California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Car shipping company recommendations

Old 08-11-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shipping company recommendations

We are moving to MA for the time being, and we need to ship our S. Does anybody have a reputable car shipping company that they've worked with before they can recommend?
Thank you in advance...
MyLee
Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 AM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Get in touch with Kyras on this forum. She posts most frequently in Vintage but she is a SoCal member. She just bought another S2k and is having it shipped. She may be able to share her research with you and info on the company she chose.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:33 AM

I used these guys to ship my s over to me from Texas to CA, it was just over 1k miles. The site looks a bit shady but they were really great, had excellent communication, and they also gave me the best quote out of the other places I called. I had my s shipped in a covered transport. They opened the door to the trailer when they arrived I was expecting disaster, but when I saw the other cars they were transporting I felt silly for worrying. My car was the only car in the transport under $150,000. Everything in there was an exotic!

http://www.redcarpetautotransport.com/

Really great top notch service, even the driver was super polite and professional.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:01 PM

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by luvschnauzers
We are moving to MA for the time being, and we need to ship our S. Does anybody have a reputable car shipping company that they've worked with before they can recommend?
Thank you in advance...
MyLee
I used Transport Reviews.com to choose my shipper. You should know that there are (1) brokers, who take your info and then find a carrier for the job, (2) there are carriers, and there are (3) carrier/brokers. The carriers are the ones who will take your order and be the one that ships it in their own trucks. I found out that some who claim to be carriers still end up shipping your car with a different company. That's what happened with me, but I was aware of it before giving them money.

You have a choice of an open carrier or an enclosed carrier. Open is cheaper by a couple hundred dollars or so, for across the country.

I had my '05 NSX shipped in March 2009 from Chicago to Orange County, for $1,400. I used Alpine Transport Inc and I was very happy with them. The car was loaded while I was there, in Chicago, on a Saturday and I had it in my garage the following Thursday. I went with enclosed but the sides of the carrier were like curtains that were pulled across. Good enough. I didn't know any better at the time.

I recently bought a 2007 S2000 that was in Raleigh, NC. It is currently on its way to me, and will be delivered on Tuesday, Aug 20th. I wanted to go with enclosed and a carrier again, not a broker. The prices I was quoted were $1,525 to $2,800. Most of them were actually going to broker it out though. The cheapest one was Door to Door. The guy (Anthony) I talked to on the phone was such a pushy asshole that I didn't care how much they charged I wouldn't hire them. Alpine wanted $1,750 which I didn't want to spend even though I was very happy with their shipping of my NSX.

I ended up going with Stateway Auto Transport Inc.. They are a carrier AND a broker. I wasn't happy about them brokering it out but I felt like they would hire only reputable carriers that they were familiar with, like Sam told me. It was $1,545 enclosed. Stateway Auto ended up putting my car out on the bid boards and it was picked up by Tony who drives his own carrier for Exclusive Auto Movers. I have talked to Tony 3 times on the phone and he seems like a good guy.

You can go on Transport Reviews.com and put in what you need and get quotes. I recommend you look around that site and get an idea of what it's about. Every company has reviews from clients and are rated up to 5 stars. I wouldn't consider any company that doesn't have a 5-star rating.

Name:  IMG_1755LoadingNSX.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  178.8 KB^March 14, 2009. Alpine Transport loading in Chicago.

Name:  IMG_1766.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  154.5 KB

Name:  DSC07680_zpsa002c61f.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  275.9 KB^'07 being loaded in Raleigh, NC on Aug 9th.

Name:  DSC07677-Copy_zps22012c17.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  178.1 KB
The following users liked this post:
MariaWalsh (09-05-2017)
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 PM

I've not used them, but have heard good things about them:

http://www.montway.com/

Then again, with Kyra's superb write-up above, I'm not sure why anyone else needs to post. Ha ha.

I'm sure you've thought of it, but if you can swing it, I can't think of anything more fun than taking a week long roadtrip across the country during the fall in the S. I did it last year (not in the S, unfortunately) and it was just gorgeous to see the foliage and scenery change as I made my way Eastward. I highly recommend it.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I think Montway is another 5 star company. The name rings a bell.

*EDIT* Montway is another 5 star company and one of the top rated transporters.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 PM

+1 for MOntway.

I just used them in June to ship my s2000 from Atlanta to Long Beach.

don
Old 08-23-2013, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes check transport review.com. but call to get quotes ahead of time, best 1 week in advance so u won't have delay. I found a lot of 5 star company claim u Dont pay until deliver still end up asking a deposit.

I end up using 1flatrate. Not a penny paid until they delivered. Pretty good at communicating throughout. Ask for both open &enclosed price too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-23-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Opening this old thread 'cuz I can't find anything newer.

Looking for a company to move my S2000 from Cleveland OH area to Richmond VA area next month.

Any recent experience appreciated.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Car shipping company recommendations