Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

$100k exotics

Old 08-19-2018, 08:05 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

NSX has pretty great visibility, especially for an exotic. It's still somewhat limited to the rear but it's miles better than a lot of cars. Really thin A-pillars help a lot as well.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
What is appealing to me about this car is that it is as useable as a car with its dimensions and intentions can be. Cars like ferraris and even the viper of you're being honest are a chore to drive, loud, uncomfortable, after thought amenities, etc whereas the nsx when just driving around can actually cruise.
My experience driving one is that other than the low nose (can't believe they didn't fit an "everyday supercar" with a nose lift option), it is incredibly easy to drive - no harder than a normal car, and the visibility is quite good. Most impressive was the ride due to the mag ride shocks - noticeably more comfortable than my stock M3 with the M3's dampers in Comfort, which to me isn't even bad.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I had a Porsche driving instructor in my Vantage and he wants to swap out his track 911 for a Vantage. He was so blown away and had no idea the Vantage was that full on sports car.
Having driven a manual V8 Vantage in the canyons, following a 997 C2S on some very sticky tires (while the Vantage was on meh tires), I gotta say I was insanely surprised at how competent the Aston was in the twisties. The car was very balanced and the front end was precise and you could tell what all four corners of the car were doing at all times. I was able to maintain speeds in the corners much better than I thought I could have. Honestly if I did not experience this first hand I probably wouldn't believe how well it behaves in the corners. The v8 exhaust note bouncing off of the canyon walls was just pure bliss. Honestly one of my favorite cars to drive in the canyons.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
forgot about this! I agree! only reason it was off my personal list was because my best friend has a Gen V that I borrow often lol. I love this car. I agree, under $100k it is my choice. It's like a s2000 on massive steroids.
The Gen V Viper is one of those cars I'm very afraid to test drive, due to descriptions like the above which I read in a lot of places. I love my C6 Z06 still but it's pretty numb in terms of driving experience. The Viper seems to be the logical upgrade (NA, giant torque, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, most likely way better driving dynamics [steering, chassis response, etc.]) for me. Ugh
Old 08-20-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I would not describe the driving experience of a C6Z as numb at all. What are you comparing it to?
Old 08-20-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

One car that is sub-100k but I really do enjoy driving is the 4C. It's like the steroid on the seat of your pants type of excitement after you drank 4 cups of coffee thrill. Granted I love my s2000's - the 4C is so high strung and sharp that the first time I drove it, I was pleasantly shocked at 2 things

a) How loud this car is for a 4-cylinder
b) How fast it pulls and amazingly kept up with my buddies GTR (same guy who owns the 4C)

I drove it roughly 50 miles last night and was trying to look for a quiet mode but there was none. This car makes more noise than the Huracan at throttle probably because of the wind noise from the soft top and also the exposed carbon tub chassis. It's super fast and besides a slight bit of lag in 5th or 6th, in any other gear the car just slingshots out at WOT! I had to pop the engine cover to confirm it really was a 4-cylinder motor. This car as with any Alfa or premium euro brand, depreciates quite a bit so at $70k+ new it's expensive but used ones seem to be a good value if you can find one with warranty left.

For over $100k+ cars, I've owned a few and the BEST ONE TO DATE is the 2017 NSX. There are few exotics you can just hop in and drive 20 hours cross country. The only other car I would consider doing it would be the R8 but this new NSX does everything well. I think Acura's major disadvantage is the brand snob factor. For most people who want to spend $150 to $200k, they want to be "seen" as a baller and thus the Mclaren and Lambo badges wear much better. I'm much older than many of the Youtube famous kids out there and for me, I want a sports car that is fast but also not punish you on daily drivers. I've racked up a few thousand on the new NSX and plan to drive this car a lot more than my past exotics. This car is just that good and you have to own it to understand. It turns heads equally but in a more appreciative manner unlike the Huracan which was more of an in-your face type.

here's a pic of my buddies 4C, really cool car and a nice alternative to the s2000. I think it's biggest drawbacks is: no manual tranny and expensive maintenance

Old 08-20-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
One car that is sub-100k but I really do enjoy driving is the 4C. It's like the steroid on the seat of your pants type of excitement after you drank 4 cups of coffee thrill. Granted I love my s2000's - the 4C is so high strung and sharp that the first time I drove it, I was pleasantly shocked at 2 things

b) How fast it pulls and amazingly kept up with my buddies GTR (same guy who owns the 4C)

I drove it roughly 50 miles last night and was trying to look for a quiet mode but there was none. This car makes more noise than the Huracan at throttle probably because of the wind noise from the soft top and also the exposed carbon tub chassis. It's super fast and besides a slight bit of lag in 5th or 6th, in any other gear the car just slingshots out at WOT! I had to pop the engine cover to confirm it really was a 4-cylinder motor. This car as with any Alfa or premium euro brand, depreciates quite a bit so at $70k+ new it's expensive but used ones seem to be a good value if you can find one with warranty left.

For over $100k+ cars, I've owned a few and the BEST ONE TO DATE is the 2017 NSX. There are few exotics you can just hop in and drive 20 hours cross country. The only other car I would consider doing it would be the R8 but this new NSX does everything well. I think Acura's major disadvantage is the brand snob factor. For most people who want to spend $150 to $200k, they want to be "seen" as a baller and thus the Mclaren and Lambo badges wear much better. I'm much older than many of the Youtube famous kids out there and for me, I want a sports car that is fast but also not punish you on daily drivers. I've racked up a few thousand on the new NSX and plan to drive this car a lot more than my past exotics. This car is just that good and you have to own it to understand. It turns heads equally but in a more appreciative manner unlike the Huracan which was more of an in-your face type.

here's a pic of my buddies 4C, really cool car and a nice alternative to the s2000. I think it's biggest drawbacks is: no manual tranny and expensive maintenance

Both sweet cars for sure, and a great, diverse combo! I want to try a 4C pretty bad.

I'm surprised that so many people with the means to buy a $200k+ car still care that much about a badge. Maybe I'd understand if it's your first Ferrari/Lambo/McLaren, but most of those guys have already owned several. When I got my E39 M5 at a young age, I felt like such a baller. But now that I'm the ripe old age of 34 (haha), I just don't really care about impressing anyone and would rather have a car that flies under the radar and only enthusiasts know it's anything other than average. If Hyundai made an identical car to mine, I'd be fine with it.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:24 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Both sweet cars for sure, and a great, diverse combo! I want to try a 4C pretty bad.
So high on my list. Just looks like a work of art. Plan to drive one this summer.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
My experience driving one is that other than the low nose (can't believe they didn't fit an "everyday supercar" with a nose lift option), it is incredibly easy to drive - no harder than a normal car, and the visibility is quite good. Most impressive was the ride due to the mag ride shocks - noticeably more comfortable than my stock M3 with the M3's dampers in Comfort, which to me isn't even bad.
Yeah the magna ride I had in the shelby transformed the car, it really is the future.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:26 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play

OT but thanks for the hardtop, wish I had your garage and stable.

Quick Reply: $100k exotics