S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   BMW losing its identity? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/bmw-losing-its-identity-517034/)

Penforhire 08-16-2007 07:34 AM

It depends on how you identify with BMW. These days I think of them as the premier sport-luxury blend. And they ride that edge better than anyone else in their price range.

Jacques79 08-16-2007 07:35 AM

Lightweight cars don't sell in the luxury department. Gizmo-laden super comfy cars with 1000HP and 1000 airbags sell!

sparrow 08-16-2007 07:39 AM

I agree with both of you but they absolutely need a better shifter and steering feel, when that happens i may buy one

Iceman1 08-16-2007 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by CKit,Aug 15 2007, 10:51 PM
Seeing how the competition actually costs more, maybe the BMW will be the "bargain" bastard stepchild... as in, "I wanted the C63, but all I could afford was the BMW..."

:LOL:

your just enjoying this thread arent u... :p

neways, to the original poster, every M3 review ive read so far has had the MDrive option... this option adds the active steering... this was criticized as loosing steering feel ever since it was announced. so if you buy an M3, dont buy the MDrive... this will give you the old M3 steering...

and to some of you who feel BMW lost their way... maybe its you guys who lost your understanding of what BMW is today... i'm pretty happy with where they are... last thing i want is a 2900 lbs pile of metal to call my luxury GT car... all cars have gotten heavier... cars are safer and more luxurious today... if you want a sports car... buy a sports car...

omg516 08-16-2007 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by sparrow,Aug 16 2007, 09:39 AM
I agree with both of you but they absolutely need a better shifter and steering feel, when that happens i may buy one

You surely cannot be referring to the m3. If you think the s2k has better steering feel than an e46, e36 or e30 m3 then you should quit arguing right now because you lost all credibility with that comment. I personally found the s2k's electric steering rack quick and smooth but relatively numb. Sure the gearbox isn't up to s2k standards but what car is?

Carbon Blue 08-16-2007 08:10 AM

not only that the new BMW 5 series scored the worst on side impact crashes, with the Kia amante beating it by a huge margin.

sparrow 08-16-2007 08:41 AM

i said i drove the 330i, never an M but maybe i should go try one and I'll get back to you

Onehots2k 08-16-2007 10:04 AM

WTF, is going on here. Losing what Idendity. They score the highest in the majority of the rags there featured in. Not b/c they have the best value or quality, or whatever. Because those guys with the test equipment LIKE the drive the majority of the time. So go somewhere with this bs. Maybe their losing their identity to you. But, IMO its just as strong to me since I drove my first BMW. Gimme a break. I never drove an E30, so I guess I dont miss anything I never had.

ZDan 08-16-2007 11:20 AM

BMW is one of the best car companies out there.

But their IDENTITY *used* to be smallish somewhat lightweight minimalist sports sedans.

Now they've sorta replaced Buck and Oldsmobile (only partially kidding here).

I do look forward to the new 1-series, because it's closer (still a little big and heavy, for ME) to what the 3-series should be.

It's just a shame they don't have the cojones to build a really lightweight NVH-be-damned modern 2002tii (and 300hp tii turbo!).

The 1- 3- and 5-series are just too close to each other imo, and definitely too "evolved" (read: big and heavy).

If the only identity for BMW you've known is for 3200 lb. + luxury sedans, then yeah, that identity hasn't changed much in the past 15yrs or so.

The 2002tii was truly special way back when (not that I was driving then, but I was alive).
Nowadays, a BMW is merely a very good rwd/irs car, same size and weight as yer average 4-wheeled behemoth.

Which is fine for most.

But some of us (exceedingly few, apparently) want something more simple/basic/elemental.

Saki GT 08-16-2007 11:29 AM

Personally, I think BMW decided to chase Audi and M-B in the luxo and tech departments - it used to be very sport oriented, but now thats getting diluted with luxury and technology. Its not a bad mix, but its not what people with long-standing BMW experience would call pure blood BMW anymore.