Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Driver killed while using Tesla Autopilot

Old 07-02-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It's really sad the loss of life. On the flip side it's pretty amazing that in the last 5 years we've gone from theory to practice and only 1 death. The tech is amazing. It'll get better and soon the average person won't know how to drive.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
It's really sad the loss of life. On the flip side it's pretty amazing that in the last 5 years we've gone from theory to practice and only 1 death. The tech is amazing. It'll get better and soon the average person won't know how to drive.
The average person already doesn't know how to drive...
Old 07-02-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Rumour is, the driver was watching a movie when the accident occurred.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/te...pr=20553875903

I guess he was watching the main feature when he should have been watching the trailer.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:02 AM

That is the problem with Tesla and Musk.

AP1.0 is not ready for autonomous driving, that is why Tesla fans are waiting for AP2.0 to make it work.

And they should not have called it AP. Should call it as some sort of cruise control. Like a "Smart CC".... instead, Tesla wants to show off and called it AP... beta test. You think people care if it is beta test if you let them have it?
Old 07-03-2016, 06:10 AM

Received 1,117 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy

I guess he was watching the main feature when he should have been watching the trailer.
I saw what you did there.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy

Cruel, but funny.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

although the autopilot technology needs more work, i trust it more that i trust most drivers. i'm sure it's statistically safer than humans already and in the future will be vastly superior. the top three causes of traffic accidents are distracted driving(texting, eating, screwing with the radio), speeding, and drunk driving. all of these plus a whole other list of human errors would be eliminated. i'm sure you've all seen it too, but i passed a woman on the freeway the other day who was steering with her knee and texting with both hands while she looked down at her phone.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

He was watching a Harry Potter DVD. Tesla's system, you are supposed to have your hands on the wheel and paying attention. Stupid driver, and nothing to do with the car or software system cruise control. No computer is 100% infallible.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:46 PM

Received 3,470 Likes on 2,495 Posts

The real problem is that the driver should still be aware of their surroundings and they should be viewing the road and be ready to react, that is what Tesla tells them. There are going to be tons of idiots out there who think they can go in the rear seat and have a nap while driving.

Don't ever put your life in total control of a system that is engineered by humans, somewhere down the line there is going to be one person who did not do their job properly or did not think of every possibility.

Lastly, I see lots of roads that are temporarily altered while under construction and the road markings are not always proper, there will be some instances where lanes can't be identified, including inclement weather conditions. I see a lot of people getting into trouble with this because they won't remain attentive in their vehicles.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:52 AM

What good is the auto pilot if you still need to be focused on the road/surroundings? If you still need your hands ons the wheel and focus on the road you can just aswell drive it yourself.

If every car is going to be supplied with auto pilot it's a great thing especially with all the stupid people who can't drive (or keep texting while driving etc.)

Quick Reply: Driver killed while using Tesla Autopilot