Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Possibly Trading in the car to get a S2k

Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly Trading in the car to get a S2k

Alright so I have a 2010 Cobalt SS. Pretty much brand new, but having to many damn problems with the car. Well I found a 2003 Black S2000 at a dealer for 13.4k with only 32k miles. I find this to be a complete steal. Some people call me stupid for getting rid of my car cause it seems like a big downgrade. Just tired of maintaining a turbo car! Haven't been able to look at the car, the used GMC dealership said it was getting re painted cause it was fading. Sounds sketchy but was told it has a clean carfax.

I'm curious if there was certain things I should look for in the car problem wise or down the road. Especially if there isn't much warranty left on it. Don't know to much about the cars so any input would be excellent.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:13 PM

Definite upgrade, you'll enjoy every minute.

Here's a link to the "common problem" sticky. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/681...ons-1999-2009/
Old 07-25-2012, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tarpey
Alright so I have a 2010 Cobalt SS. Pretty much brand new, but having to many damn problems with the car. Well I found a 2003 Black S2000 at a dealer for 13.4k with only 32k miles. I find this to be a complete steal. Some people call me stupid for getting rid of my car cause it seems like a big downgrade. Just tired of maintaining a turbo car! Haven't been able to look at the car, the used GMC dealership said it was getting re painted cause it was fading. Sounds sketchy but was told it has a clean carfax.

I'm curious if there was certain things I should look for in the car problem wise or down the road. Especially if there isn't much warranty left on it. Don't know to much about the cars so any input would be excellent.

Thanks guys!

I don't see that as a downgrade and it's not because I have an S2000. They both have pros and cons.

I think people more than ever judge cars based only on how fast it is. If this is the only criteria, then yes it's a downgrade but in the big picture I don't see it.

GL, that is a good deal if the top is in good condition, it wasn't in an accident, and otherwise is a clean car.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even the turbo Cobalts didn't do much better than low 14s in the 1/4, right? S2000s can also do that if you don't care about the fate of your differential. And every other category (aside from ability to transport >2 people) the S2000 wins hands down. You'll also be going from FWD to RWD; I won't even bother with listing the advantages the latter has over the former since you probably already know.

Good luck with your choice. And remember, you don't have to buy that very car. You can hold out for a better example if anything seems "off" to you.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:06 PM

Yeah, I'm not really to concerned about speed anymore. With the cobalt I made 320/396 on the Dyno. Tired of wasting money in performance crap. I been wanting a RWD car for some time now! I want to just get a Hardtop and call it a day!

Just praying this car is almost flawless!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:09 AM

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts

Since when to dealerships repaint cars? Why would a car with only 32k mi need to be repainted? That's the only thing I'd be wary of.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Saki GT said, but if it the records are all accurate and the title is clean, that is a very good price. I would just be sure to have it thoroughly checked out, including the reason for the repaint. You may have just found a gem out there!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 500 Likes on 382 Posts

Thats dirt dirt cheap, but why does it need a repaint, s2ks dont have the greatest paint but to need in such rough condition that they couldt sell it for that price with that low miles, id rather see it before paint. Also, a quality paint job thats made to last beyond making a sale is not cheap, so you gotta wonder how much the dealer got it for, how much theyre putting into it, and how are they making the profit. A car with those specs around here in reasonable condition goes for 16+ and will be sold by the weekend, and dealers arent known to put their rock bottom price right off he bat.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:32 AM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I came from a cobalt SS/SC. I would never go back. If you are on cobaltss.net, you have probably seem my name thrown around there because I did alot of drag racing. Trust me, you will not regret the trade.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Go for it. You won't regret it!!

Quick Reply: Possibly Trading in the car to get a S2k