Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The $36k Model 3, two week wait.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:15 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default The $36k Model 3, two week wait.

Now that the $36,000 model three is here, kind of a strippo, but has glass roof, 220 mile range, a two week wait, and 5.7 second claimed 0-60 is anybody interested?

I have to admit, I HATE the interior and I hate the fact if you want other than black it is a minimum of $1500 extra, but the price aint that bad for a fairly entertaining car even though extras are limited. I think it is kind of a steal now.

My brother's has nice leather and alcantara, plus some tech upgrades, but if you can take cloth seats and don't care about the tech (which I don't) it is a very attractive car for the money. Given that the interior on even an optioned up car is pretty minimalist, the base model buyer misses out on a lot less inside than the big dollar models.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:33 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

I'd do that partial premium package or whatever it's called for $2500, get a different color, and call it a day. With fed tax incentive/rebate, $31,500. For that car at that price, that's a steal. If I was in the market for a new car it'd be done today and I'd be ordering. I already have an EV for a DD however. Nissan will have to discount the Leaf now, and Chevy with the Bolt. Those 2 cars, well there is no way in hell I'd buy or lease either over the 3 now.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:35 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,910 Posts

The driving range makes it a non-starter for me as we'd essentially have a commute only car which just wouldn't work for us.

I've been in a few Tesla's as taxi's in Europe and they just don't interest me at all. When a car makes no engine noise you'd better make sure the car is quiet inside and makes no noises, I've yet to ride in one that didn't have squeaks, rattles, etc.

There's a lot of other cars I'd rather pay $35k for.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:37 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I just posted in the other thread that manufacturers keep saying that the younger generation arent buying cars yet they're flocking to the model 3.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:10 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

If I had a garage that I could charge it, I would buy it right away. It would save me a ton on gas.

Also would need a longer range. I make monthly trips that are 150-200 miles each way. Don’t want to deal with sitting on a supercharger just to be able to make it.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:21 AM

Received 3,376 Likes on 2,453 Posts

At this stage in my life I don't want to own an ugly car, even if it is a great car with lots of attractive features I don't want to drive one. Maybe a few years down the road I'd reconsider but not right now. The 3 model is not attractive inside or out.

Secondly,I don't know if it is just me but I don't trust much that Elon Musk has to sell. His marketing always seems so much better than the end finished product he provides. So yeah I'm questioning the quality control of that entire operation.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:34 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
I'd do that partial premium package or whatever it's called for $2500, get a different color, and call it a day. With fed tax incentive/rebate, $31,500..
They are in to the pahse out now. Max credit is only $3750 instead of the old $7500. Still not too bad of a deal.

But with it competing on price with something like the Hyundai Kona Electric or soon to be released Kia Soul Electric, the Koreans will get a more traditional interior with buttons and switches (which I prefer to the one big ugly touchscreen) longer range, and more usable cargo space, but the Model 3 will be quicker and more fun to drive. The way people are flocking to CUV's, I think the Korean cars will be more mainstream and the Model 3 will still get the cult members to buy.

I wish SOMEBODY would make a 200 mile plus two seat electric sports car for $40k with some decent scoot, and I'd get one to commute in. Probably no market for it. Tesla could probably do it now at that price to make a car similar to the original roadster, but never would. They need to get high margins if they are going to stay afloat.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:04 AM

Received 3,376 Likes on 2,453 Posts

^ in MN or Canada that 200 mile range can drop significantly , I have a fear of batteries that seem great one minute and the next minute they are rapidly approaching empty.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Not really interested in a Tesla. My first ev might be the Honda E or Sport E if it ever arrives in the US. Or the Volvo Polestar E.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 736 Likes on 390 Posts

A major requirement for our next EV is a minimum 250 mile range, so it's automatically out for us. Not that it'd be the equivalent of $36K when it finally reaches NZ, it'll probably be over $50K, because we can't anything for a reasonable price*. I can't even get a quote for a Model S or X off their NZ store at the moment because it's got an annoying "Coming soon..." splash page that I can't dismiss. Good one Tesla.

Hellcat Redeye = $US135K. Yup. And that's not even converted to RHD.

Quick Reply: The $36k Model 3, two week wait.