S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   2020 Supra - Anyone else liking it and would replace your S2k for it? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/2020-supra-anyone-else-liking-would-replace-your-s2k-1194197/)

ThreeD 05-17-2019 04:01 AM

I really, really like it. It looks like a BRZ w a better chassis and more power + refinement. But I wouldn't replace the S for it. It would be a second sports car - ( I like manual transmission, and top down). I'm not ready for a second sports car right now, but it is on the short list when I'm ready in 5--7yrs. My suspicion is there will be a manual transmission version released by then.

It wasn't even on my radar on cars I thought I'd like until I saw the videos.

- the chassis and suspension tuning looks superb. It looks like it handles like a S2000, maybe a little less edgy, but definitely a playful chassis
- the interior is nice, and it rides well. Idk why people are complaining about the BMW interior. I'd rather have a BMW than a Toyota interior.
- it is CHEAP. It has a true sports car chassis. The closest comparison is the M2 but that is based on a street car chassis and handles more like a BMW than the Supra. An equivalent cayman would be 70k+. A Mustang is comparable maybe at the same price but - again - one can make the argument that the chassis is not as performance focused
- at least the AT it comes w is good
- RWD, LSD, a lot of factory included easy upgrades - bungs already in for oil, trans, diff coolers, easily removable vents for cooling, etc
- what else can you find in the new market for $50k?
- I like the rear end styling. Super aggressive.

I expect there will be many different versions to come. Am thinking this would a good compliment to (and respite from) the S2000 and that it will be a good car for my wife - good balance, playful, w a lot of power, but still has stability control, refined, daily drivable, and comfortable.

Langelo DeMysterioso 05-17-2019 04:29 AM

Yes, No :LOL:

IA-SteveB 05-17-2019 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by JasonMG (Post 24602591)
Nope

1. Manual transmission
2. Convertible (hardtop convertible would be fine, retractable or removable)
3. Interesting design/process. The S2000 is rare (to me) in how it came to be.

On the flip side, handling is hugely important to me and apparently they got this part right. Handling is far more important to me than torque. I love snap lane changes, cornering, etc, that I can do with the S2000. I wouldn't mind more torque but once I'm going as little as 20MPH I can control the car to get enough torque for my driving style.

My favored short trip:

Pull out of garage from home or work, tool around on city/side streets for a bit, heading to a highway on ramp. Open it up, 0-85 as fast as it'll go (traffic depending), cruise the highway for a bit, pull off, some back roads again, maybe back on the highway for a bit again. Then pull into a restaurant/gas station/store and get a compliment or two (seriously, so far this year, I've had someone say something every time I've driven it. It's wild.).

A big chunk of that experience involves the top being down. For me, the role this car fills requires it.

I definitely agree with you. I bought the S2000 primarily for handling. I came from a long history of heavy muscle cars and I was ready for a change. My experience in the S2000 is wonderful because I always vary my routes to my destination so I can have the most fun. I admittedly take roundabouts a lot faster than I should but it is only when I am sure no one else is around. There are some things I don't like about that car but they are easily offset by the good stuff. My top is almost never up since it is a good weather driver. The only time it is up is when it is a little too cool even with the heat full blast OR it is scorching hot and air conditioning is necessary.

Jah2000 05-17-2019 09:56 AM

Its' many reviews on superb handling and balance is my main interest too.

It's good it handles like a BMW... because the original Supra honestly sucked b*lls in handling. A lot of people complain it's not a good OG Supra successor... but that actually a good thing.

The only thing the original Supra had that was good, was an iron block 2JZ capable of being built for high HP and drag racing, lol. It's only praised as a "legend," because it's one of the only few famous '90s Japanese sports cars; and Not for its' (horrible) handling, balance, suspension, chassis, etc.. That's the only reason they're valued - 2JZ and '90s hype.

Everything else about it sucked donkey nuts. I've ridden in a few (never drove though) and Never liked it (felt like a tugboat, sedan or a truck). I do like the new one though as it's more engineered for handling and balance.

s2000Junky 05-17-2019 10:07 AM

For those interested in the relative conversation.

blueprint 05-17-2019 11:17 AM

I dont really understand all the hate this car is garnering.

Im super excited to get my hands on one. I love everything about it.

sam_spider 05-17-2019 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by blueprint (Post 24602879)
I dont really understand all the hate this car is garnering.

I don't either, truth be told. Seems all the hate is the lack of a manual, but I think that's more an excuse to complain :shrug: I think it looks really good and shows a lot of promise. With all the SUV's coming out every day it's really nice to see a new 2 door sports coupe coming out.

Nate Tempest 05-17-2019 12:10 PM

I don't understand the "BMW engine" hate. (Especially from the uninformed who think the whole car is just a rebadged Z4.) I do kind of understand the styling hateā€”the concept looked great, and the Supra, while it's starting to grow on me, is more of an acquired taste. I'm still not a fan of the front fascia. I can also kind of see the "fake vents" hate, although it's somewhat better that they were designed thoughtfully with space to run ducts and such.

blueprint 05-17-2019 12:26 PM

The only Hate im anticipating is the dealership mark up this car will have.

ThreeD 05-17-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by blueprint (Post 24602922)
The only Hate im anticipating is the dealership mark up this car will have.

Same. At sub-60k I think it's a steal. More than that and it starts getting too close to the Cayman. Though I think maintnenace on the Supra will still be much cheaper than having to pay Porsche tax.