Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

newbe question about gear

Old 04-12-2008, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default newbe question about gear

o.k. so i have been riding mrs. wanabe's bike while i am getting "back on the horse" after many years of not riding...

we both have padded leather jackets, and leather gloves and riding boots (over the ankle).

this morning we had our first really warm morning while riding... and noticed that leather jackets and boots seem too hot for summer riding-

so we were wondering what the safe solution for summer gear is (i keep seeing riders with t-shirts and shorts- not the solution that i am looking for!!)

what do you wear on your bike in the summer??
Old 04-12-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still wear perforated leathers. I'm fine with it. Another option that many do are textiles. Have you looked into them? They're not bad.

Check around newenough.com for the closeout section deals. Look into it and let us know what you decide.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy is happy with perforated leathers. Most of the time I'm okay in a regular Motoport textile suit (Ultra 2 Cordura). When it goes much over 100 degrees I have to switch to cheap Joe Rocket mesh gear (older generation Phoenix jacket & pants) and Tourmaster mesh gloves.

I'm still not so happy in serious heat. I pack a "personal mister" in my tankbag (a pump unit sold by Rider's Wearhouse but also $10 at Walmart) and that saves my @ss on intensely hot rides. I open up the valve when I can't stand the heat and I get a swamp cooling effect (does run through water fast). I also have a fabric insert for the top of my head that can be soaked in water (dries fast though, and makes my helmet tight) and a neck tie of those crystals that absorb and hold water (this helps a lot).
Old 04-13-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd look at perforated leather over textile. I just bought a Dianese Zen perforated jacket with a zip out liner at Cycle Gear - it was giving free back protectors with the jacket.

Some people say, if its too hot to wear leather, its too hot to ride.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when its really hot I just dont ride, I like to wear my leathers, and for me its just not worth it to ride in hot hot heat !!
Old 04-13-2008, 11:24 PM

wanabe since I care about you and your wife's well being, I can't suggest anything other than pref. leather regardless of the time of year.

I've been riding year round in TX for about 5 years and only last season did I get a pref. jacket. Pref pants are cooler than jeans, on that one you have no excuse. Most gloves let some air in and shouldn't be an issue, it's usually just the upper body core that causes issues.

You do need to have some level of comfort in order to stay focused while riding. Try some under armour [not cotton] and a pref leather jacket, I think you'll be fine as long as you don't spend too much time in stop and go traffic nor ride a 1000cc+ super sport that runs extremely hot.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a perforated 1pc leather suit and with Under Armor under it it's very cool at speed. Without the Under Armor to help wick away the moisture, it'd be quite warm. Also, without the wind flow it'd be uncomfortable. For daily riding, I go with a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and Dainese Drake Air pants.

My boots aren't set up for any venting, so the feet do get hot.

And this past weekend I picked up some vented gloves, but haven't used them yet.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:04 AM

its never too hot to get road rash!!! wear leathers!!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wanabe,Apr 12 2008, 09:19 AM
o.k. so i have been riding mrs. wanabe's bike while i am getting "back on the horse" after many years of not riding...

we both have padded leather jackets, and leather gloves and riding boots (over the ankle).

this morning we had our first really warm morning while riding... and noticed that leather jackets and boots seem too hot for summer riding-

so we were wondering what the safe solution for summer gear is (i keep seeing riders with t-shirts and shorts- not the solution that i am looking for!!)

what do you wear on your bike in the summer??
Full leathers, 365.

I wore textiles for one season and I just didn't like them compared to leather.

When you say you have padded leather, does it not have a zip in/out liner?

My current set has removable liners but I'm about to trash them and go for a different set, the $300 bargain rack leathers just aren't cutting it for me with zippers falling off and crap. If you're going to go with leather, you may want to look into kangaroo instead of cow.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 PM
jah

it depends on how hot it is, before you buy two of everything see if the wife has the same enthusiasm you have mid summer and 100 deg temperatures.

anyways... consider a safety jacket and a flannel shirt, there are several manufacturers of these, a linky to dainese, but i think bhon makes one, maybe others to:
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Daines...ource=cleverset

maybe a cloth mesh jacket:
lots of people use these. i put hard plastic inserts in mine, wear a back protector and call it done but you can argue if they have enough protection.

i think leather, no matter how many holes they put in it is too hot, at least for the 100 deg summer temperatures. whatever, at least some options

dainese also makes a summer pants, fits under the jeans. its a cloth mesh with plastic inserts. dont know if these are still available.

Quick Reply: newbe question about gear