Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ducati vs. Buell...What am I looking for

Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ducati vs. Buell...What am I looking for

Hello Everyone,

Been on the forums for quite sometime now and just received my motorcycle license and have finally began the hunt for a bike . Im looking between a few bikes ranging from the Buell XB12s and ducatis 748 or 749 (those body styles including 999, 996, 916, 998). Kind of over the japanese bike scene unless i find something I really like but pretty much sticking to those specific bikes.

Now i guess i just wanted to start a discussion on benefits of either one over the other and things to look out for. Obviously they are very different bikes and the ducatis are more prestigious and overall a better machine, but that also comes with maintenance $$$ and things alike. Discuss.....

OR

Old 06-19-2013, 05:11 AM

no one has an opinion....
Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

great starter bike....
Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend who owns 4 ducati's is selling his 1996 916 with only 3700 orig miles.
everything is stock except for the tires(michelin Pilot) its red (MonoPosto)

asking $4900

pm me if interested.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 AM

@Jsenclosures...saw this post too? No one was answering in here so I had to post in the upstate thread as i found out you guys had a bike thread.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:02 AM

I guess I can throw some input into this. I own an 07 XB12S very similar to the one you have pictured up there. They are a nice bike, easy to ride and handle really well. There is a few down falls with them, one the fact they are no longer in business, parts are slightly on the rise and little bit harder to find. These bikes can also be a little temper-mental mattering on your riding style and where you going to be riding. I wouldn't recommend them in an area where it will be very warm. I live in NC and right now with the High 80 days if you get stuck in traffic, there is a cooling fan that blows the hot air from the engine on to your legs. Other than that they are really fun to ride. One suggestion I could give with your venture into finding a bike is pay attention to your insurance cost's also, some times they can be outrageous for what the vehicle is.

-Mike
Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW!!! that's a lot of bike for a first time rider, which I know you don't want to hear right now....

If you have to have a v-twin, check out the Aprilia RSV1000R. I believe the last year they were made was 2009??? Very clean, low mile examples are not hard to come by. If you don't have to have a v-twin, you might check out Aprilia's RSV4, it's a v-4 configuration. Aprilia has won WSB (World Superbike) manufacturers' championship for the past couple years.

I myself used to own a 2001 RST1000, it was an incredible sport touring bike. The Aprilias of this generation (including the RSV1000 mentioned about) cam with Rotax motors and were extremely reliable, requiring basic maintenance. The valves do not need to be checked as often as the Ducatis'. I had 26,000 miles when I checked the vavles, no adjustments were required.

Check them out, and if you like being original this is the bike for you. Everyone gives a blank look when you say you own an Aprilia - probably the same people who don't know Honda made a convertible.

Analogy
If Ducati = Ferrari of M/C's, then Aprilia = Lamborghini of M/C's (both exotic Italians).

If this is your first bike, and I'm sure you've been told to be careful, I won't do that here..... I will pass along this, when my wife and I hit gravel in the road we laid the bike down doing about 40 mph and slid into a ditch. We were geared-up with helmets and armored jackets. We walked away with only scratches on our knees.

Don't skimp on safety equipment. Many insurance companies will reimburse you for your safety gear (clothing) on top of the motorcycle itself in the event of an accident, my Progressive policy paid $1000 for the 2 of us.

Take al this for what it's worth, it's only my experience.

- Arro
Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 AM

thanks for the tips guys, open to all and everything, and always good to hear the gear advice every once and while definitely not something i plan on skimping out on. I am just passion for all things motor and am someone who believes they can control their actions relating to speed and reckless driving. so keep it coming....
Old 06-20-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Arro
WOW!!! that's a lot of bike for a first time rider, which I know you don't want to hear right now....

If you have to have a v-twin, check out the Aprilia RSV1000R. I believe the last year they were made was 2009??? Very clean, low mile examples are not hard to come by. If you don't have to have a v-twin, you might check out Aprilia's RSV4, it's a v-4 configuration. Aprilia has won WSB (World Superbike) manufacturers' championship for the past couple years.

I myself used to own a 2001 RST1000, it was an incredible sport touring bike. The Aprilias of this generation (including the RSV1000 mentioned about) cam with Rotax motors and were extremely reliable, requiring basic maintenance. The valves do not need to be checked as often as the Ducatis'. I had 26,000 miles when I checked the vavles, no adjustments were required.

Check them out, and if you like being original this is the bike for you. Everyone gives a blank look when you say you own an Aprilia - probably the same people who don't know Honda made a convertible.

Analogy
If Ducati = Ferrari of M/C's, then Aprilia = Lamborghini of M/C's (both exotic Italians).

If this is your first bike, and I'm sure you've been told to be careful, I won't do that here..... I will pass along this, when my wife and I hit gravel in the road we laid the bike down doing about 40 mph and slid into a ditch. We were geared-up with helmets and armored jackets. We walked away with only scratches on our knees.

Don't skimp on safety equipment. Many insurance companies will reimburse you for your safety gear (clothing) on top of the motorcycle itself in the event of an accident, my Progressive policy paid $1000 for the 2 of us.

Take al this for what it's worth, it's only my experience.

- Arro

the rsv1000r is alot of bike way more than the duc and buell i beleive for first time rider and i'd love to have aprilias but an RSV4 is a little bit out of my price range currently lol
Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Speaking from experience, if a used RSV4 (an absolutely great value even against Japanese bikes) is out of your price range, the Ducatis you're talking about with maintenance costs factored in will also be out of range, with the exception of the 748 and the early year 749s. If you're mechanically inclined, doing the belts yourself is easy enough to take care of...but anything beyond that I would at least start with assistance from a reputable shop. There are generally two problems with doing work on ducs yourself- if you screw up or break something, it's an expensive mistake every time. And the resale value of a bike without well documented maintenance is always lower, which may not be a big deal if you're looking at (relatively) bargain basement bikes.

All that aside, my 749S is a wonderful bike. Aesthetically, I'm a fan of the 999, the power delivery is very linear and easy to modulate, and the bike is plenty comfy for a superbike. If you're looking for a bike to put miles on, I'd definitely give preference to the XX9 series over the 916-based family...less likely to have mechanical issues, easier to work on and substantially less demanding riding position.

Both ducati.ms and the Aprilia forum run by AF1 are great communities and resources...though both places, especially ducati.ms, have owners that will go overboard trying to sell you on their justification for buying an older, expensive and relatively underperforming bike. I don't have any experience with Buells, so can't help ya there. Post up if you want any more info or have questions on the Ducati side.

Quick Reply: Ducati vs. Buell...What am I looking for