Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2012 GTI impressions.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2012 GTI impressions.

Well, i got a new job and will be spending more time in my car, so i really needed some more utility / room / comfort etc...
after looking some at civics, some used RL's / TL's, hyundai's, etc, i landed on a 2012 GTI

What made the difference for me, was the GREAT lease deals they had, and the GREAT interior quality, standard features, and decent power (6MT was a huge plus too). This is actually my 2nd VW and once again, im very impressed with the build quality, quality of materials used, and great financing. The soundsystem is very very good (i got the upgraded one), and the touchscreen radio is very nice.. it has sat radio, ipod connection AND a SD card slot (LOVE THIS) and bluetooth (it will even stream music over BT). Oh, and it has my fav. OEM steering wheel.

ive only had her for 100 miles or so, so i cant speak for long term reliability, but all maintenance is paid for for 3 years (my lease term), and history shows ill only have her for a year or so anyway.

Ill put up some actual interor shots later, but this is what i got:

only complaint is that you used to be able to just add Bi-xenon HID's as a option (800 or so) but now you have to get it with NAV and acouple other things, so it turns into a 3k option.. i just got the sunroof / upgrade sound and bought some HIDs..

Anyway, just thought id share! IMO, its hard to beat this car for the price.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 AM

Oh, and i am planning on lightly modding this... A good drop, chip and rims and ill be good to go.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

They seem like solid cars. I just can't see myself ever going back to anything FWD.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Goodlooking car and definitely tempting as long as maintenance is paid for. Love those wheels! They catch my eye every time I see them.

Up here in Canada, the base GTI model is $30K+ and optioned to your level would be over $35K (MSRP)!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
They seem like solid cars. I just can't see myself ever going back to anything FWD.
yeah for sure.. if it wasnt more of a DD for me, i can see the issue. They do have a Golf R coming out this year... same car, with AWD and all features standard.. also has better suspention / body kit / more power.. about 90% sure ill pick it up:

Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good drop, chip and rims and ill be good to go.
I like the rims, they look great with the white car. Save your money for beer.

Congrats on the car. Enjoy.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Love that interior
Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Goodlooking car and definitely tempting as long as maintenance is paid for. Love those wheels! They catch my eye every time I see them.

Up here in Canada, the base GTI model is $30K+ and optioned to your level would be over $35K (MSRP)!
Same story here in Puerto Rico. I went to see the GTI. Exellent fit and finish and the sound system was in another league but the ask me 34K.

Excellent choice Enjoy it
Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My roommate just put a deposit down on a 2010 GTI with ~22k miles, 6 speed. I went to test drive it for him this past Sunday (he isn't too great at manual yet, so he wanted me to test drive). I was thoroughly impressed with the car. Everything about it was great: great power, nice steering feel, tight yet comfy suspension, smooth gear box, very high quality interior, tons of technology, very nice touch screen stereo, awesome bluetooth tech, looks great. He should be picking it up later this week, I'm excited to spend more time in the car. Would be a great DD, I love hatches.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:08 PM

I love my Dad's 6MT 2011 GTI. His is a 4 door. Interior is just absolutely gorgeous. I love driving it. You made a nice decision, especially with the great deals.

Something you might want to check into. My dad got scheduled maintanence on his, and he went in for an oil change at 5k miles, and they said oil changes are at every 10k miles. That boggled my mind, but that's how that dealership rolls I guess. Good luck and enjoy!!

Quick Reply: 2012 GTI impressions.