BMT - Boston Mountains Tour Covers some of the best winding and scenic roads that the Arkansas Boston Mountains range of Central and Northwest Arkansas has to offer with roads that challenge even the most experienced drivers.

BMT Spring 2013 4/6/13

Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BMT Spring 2013 4/6/13

NEW BMT THREAD LINK

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/101...13-new-thread/
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kegan-san +1
Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in also +1.

I know many of these roads, as I ride my motorcycle on them a lot. Since this is my first 4-wheeled rally (versus the 2-wheeled rallies I'm used to) I would prefer to just be in the group driving. That said, if you need a 4th leader, let me know and I'll volunteer. I'm sure I'd need a communications radio, so if someone could recommend a good model, I'd appreciate it, as all I'm use to are CB radios.

As far as routing, do you folks post a GPS route of the drive prior to the rally? If not, if you spell out the routing I can upload a .gpx file of the route for those that like a GPS for their drive.

I"m looking forward to this!

Scott

P.S. you may want to reschedule your Pre-drive, the weather sounds like it's been horrible in Mid-central AR!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in +1. Really looking forward to it. This will be my first drive with you guys.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me and +1. Me for sure, probably a +1

This bmt I'll be very much more prepared than I have any in the past.

Fresh oil, tranny, clutch and diff fluids
New tires
Half shaft spacers
Front and rear bumpsteer kits
And within the next week, an alignment to bring it all together!

Car has been due for an update for quite some time anyways. Figured I'd go ahead and pay now instead of later...
Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm definitely in. Put Donnie down too, probably with a +1 as usual.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been waiting for this post and the moment I saw it I put in the Vaca time at work.

Put me in +1

Matthew (Oklahoma)
Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

At 7 am this morning (Friday) there was 1-inch snow topped by over 1/4-inch of ice on tops of the Boston Mountains
in Newton County Arkansas. By 5 pm today only 20% of the snow and ice was left on the top 1/3 of the mountains as
the sun got the temps up to 41 deg by 4 pm. Tomorrow morning we will have to watch out for black ice only on county roadways
sections that never get out of the shade this time of year. High temps tomorrow expected to be higher than today. I
will be running with my all-weather Bridgestone tires instead of my summer Bridgestone tires. All state maintained
roadways should be free of ice and snow.

Jerome
NW Arkansas
Old 02-22-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Scott, The individual routing for any BMT is only revealed at the registration process on the morning of the event. Each
driver is given a packet that contains the turn-by-turn instructions for that BMT event. If you are one of the first to
register, you will have time to program your GPS before the first group heads out. Registration starts at 7:45 am.

Jerome
NW Arkansas
Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by riderguy57
I'm in also +1.

I know many of these roads, as I ride my motorcycle on them a lot. Since this is my first 4-wheeled rally (versus the 2-wheeled rallies I'm used to) I would prefer to just be in the group driving. That said, if you need a 4th leader, let me know and I'll volunteer. I'm sure I'd need a communications radio, so if someone could recommend a good model, I'd appreciate it, as all I'm use to are CB radios.

As far as routing, do you folks post a GPS route of the drive prior to the rally? If not, if you spell out the routing I can upload a .gpx file of the route for those that like a GPS for their drive.

I"m looking forward to this!

Scott

P.S. you may want to reschedule your Pre-drive, the weather sounds like it's been horrible in Mid-central AR!
I'd stick to Midland or Motorola radios. Some say it doesn't matter which you buy or how much you spend, but I've done a whole lot of these types of drives, and if you're the talkative type, or if the group gets spread out a bit in the mountains, people with the cheaper radios tend to have choppy transmissions and don't get nearly the range. I went through several sets before settling on a Midland set I got on sale for about $60 (normally $80 or so). If you don't think you'll ever talk much, a cheaper set probably won't be an issue.

One thing I highly recommend is that you get a pair with external microphone/speaker connections. Then buy something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Original-Handh...ref=pd_sim_e_3. Keep your radio in the console and clip this remote mic on your seatbelt on top of your left shoulder. You'll never have issues hearing people then, and when you talk, there's never any fumbling around or having to look down to find the radio. MUCH safer.

As far as the GPS, unless you just really want to see the route on screen, it's really unnecessary. The tour guides do a great job keeping everyone together, and you don't even have to think about where to turn, especially if you have a good radio that you can hear clearly.

Quick Reply: BMT Spring 2013 4/6/13