Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW losing its identity?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW losing its identity?

Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but it seems in the last few weeks we've seen a lot of things happening in the world of "steering". Off the top of my head:

-BMW is famous for steering feel...and the M3, "the" BMW to own, has met w/ weak reviews of the steering on the e92 M3

-2008 C6 receives rave reviews about the steering (gasp), with some direct comparisons to Porsche. You know it is a matter of time until the CTS-V inherits the steering of the vette, too.

-C63 AMG is the first AMG designed from the ground up to kick some ass (instead of being a regular old merc w/ bolt on mods) - initial drives say the steering is phenomenal and the performance just sickening

These are not to mention that several reviewers have chosen the RS4 in comparison tests already...and the M3's looks are nothing if not polarizing---but that isn't steering related and I digress...

Anyways, it just sounds as if the other cars companies have finally prioritized the driving experience and put the emphasis on feel instead of just pure speed...where does that leave BMW? What will justify the premium you pay if all of their competitors soon have equivalent or better feel?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:23 PM

BMW is making money so it is doing what is making them money.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:25 PM

Don't think it is as much there losing there identity, as everyone has to copy what they have done and try to improve on there model.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't think its losing it identity, but I think its getting a little too gizmo friendly.

I don't like the current mismatched styling design, I don't like iDrive, I don't like active steering, and I don't like the now deceased SMG. Mainly, I think the cars are ugly and there are good alternatives out there for the money. I've owned BMWs in the past and I loved the chassis, the way they drove, the lighting, and the fact they are well-built rwd machines. I still think they are good cars, but I miss how they used to be, but thats just me.

You can't argue with the fact that the "new generation" Bangle-ish cars are selling very well and BMW is growing, but I guess there's no accounting for taste.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

some people are going to buy it regardless, if its brand loyalty, they had a 2 previous M3's, or because its just a car that they want to have.

Some people will read the reviews and take that into account and won't buy it because just the "steering" feel is suppose to feel different. Without any knowledge of actually knowing what to feel for.

People like me who won't read garbage reviews of cars that tell me what to get and not will make up their own mind on the car. I mean look at the reviews for S2000's, awesome car, but lacks power. Who cares, I love the car and I got it. Same thing if I could afford something like the new M3, if I love it I'm going to buy it.

The M3 will do fine, maybe not what they are expecting, but in the long run with tuners and such it will do quite fine.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dombey,Aug 15 2007, 07:16 PM
What will justify the premium you pay if all of their competitors soon have equivalent or better feel?
Seeing how the competition actually costs more, maybe the BMW will be the "bargain" bastard stepchild... as in, "I wanted the C63, but all I could afford was the BMW..."

Old 08-16-2007, 02:56 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

They lost it a long time ago.

Used to make reasonably small, lightweight, fun sports sedans, ~1000lb. less than typical 3600 lb. domestics.

Now they make big, heavy sports sedans, weight = same as domestic pigs are now and were then (~3600 lb.).

As for steering feel, I've driven a number of E36 M3's at the track, and none of them had anything like the steering feel of my old S13 240SX (best power assisted steering I've ever experienced). To say NOTHING of my 240Z

They did have better steering feel than most, though.

BMW and Porsche have indeed strayed a long way from the formula of lightness and simplicity. A pity so few appreciate those qualities today...
Old 08-16-2007, 04:21 AM

BMW lost its identity with the intro of the E36.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:55 AM

I don't think they're losing their identity...I believe they're being forced to change it to keep up with the competition and they are a little lost at the moment. BMW built it's name and heritage starting with the 2002 and then became known for having the best inline 6 on the planet. I'm probably one of the few not in favor of them upping the displacement on everything to keep with the likes of Mercedes and others. My M3 is the last M3 to be powered by the inline 6 and it's close to perfect IMO. I have upped the power significantly (40+RWHP) and dropped weight to around 3,100 lbs. I believe that's the direction BMW should have gone with new M3 but they didn't. I have no interest in the upcoming M3 at all and I will NEVER sell my E46 M3.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:16 AM

The E92 330i I drove was pretty blah as a driver's car- it was very isolated, comfy but numb. Of course that's compared to my S2000, but still it was more like the "Ultimate Commuter Machine" than a driving machine.

Their driving formula seems to now be "let the computers sort it out" rather than demanding driver fineness. I can't fault them there, that's what people want, an edgy driver's car is definitely a very small niche and trying to appeal to that alone will get you be bought out by VW pretty quick.

Still, all the whining about the M3 is annoying. Because by this time next year you are all going to love them. Except for the people that rushed out and bought 335 coupes that is... LOL.

Quick Reply: BMW losing its identity?