S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Alternatives to another S2000? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/alternatives-another-s2000-1179974/)

GT350RS 12-05-2017 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect (Post 24392248)
Can't disagree with you in that it's fun to drive, but in terms of finding excuses to just go look at it I dunno. Like if you go over to a friends place, they won't ask to go outside to see it. Not that any of this should matter but at least the s has some level of panache.

Like in the RS thread I think that's all subjective. When I would go cruising with the Miata clubs it's a total 180 from this as you could imagine....But that's to be expected, right?

My car was a simple 2004 in Velocity Red. The Bell FMIC was polished (sort of) and filled up the lower grille. The FM kit blinged out the motor..I had tinted tails and side markers. Other than that....all stock. I got awards for that thing, had girls taking pics next to it at car shows, got asked about it almost every time I drove it...I used to think that way about Miatas....like most...maybe it was a little too feminine or whatever...all BS in the end. I loved that car but honestly the reactions like that surprised me every time. Honestly I was a stone's throw away from having another one sitting where the S2K sits now...but I wanted to own one to try something different...The inverse of this very subject I suppose...

Not many people say anything much about my S2K....And that's ok (I think the S has a timeless look too, btw)...those that know, sure...theyll say "clean car" or something like that...but the reactions were just different....Could definitely be the timing...I bought that car brand new and the Honda is out of production now, the ND Miata is a pretty good looking car nowadays too...

CosmosMpower 12-06-2017 08:07 AM

I'd go Boxster hands down, all others are a downgrade. ND Miata would be fun with some bolt ons.

lane_viper 12-06-2017 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jah2000 (Post 24391786)
Exactly! It is appreciating (just like the Supra, RX7 FD and NSX are).... to the point we won't be able to get a good, clean one, at a fair price in 5-10+ years.

Don't get me wrong... I love love my S2k and want to keep it forever.

My point is... what will you do IF/WHEN you finally lose your S2k (crashed, stolen, etc.) and it's also 10-20 years from now? I really doubt you will pay $30-60k for an S2k.

Appreciating is not always good thing. Idk why people here are always so happy that S2k values are quickly appreciating (too quick imo, prolly from the hype train)...smh. All it means is that you will never own one again in 10+ years.

I agree with you here, I love mine, and want to keep it forever, but I'm realizing the truth. If it does go, for whatever reason, I wouldn't replace it with another. Too many other rides out there I want to try.

As long as I have it though, I'll keep it.

honda606 12-06-2017 09:08 AM

You can actually find a used 2016 ND Miata for close to $15k if you're considering stretching your budget a bit. The ND motor is the best they've ever put in a Miata and has very impressive low end torque.

I can never go back to another S2000. Far too spoiled by the light weight of the Miata. 500+ lbs is no joke.

white98ls 12-06-2017 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by honda606 (Post 24392792)
You can actually find a used 2016 ND Miata for close to $15k if you're considering stretching your budget a bit.

I did a search and there are no manual ND Miatas under $20k within 300 miles of me, so I don't think that's a typical deal. Besides, I'm allergic to depreciation and the fact that NCs are going for $10k makes me not want one. I don't want to lose $5-10k in depreciation on an ND when I made money on my S2k after daily driving and tracking it for 3.5 years.

JonBoy 12-07-2017 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by honda606 (Post 24392792)
You can actually find a used 2016 ND Miata for close to $15k if you're considering stretching your budget a bit. The ND motor is the best they've ever put in a Miata and has very impressive low end torque.

I can never go back to another S2000. Far too spoiled by the light weight of the Miata. 500+ lbs is no joke.

Really? I have one close by in Washington for $16K and it has a rebuilt title. Everything else is $20K+.

I'd buy an ND Miata for $15K and never look back, if I could find one close by - perfect car for my kind of commute. That's a heck of a deal. Up here in Canada, the cheapest one I've seen is $30K CAD (about $22.5K USD) and most are $35K+ ($25K USD, give or take)...

honda606 12-07-2017 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by white98ls (Post 24392844)
I did a search and there are no manual ND Miatas under $20k within 300 miles of me, so I don't think that's a typical deal. Besides, I'm allergic to depreciation and the fact that NCs are going for $10k makes me not want one. I don't want to lose $5-10k in depreciation on an ND when I made money on my S2k after daily driving and tracking it for 3.5 years.

At this point used models may be far and few between but the dealers are discounting the left over new 2016 models drastically.

There's chat in the pricing thread on the Miata forum of people buying brand new left over Sport models for as low as $18k, Clubs for $21-23k and GTs for $25k. They're heavily discounted at the moment with multiple incentives.

Anualmix 12-07-2017 10:06 AM

Get another S2000 :P

cdelena 12-07-2017 12:38 PM

I have an associate that has made open offer to buy my S2000 so every once in awhile I check out what is available. The only thing that really attracts me is the Boxster S but the price and the need for a relationship with a Porsche dealer stops me. I have had my S2000 for over 18 years now and am hesitant to change.

Elistan 12-07-2017 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena (Post 24393309)
I have had my S2000 for over 18 years now and am hesitant to change.

Same, Chris. The Porsches seem intriguing, but the additional cost isn't justified by the amount of improvement over the S. The only other cars I'd really want are ones I cannot afford. Except for the time and effort involved, I'd say the ideal S2000 replacement is to take the money that would be used to acquire the replacement and simply recondition the S2000.