S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Alternatives to another S2000? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/alternatives-another-s2000-1179974/)

lookstoomuch 12-01-2017 07:13 PM

How about a C5? Never owned one but that's on my short list of post s2000 cars. Would be different enough but still decent handling.

You'd have to look at the awful GM interior.

hecash 12-02-2017 01:27 AM

For the uses that you described, consider,
https://cars.oodle.com/mercedes_benz...bs=1&r=country

Jah2000 12-02-2017 01:05 PM

I love the S2k... but it is only a matter of time when mine becomes very old/high-miled, or crashed, or stolen. And, when either of those happen, it is only a matter of time when the S2k becomes too hard to find at a fair price and appreciates to ridiculous prices (like the Supra, FD RX7, etc.)...it will become unattainable sooner or later.

So, I always think to myself, "what is the closest/most-similar car to it, for when/if I lose my beloved S2k and also S2k's become just too rare/expensive to purchase again?"

I think my answer is Miata ND. Those will never become super rare (to find in good condition) nor too expensive.

Of course, Caymans/Boxters, Z Roadsters, Lotus, etc. are all awesome cars and maybe more similar to an S2k (if not, more better actually). But, honestly, those are much much more expensive (to both buy and maintain) and aren't nearly as reliable and simple as a Japanese car (Miata).

rpg51 12-02-2017 01:19 PM

Yea, well, I'm 66. I figure I can drive a good s2k until I'm done. All I have to do is find a second low mileage s2k now and store it. When I retire at around 71 or 72 I'll sell one of them. I don't find any of the alternatives all that interesting.

DanielB 12-02-2017 02:24 PM

One more thing to consider with NB Miatas is that when you add a turbo, you will likely be chasing cooling issues forever if you track it. I have several track friends with various turbo approaches and none of them can run 20 min hard without water and/or oil temp issues. Probably not an issue if you only drive on the street.

A stock MSM Miata is not on the same plane in terms of performance to an S2000, although still a lot of fun. All of the other chassis issues mentioned above can be addressed - there is a larger aftermarket for the Miata and prices for equivalent stuff are usually cheaper.

Lastly, make sure you fit in it - there's less headroom than an S2000 - although you can do what they call a "radical foamectomy" to remove seat bottom padding and it's actually still quite comfortable.

I think an ND Miata makes the most sense - perhaps find a leased one turned in early to avoid some of the depreciation? Upgrade the anti-roll bars and you have a nice combination of handling and reasonable street manners and about 400 lbs less weight than an S2000.

All that said, when my friends and I trade cars at the track, everyone comes back grinning after the S2000 - it's about the same speed as my friend's MSM with Little Enchilada kit but the personalities are so different - the S2000 steering is noticeably sharper and the engine is just more exciting, even if in the end it's not necessarily faster. The Miatas are well sorted and the chassis are more forgiving. And the motors are strong - just not as exciting as the S2000.

Strike 12-02-2017 02:27 PM

Something to consider regarding torque on the S2K is replacing the rear end gears. I have 4.57's in my AP1 and it's a bit snappier than stock. The lack of torque was never that big a deal to me but it helped on the track.

GT350RS 12-02-2017 04:54 PM

I also had an MSM, I had FM's intake, BOV, MBC, DP...I had a Borla axleback and a Bell FMIC...The car was a blast, and got a lot of attention. I would agree with most of what is said here other than the power delivery piece. That car had a lot more torque from what I remember.
Still, I chose the S2K this time around, and spent more than I would have for the Miata.

I also had a '15 Club (nc)...Fun car, good torque, great platform for modding. You can also get a power hard top option and they're not as prized by thieves as Honda's.

DefSport 12-02-2017 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by DanielB (Post 24391134)
One more thing to consider with NB Miatas is that when you add a turbo, you will likely be chasing cooling issues forever if you track it. I have several track friends with various turbo approaches and none of them can run 20 min hard without water and/or oil temp issues. Probably not an issue if you only drive on the street.

A stock MSM Miata is not on the same plane in terms of performance to an S2000, although still a lot of fun. All of the other chassis issues mentioned above can be addressed - there is a larger aftermarket for the Miata and prices for equivalent stuff are usually cheaper.

Lastly, make sure you fit in it - there's less headroom than an S2000 - although you can do what they call a "radical foamectomy" to remove seat bottom padding and it's actually still quite comfortable.

I think an ND Miata makes the most sense - perhaps find a leased one turned in early to avoid some of the depreciation? Upgrade the anti-roll bars and you have a nice combination of handling and reasonable street manners and about 400 lbs less weight than an S2000.

All that said, when my friends and I trade cars at the track, everyone comes back grinning after the S2000 - it's about the same speed as my friend's MSM with Little Enchilada kit but the personalities are so different - the S2000 steering is noticeably sharper and the engine is just more exciting, even if in the end it's not necessarily faster. The Miatas are well sorted and the chassis are more forgiving. And the motors are strong - just not as exciting as the S2000.

An S2000 feels absolutely great on track, like it gets into its groove and realizes that's it's proper home. On the street it's a bit buzzy and lacks torque, but on the track it all just makes sense when you stay on the high cam.

Unfortunately I only had mine for about 8 months :(... Still kinda have the S2000 itch...

VilleS2K 12-04-2017 05:31 AM

"Being seen in a Miata." Really? Who the heck cares what other people think?

Also, having experienced a few cars on your list, I think another S2000 is your best option. There's not a more engaging, rewarding sports car for the price... not even close. Maybe one with higher mileage that's been worn in a bit, which is still an awesome car.

lane_viper 12-04-2017 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch (Post 24390978)
How about a C5? Never owned one but that's on my short list of post s2000 cars. Would be different enough but still decent handling.

You'd have to look at the awful GM interior.

I'm biased, but I agree here. Great deals out there for C5's, some less than $10k. Expect to pay a little more for a Z06.

No other place on the planet to get 350-400HP for $10K or less. Yes the interior is awful but you get used to it. Lots of color leather trim items you can do to jazz it up.

My Z has 111K miles and is the daily driver. Only major item was the transmission, which I rebuilt myself, for about $1k. Other than that, it's been solid. C5's aren't without their annoyances however, but you can't beat their performance at the price.