher density of cops takes much of the fun out of riding, not to mention it's only a 5 mile commute. I'm always running late anyway, and putting on/taking off gear only adds to the delay. Still, 40 miles each way is nothing on a sportbike, but I'd consider a few things:

- theft: I wouldn't expect your sportbike to remain yours long unless you have very secure parking.
- ergos: I'd look @ something w/ a more upright seating position. Sportbikes ergos are optimized for looking ahead, not behind or to the sides; they often have pisspoor mirrors, and the hunched over ergos make it difficult to glance over your shoulders, crucial for dealing w/ NYC traffic.
- cooling: could be an issue depending on how much stop and go traffic you're in. I know my old RC51 was very unhappy in traffic, and would bake my legs as the temps got as high as 225 deg. I'd be worried about it overheating in too much traffic. For some reason a lot of Hondas (and the new R1) seem to run hot.
- safety: personally, I just wouldn't feel very safe navigating nyc rush hour on two wheels. YMMV.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:32 PM
jah

you CANT ride if it snows.

everyone is different, if its less than 35F i have problems. heated gloves would resolve this.

winter ice and gravel is a serious issue.

some sportbikes over heat in stop go trafic. a motart would be more fun.

denver trafic is augmented by the fact we dont spend any money on infrostructure and or roads and the fact there are so many ignorant bush supporters but i had a 80mile drive every day. never an issue on the gixxer, it was fun. again didnt do it much in the winter tho. got LOTS of speeding tickets. my winter project is to put a new engine in the bike, old was dwn to 90hp due to lo compression after 50K miles.

last monday while i was in the jeep, going to work, i got hit by a lady running a red lite. she was going about 65-70. i am a more confidant driver on the bike. good luck

the jeep's frame is very bent, the side that didnt get vapored is bent about 12" from straight. there is a 3x8" pice of sheet metal from the other vehicle embedded im my windshield. i am now somewhat closer to buying that s2000, cking the 4sale posts today.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:17 PM

160 miles a day for me, and Bay Area traffic is some of the worst, although I'm sure not as dangerous as NY traffic. I will say that with that long of a commute, after doing it for a while, the monotony makes it very easy to nod off while riding. And believe me nodding off on your bike is far scarier than being cut off by a NYC cab, unless you add the 2 together

Since we can split lanes here in California, I save 45- to an hour and a half one way by riding vs. driving.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:54 AM

I live in NOVA. I commute on the bike, 50 miles to each way, on the days that I don't go in with my wife.

I ride a Bandit 1200S, with some touring specific modifications. If I had to do the same ride on your run of the mill sport bike, forget it. I'm too old for that crap. But on the modded Bandit, it's a pleasure.

Quick Reply: anyone commute to work on their bike?