California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Fender bender at the BART station

Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender bender at the BART station

I should have went with my gut. I knew parking at the BART station was always a bad idea especially with the S. But a coworker of mine convinced me that it really isn't all the bad depending on what station you're at. So I said why not try, and I decide to give it a shot. Today I learned that the only thing worse than parking at the BART station is avoiding the reckless drivers at the BART station. Especially those rushing to catch their 8:10am train because they're late.

I'm driving along trying to find a safe spot in the structure. I see one on the right and I knew it was the one for me. Wide open space, Benz on right and a Lex on the left. I start turning right to move on in and the next thing I know, Crunch! Oh look, there's a blue Prius stuck to my passenger-side door. WTF?! I get out of the car and the old dude calmly states, "You veered left and suddenly turned right. Why didn't you have your blinker on?" I give him a flabbergasted look and ask, "Why in the hell did you try to overtake me in a 5mph parking garage?"

Damage looks minor overall. Passenger side door is banged up. We exchanged information and I later called his insurance company to process the claim. I am positive that I'm not at fault here. I guess I'll see what the adjuster says about it when he/she takes a look. Damn my luck. Any advice on how I should proceed with the claims process and the repairs?

Pics:
http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk306/j...ender%20bender/
Old 04-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Im sorry to hear that bro. That's terrible, I feel your pain I can imagine if it where my car. Hopefully you wont have to go through any trouble to get this fixed by the the old guy's insurance.

P.S It had to be by a Prius too. The fugliest of fugly cars.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 PM

Ouch! Sorry to hear.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 PM

i was going to suggest dent day before i saw the pix... well if they do pay you well you can try having the dent guy try his luck with it. might end up a bit cheaper than replacing the door. looks like a lot of dents though.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 PM

[QUOTE=CaliS2k45,Apr 17 2008, 08:04 PM] P.S It had to be by a Prius too. The fugliest of fugly cars.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jadebellyt,Apr 17 2008, 08:26 PM
Even worse, the fugliness didn't get fuglier after the accident. Maybe a scratch, nothing more. I swear it seems like the bad stuff only happens to people who do care about their cars...
yepi feel you on this...bad things happen to a car when you take care of it too much...

sorry to hear what happened...

well lesson learned...always trust your instinct...
Old 04-18-2008, 02:36 AM

Man that sucks. Parking lot accidents are the worst to deal with. Cops don't care and its your word against his for the most part.

A lot of smug Prius drivers out there. Everyone on BARF seems to hate them. I understood why when I was turning left into a driveway on a 1 lane 2 way street with my blinkers on. Prius driver tried to overtake me and cut me off on the opposite lane as I was turning left.. idiot...
Old 04-18-2008, 09:28 AM

crap.. what bart station was this? most stations have cameras.. maybe you can check with them??
Old 04-18-2008, 07:13 PM

I talked to his insurance folks again. It is his word against mine, but since he was following me, the blame falls on him.

I was given the option of going with one of their shops or choosing my own. I obviously went with the latter and she said an inspector would come out next week to look at the damages and come up with an estimate. They'll cut me a check and I take it to whoever I want. If the body shop I take it to determines that it will cost more than what was estimated, the insurance company will pay the bodyshop the difference to fix it. Now I just have to find a good bodyshop that can hook it up. I hope the appraiser isn't too stingy with the estimate.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 PM

Good luck with your claim. I take bart to SF regularly, never parked my s at bart station, just don't feel safe. Either have someone drop you off or get another car.

Quick Reply: Fender bender at the BART station