Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

370Z vs. Cayman S

Old 12-15-2008, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 370Z vs. Cayman S

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/versu..._Cayman_S.shtml
Old 12-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Banned

Sums it up:

The 370Z doesn't carry the Porsche's swagger or the social status that comes with owning a sports car bearing the crest, but the two cars are near equals in practically every category. Since its inception, the Cayman has been regarded as one of the most balanced sports car platforms ever designed, and for Nissan to nip so close at that car's butt for half the price ($60,200 for a Cayman S, and about $33,000 for a 370Z with the sport package, which includes the bigger brakes, a limited-slip diff, bigger wheels, SyncroRev, and an aero kit) is quite a statement.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:35 PM

This is the same thing as the M Coupe vs Cayman S; it's just that the 370Z is cheaper than the M Coupe. (although the M Coupe could be had for under 40K brand new)
Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

They should've compared to the regular Cayman.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

GO NISSAN!!!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow_S,Dec 15 2008, 10:57 PM
They should've compared to the regular Cayman.
The fact that the 370z is that close and near equal to the Cayman S for half the price speak loud enough. So you won't have people saying "yeah the 370z is close but won't be if it was put up against the Cayman S".

Anyone else notice that the material on the interior of the new Z isn't something to brag about, but the layout and design is what make it look very nice and classy for the price. Another member here made the same point about the z06 interior. He said it's not that the interior material is cheap, but rather the design, layout and concept is what make it look so poor in quality and material.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luckyaze,Dec 16 2008, 12:22 AM
Anyone else notice that the material on the interior of the new Z isn't something to brag about,
How can you notice the material if you haven't seen it? Someone (Switchcars) said he had driven the Z and also said the material was like much, much better than the previous one. But we wouldn't have to wait much longer, it's coming to a dealer near you.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:39 AM

^^^Two things. I had seen one at the auto show and the picture is pretty close to what it really is IMO. I also don't appreciate you partial quoting me to make your point because that is deceiving.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hard for me to provide an unbiased perspective, but here's my take: the 370Z is a great value, and should merit consideration for Cayman shoppers other than certified Porsche loyalists.

That said, the Porsche has many advantages, not all of which were adequately covered in the review:
- luggage space, the Porsche has lots more w/ another trunk up front
- styling - IMO, the Porsche has a timeless look, while the 370 already looks a bit awkward and will look more dated after the next gen is released
- reliability/quality - check out JD Power rankings, that says it all
- steering feel - the Cayman's is sublime, bested IMO only by the Elise/Exige
- sound - as was mentioned, it's great inside the cabin

I disagreed w/ the reviewer about comfort, as I've found it comfy over a cross-country trip. Given that they tested an '08, I wonder about the condition of the tires, as I've found mine has gotten a good bit louder as the tires wear.

If I were spending my own money on a NEW sports car, I expect the 370Z would get the nod, but I'd prob. pay up a bit for a good used Cayman S.

That's irrelevant, though, since anything that eventually replaces the CS will have 4 seats so my 2 month old son can come along on drives.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems interesting and fair. Porsches will never fare well in a features-per-dollar comparison with more mainstream marques, but unlike the 350Z (which Nissan declared targeted the Boxster S), the 370Z seems to be a match for the Cayman S in all objective measures. As both Chris S and the article mention, the Cayman still holds an advantage in some subjective measures -- whether they're worth the extra money is a very individual decision.

Quick Reply: 370Z vs. Cayman S