S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   2018 Toyota/BMW Supra (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/2018-toyota-bmw-supra-1119319/)

budgy 04-14-2015 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2 (Post 23577507)

Originally Posted by budgy' timestamp='1429031800' post='23577488
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1429016713' post='23577154']
[quote name='budgy' timestamp='1428984555' post='23576871']
I see tons of new BMW's on the road, don't hear many owners complaining about reliability with them. I honestly believe that in part a reason that Toyota's are more reliable is that their owners are people that typically do not drive their cars aggressively and always do the scheduled maintenance.

Realistically the only good engine Toyota makes from a performance stand point is the V8 in the RCF, that would also be bad ass but maybe they have reasons for not using it? Too wide?

You bean around cars much? Germans build great 50k cars and then expensive stuff starts failing.

Yes everyone knows this (the exception seems to be Porsche) but these expensive repairs are not always related to the engine. Everything about this car is incredibly speculative, and most people crying about reliability are not the kind of people that keep a car past warranty anyway.
[/quote]

Your reasoning on Toyota isn't correct. They just build better motors. So does Honda. Honda reliability isn't because people don't drive them hard.

A car should last outside warranty. Minor wear items aside outside super cars, modern cars should go 200k without issue. You don't see many 200k bmws on the road.
[/quote]

And I am too accept your definition of 'better' as it relates only to durability? Anyway, I don't wanna detract from the thread anymore. I do basically agree with everything you said :) I am just saying how many people that buy a modern sports car in that range are in it for the long haul? I think most will want the latest and greatest when the 4 or 5 year warranty is up they will go and replace. If the reliability is shit, it hurts the resell value and people that are not afraid to turn their own wrenches will pick these up and gladly save themselves the depreciation. If they build this, regardless of how it is built people will buy it.

MartyS 04-15-2015 10:00 PM

The rumors about the Supra getting a BMW engine is disappointing. I understand that companies these days need to partner up to reduce R&D costs for launching new platforms and cars but c'mon the engine is the heart and definition of a car. For Toyota to use a BMW engine is a Supra is blasphemy and really selling out the nameplate. To go from the legendary 2JZ engine to using another company's engine is just sad...

HUNTERANGEL121 04-16-2015 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by MartyS
The rumors about the Supra getting a BMW engine is disappointing. I understand that companies these days need to partner up to reduce R&D costs for launching new platforms and cars but c'mon the engine is the heart and definition of a car. For Toyota to use a BMW engine is a Supra is blasphemy and really selling out the nameplate. To go from the legendary 2JZ engine to using another company's engine is just sad...

The 135i has a N54 twin turbo. Don't see why it would be any different in the Ft-1 concept car. The German 2JZ. If they use the current motor of the M4/M3, boost for days :)

Mr.E.G. 04-16-2015 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by budgy (Post 23576871)
I see tons of new BMW's on the road, don't hear many owners complaining about reliability with them. I honestly believe that in part a reason that Toyota's are more reliable is that their owners are people that typically do not drive their cars aggressively and always do the scheduled maintenance.

Realistically the only good engine Toyota makes from a performance stand point is the V8 in the RCF, that would also be bad ass but maybe they have reasons for not using it? Too wide?

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you're really never heard BMW owners speak of reliability issues? Really?

budgy 04-16-2015 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G. (Post 23580114)

Originally Posted by budgy' timestamp='1428984555' post='23576871

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you're really never heard BMW owners speak of reliability issues? Really?

I hear them complaining that the repairs when they do happen are more expensive. The key point is that I am speaking about a modern BMW. Much in the way that a Ferrari made today is a much more reliable automobile than they were from 20+ years ago, BMW and all these European companies have made similar improvements.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm

Seems that in the last 5 years or so BMW is about average for the number of problems. Sure the repairs are more costly, they are expensive vehicles by comparison to begin with.

EDIT: I should have known that talking about reliability with Honda guys brings about high expectations :)

Manga_Spawn 04-16-2015 09:56 AM

I don't understand why they didn't just put the engine from the ISF in there. Why do they need to go to the germans for a turbo inline 6? Did they loose all the engine specs from the last gen supra? Seems like all that engine needed was modern tech and it would easily be a 500hp package considering most mildly built supras easy get over 500hp.

BMW engines are plenty reliable from what I have seen but its all the electronics and other stuff that is the pain.

Rx8toS2k 04-19-2015 02:52 AM

I think this platform is going to be in the six figures to compete with the Nissan GTR and Acura NSX.

EricJT7 04-19-2015 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Redline S2K (Post 23577271)

Originally Posted by civdaddy' timestamp='1428979721' post='23576820
[quote name='budgy' timestamp='1428934286' post='23575787']
I am surprised so many people here do not like the styling. I think if it goes into production it would be the best looking car on the road. If it has an M3 engine I see no reason to be disappointed considering that same motor propels a fairly heavy M3 down the straights as fast or faster than the new Vette.

Many people have come to enjoy "toyota reliability". A BMW engine in a toyota car doesn't have "toyota reliability". I don't understand the sense in people buying a frs/brz for "Toyota reliability". It will be the same with the new supra.

That union isn't nearly as questionable as a marriage with BMW. Subaru is leagues ahead of BMW when it comes to reliability.
[/quote]

When it comes to high performance engines, BMW does it way better than Subaru. At least if history is an indicator.
However, Toyota has hit a grand slam in the past with the 2JZ, so it is ironic they went to BMW to build them a turbo six.

Urbn31 05-06-2015 04:46 AM

MKIV 2jz will always be the super car of my generation, clean lines, massive power, what else do you want?

mosesbotbol 05-06-2015 06:27 AM

If you want reliable, I'd take a Toyota engine over any other manufacture without question. Honda would be second. BMW would not even come up as a consideration.