Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

330i (Auto) versus the IS350

Old 01-27-2006, 05:46 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 330i (Auto) versus the IS350

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=109021

Nice comparision of two of the cars s2ki'ers hold in high regard.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:10 AM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

I'd have to drive both, but I imagine finding a way to defeat the electronic nanny's in the IS350 and potentially have to deal with reliability issues with the BMW would steer me to the IS350 overall.

I'm sure the BMW is a blast to drive, it's the benchmark, but Lexus reliability, quality, customer service, and it's better powertrain all makes a strong statement.

If the IS350 could defeat the electronic controls (I'm sure people have already figured out a way) and had a six-speed manual, it would be a no brainer.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lack of manual transmission in the IS350, and what I personally felt as firmer, crisper handling pushed me to the BMW.

With nearly 10,000 miles on the clock, I have not had one problem/rattle/anything. I'll admit that BMW reliability had me on the fence about it. I've had nothing but Honda/Toyota/Lexus for a while, but I've been pleasantly surprised. I usually have a couple small rattles, etc with those past cars, but nothing yet with the 330i. Free maintenance is also a nice perk, even if it is on their schedule.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:24 AM

I have to agree with Edmunds - a couple of tenths of acceleration advantage is not as important as better handling. As to the reliability comparisons, it depends on the buyer's judgement.

Another factor for me is that the BMW dealer is handier to my location, and that I can haggle prices among three regional dealers. Both regional Lexus dealers are owned by Autoway, so haggling is less possible.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:49 AM

i'm thankful i dont have to choose between those 2 cars right now. I have no clue which one I'd purchase. If the 3 had 30 more hp it would be a no-brainer IMO
Old 01-27-2006, 09:55 AM

There is a lot of problems with IS350 reviews right now. There hasn
Old 01-27-2006, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the most balanced comparisons I read yet. My recent choice was down to just these two cars and I picked the 330i (e90). The IS350 wins the luxury end of the match, IMO, but I wanted more handling than the Lexus had to offer. The IS feels like old Detroit iron (or a tuna boat) going around turns/braking/accelerating, uncontrolled wallow and rocking.

What goober buys the BMW Active Steering option? They were not too down on it but the whole point of the BMW is to feel connected to the road without harshness. My Sport-option suspension is almost perfect at that balance. Rough roads bring it right to the edge of my tolerance for a daily driver but, so far, not past it. I expected to hate the run-flats but this combination works in the e90. The best word to describe the e90's handling is "controlled."

I tell people who complain about the BMW's stiff steering or Sport suspension's tightness that they should be shopping Lexus or MBZ for a proper luxury barge.

The I6 is smoother than I expected. I've always liked the roar of an I6, somewhat unique but I can only hear it in the upper RPM's. I am undecided on whether or not to open up the exhaust (the whole package is balanced and classy as-is). There's enough high tech in the engine to scare me (what, no butterfly thottle?!) and everyone wants more HP but this car has enough to entertain.

I'll be very interested in the next M3 if they come out with a double-clutch SMG (like Audi's).
Old 01-27-2006, 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=Penforhire,Jan 27 2006, 11:03 AM] One of the most balanced comparisons I read yet.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:15 AM

Very balanced review. Both are incredibly competent cars and it's fantastic that there is so much competition in the sports sedan class.

I would take the beemer...
Old 01-27-2006, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=y2ks2k,Jan 27 2006, 02:03 PM]
I disagree.. Its not balanced at all. Some of your comments are ridiculous. Have you been in one yet? I doubt it since it takes a month+ to just see one in a showroom and there are no test drives. Body roll? Wallowing? Rocking? I think you are a bit biased.

Edmonds noted that they did not know how to turn of traction control on the IS350. This would have massively effected performance track driving period.

Edmonds is also driving in a IS350 with Luxo package.. it is not a IS350 sports package.

I haven

Quick Reply: 330i (Auto) versus the IS350