S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   2020 Supra - Anyone else liking it and would replace your S2k for it? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/2020-supra-anyone-else-liking-would-replace-your-s2k-1194197/)

zeroptzero 05-17-2019 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by sam_spider (Post 24602909)
I don't either, truth be told. Seems all the hate is the lack of a manual, but I think that's more an excuse to complain :shrug: I think it looks really good and shows a lot of promise. With all the SUV's coming out every day it's really nice to see a new 2 door sports coupe coming out.

The expectations were too high for the Supra name, if it was called a Toyota IR350i people would think it was a great new car.

When I heard that the Supra was coming back I was a bit worried as a Honda fan. I thoroughly expected it to be a NSX killer -priced accordingly of course. It did not get built that way though.

As a sports car I like it, and I like the auto transmission that can shift faster than me, the autos also work great with turbos. No complaints from me overall. GM has the world convinced that building cars is dumb, so good to see Toyota proving them wrong.

s2000Junky 05-17-2019 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24602932)
The expectations were too high for the Supra name, if it was called a Toyota IR350i people would think it was a great new car. When I heard that the Supra was coming back in recent years I thought it would be a NSX killer and priced accordingly of course. I like it, and I like non-manual transmissions that can shift faster than me, they also work great with turbos. No complaints from me on that.

Natural conclusion to have especially with the FT1 visuals burned in our heads, it looked like a NSX killer, something special. This carnation of the Supra is not that. Doesn't mean its a bad car, just not what many of us were expecting. I still think the front face is not helping it at all. Put a "gazoo racing" sticker/decal next to the fake side vents and it would be salt in the eye.

ragtophardtop 05-17-2019 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest (Post 24602914)
I don't understand the "BMW engine" hate. (Especially from the uninformed who think the whole car is just a rebadged Z4.) I do kind of understand the styling hateā€”the concept looked great, and the Supra, while it's starting to grow on me, is more of an acquired taste. I'm still not a fan of the front fascia. I can also kind of see the "fake vents" hate, although it's somewhat better that they were designed thoughtfully with space to run ducts and such.

Try owning one, the maintenance/breakdowns will make you hate it.

ZDan 05-17-2019 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky (Post 24602564)
"Gazoo Racing". Really? Hard to take a name like that seriously. Was TRD not up to the task any longer?.

"GR" or "Gazoo Racing" are infinitely better than "T(u)RD"! Honestly I'd never drive anything with "TRD" plastered all over it. GR? Fine.

s2000Junky 05-17-2019 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan (Post 24602977)
"GR" or "Gazoo Racing" are infinitely better than "T(u)RD"! Honestly I'd never drive anything with "TRD" plastered all over it. GR? Fine.

You sound pretty serious, you on the Gazoo racing team? :LOL:

ZDan 05-18-2019 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky (Post 24603018)
You sound pretty serious, you on the Gazoo racing team? :LOL:

???
not at all, I've just always been dumbfounded by Toyota's eagerness to plaster an acronym that's pronounced "turd" onto its cars and trucks! WTH...
I know next to nothing about Gazoo Racing or GR and honestly don't see why a car that already has a name needs these added to it. But hell, they're better than "TRD"!

Saki GT 05-18-2019 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy (Post 24602509)
Too expensive, too AT, too BMW...

Basically..

The only car i'd move on to is a Boxster.

dmc79 05-18-2019 09:19 AM

I would not replace my S, looks better as a daily car (auto but still has serious performance and modern tech).

sam_spider 05-21-2019 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24602932)
The expectations were too high for the Supra name, if it was called a Toyota IR350i people would think it was a great new car.

When I heard that the Supra was coming back I was a bit worried as a Honda fan. I thoroughly expected it to be a NSX killer -priced accordingly of course. It did not get built that way though.

As a sports car I like it, and I like the auto transmission that can shift faster than me, the autos also work great with turbos. No complaints from me overall. GM has the world convinced that building cars is dumb, so good to see Toyota proving them wrong.

Why were expectations high? The Supra was never a super car, it was a GT car always, hell it started as a higher trim level Celica.

I'll definitely check them out once they're available.

white98ls 05-21-2019 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT (Post 24603090)
Basically..

The only car i'd move on to is a Boxster.

Funny you mention that... just got my C&D print mag yesterday and they compared base 4-cyl Z4 vs. base Boxster. In short, same BMW complaints (less engagement, overweight at ~350lbs more despite going back to a ragtop, auto-only) and I don't need to tell you which car won.