Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ls430

Old 01-29-2003, 06:58 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ls430

I think the Lexus LS430 is a nice blend of luxury and performance while not cheap it is still a good value.

What direction should Lexus take with the LS in the future in regards to MB and BMW having 400+ HP luxury sedans?

A. Keep it the same just subtle improvements

B. More power LS 500 with 350 HP or more

C. Keep the LS 430 about the same but move up market with a bigger sedan in the $90K range (V12 400 HP).

any ideas?
Old 01-29-2003, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS430 is a good value. I guess Toyota needs to figure out if people that buy the MB and BMW would cross-shop the Lexus if available. It would need to be a little better handler than it is now. But overall the jump wouldn't be that big. From a maintenance standpoint, I'd rather have the Lexus, all else being equal.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it ain't broke, why fix it? After having driven the LS430 and the S500 on the track. I've found that the Lexus handles better and has enough oomph to hold it's own. No improvement needed.

Now if Lexus wants to go after the higher end S 55's, it would be best if they just make another version of the LS430 such as the LS 55 to compliment instead of replacing the LS430. Heck, it might be a good move if Lexus comes out with higher end versions of each model line. Ie; ES 350, ES 500, GS 430, GS 55, SC 430, SC 55, LS 430, LS 55 or LS 600.

Just my .02
Old 01-29-2003, 02:54 PM

A wonderful thread has this become.. Another good choice is the Q45.

Here's my $0.02:
S430/500/600/55 - If you're looking for something "sporty" the S430 is definitely not your car. It's a luxo boat (as in slow). If anything, the S55 (or the 600+ HP rumored S65) is what you're looking for. The AMG badged cars offer a 35% faster-shifting tranny, active suspension, active (leveling) seats, goobs of power (almost 500 horses and 500+ lbs/ft of torque), and of course the AMG badge. Reliability might be an issue, so can the quality of workmanship, as MB has been suffering recently in those departments (hasn't made top 15 in 2 years running). If you don't mind bringing the car back to the dealer for warranty work, go with the S55 / S65. The look is a bit aged, but still by FAR the best-looking luxury sedan on the market (especially now, with the clear headlight clusters). I would also suggest the CL55 (as it's one of my favorite rides right now) but you're probably not looking for a coupe.

Phaeton - umm, it's a VW. Also, can you pronounce the name? Enough said.

Audi A8 - something to consider - it's nice-looking, but very generic (and too conservative). It actually looks like a stretched version of the A4 / A6. I never liked Audi cars and probably never will.

LS430 - a "wanna be MB" to be honest with you. It's ultra quiet, boasts nice features, and rides like it's on air. WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much body roll during hard driving. It's not an enthusiast's car. It's an old man's car (and I mean in spirit, not in age). Provokes as much excitement as watching water drip from a faucet. Its looks are just as exciting..

745i - two words "iDrive" and "Bangle-butt." Well, I guess three. TONS of problems with the early models too - these cars spent more time in the shop than on the road. The interior is styled like a 70's Buick (what were they thinking?) Enough said.. NEXT.

DeVille - The only cool thing about it is the set of LED tail lights. Absolutely nothing else.

Q45 - good looks, great performance, plenty of features (some that others don't have at all, like 3-d NAV, rear-view camera), power, quality, reliability, and most importantly VALUE. "Sporty" enough, yet "luxurious" enough - a nice, balanced combination of the two. I suggest you drive one. Once you decide to get one, you'll bank the rest of the cash that you'd blow on the cars listed above. Or, buy yourself a Keuylian supercharger with the cash that you saved and match the performance of the S55 for about $50,000 less..

Every Q45 owner LOVES his ride, as I do mine..
Old 01-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Former Moderator

ahhh one day I gotta pick up one of those LS430's

For the simple reason that its more comfortable then my house, and no one gives it a second look..

That's what I look for in a car the I would consider merely transportation..

If I wan't to really drive, I take the S.

If I have to do 2 hours worth of work during my 1 hour commute to work, I want a car like the Lexus
Old 01-29-2003, 08:21 PM

The LS is a very nice 'luxury' vehicle. Nothing overboard other than the electronic features it has, the only I don't like is the plastic the use for the dash and trims.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:45 PM

One thing you have to realize is Lexus really made the German cars try harder. I have a German car, it's fast and stylish, but it does have bugs. I've been to the dealer more than a 1/2 a dozen times. I can see where people would want to switch. If Lexus comes out with a IS430 I'm off the euro car band wagon forever. As for the LS models, I love them. My gramps has a LS400, and it's great. He rarely uses it, he drive a 96 cavalier most days, but every once in a while he will take out the LS. Man the thing has quality written all over it. Much better build than my Benz and is much quieter. Sure the cars are in different classes, but we spent about the same amount of dough. I'm sure a few years from now I will be looking for a LS to fill my garage. I would like 50-75 more ponies =).

Sam
Old 01-29-2003, 09:19 PM

I read a Japanese magazine and they stated a Toyota Celcior (spelling?) or a JDM version of the Lexus LS will be getting a new 5.0 litre V8. Power is estimated to be around 360bhp. That would be cool if they ever gonna release it.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:46 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to have it with more power and also a sportier suspension. More like a 745iL without the BMW service (bad) and without the ugly but.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Speedracer
[B]The LS is a very nice 'luxury' vehicle.

Quick Reply: Ls430