Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

04 TL or 03 G35 Coupe

Old 12-21-2004, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 TL or 03 G35 Coupe

Has anyone driven the auto versions of BOTH the g35 coupe (non 2005) and the TL? I have driven a TL. It is comfy and rides well. I have yet to drive a g35 coupe, but i hear it feels like driving a 350z due to them being on the same platform. Between the two, i'm sure the g35 feels faster, but is it really noticable? Thanks
Old 12-21-2004, 08:56 PM

Well, do you need four doors and full-size back-seats, or don't you? At the end of the day, that's the first thing you have to decide. Assuming that doesn't matter,

I've driven both. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the new TL. I felt as though I was driving a boat. Granted, next to the S2000 many cars feel ponderous, but I was surprised at exactly how large the new TL felt. The steering was numb, the visibility was rather poor for such a large sedan, and eventually I got fed up with the drivetrain - I got either wheel hop or torque steer or both from the FWD. On the plus side, it has a killer stock stereo system... for whatever that's worth to you. I have a few DVD-A titles and they blew me away.

I'd choose the G35 Coupe if I had to make a choice. The ones I've driven have the right drivetrain, fantastic breaking, proper sports car sounds, and it handles extremely well. It's an easy car to drive fast. It feels heavy, yes, but not as heavy as the TL. I like the engine better. The only bummer was questionable interior quality. I hear that's fixed in '05.

With all due respect to the TL, fine car that it is, I'd much sooner buy a TSX.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the g35 coupe interior is very cramped. if you don't need the space then the g35c is definitely the way to go. on the other hand, the 2005 g35 sedan will have 280hp with an interior that is nicely updated. the TL just shouldn't be FWD. as long as it is one, then i cannot ever find myself even considering getting a TL, despite how otherwise nice the car is.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Banned

I have driven both, but 6-spd. The G35c handled sportier, but I liked the shifter of the TL better, and the interior much better. The TL understeered and torque-steered if pushed hard, and I did.

Over all, I would pick the TL over the G35c because I think it looks better inside out. The TL is beautiful. Besides the NSX, it is the most beautiful Acura ever, IMO. The G35c is pretty good looking too. They are different cars, one is a coupe while the other, sedan. The sedan has more room and stuff but because of the FWD, it handles less sporty than the G35c. It's all up to what one looks for. They are truly different. Oh, one more thing, the audio system in the TL is awesome.

The TL is just too beautiful. That is why I see one every 2 seconds, and it hasn't been out that long yet.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:40 PM

RWD all the way!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:29 AM

I did the same comparison too. TL is way better looking and better build inside out, and the styling is excellent move for acura. And the navigation with voice recgonition that controls everything in your car is soooo cool. I never liked navigation but the acura system is just too nice. Salesperson said that acura would have sh-awd by the end of next year. I would most definitely get one if the rumor is true.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluedd,Dec 22 2004, 02:29 AM
Salesperson said that acura would have sh-awd by the end of next year.
i strongly doubt it. if sh-awd is offered in the TL, then no one in their right mind will spend $50K on the RL that is slightly more powerful, but is not any larger than the TL in size.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:40 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I whether have a RWD sports coupe over a FWD torque steering pig.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:50 AM

Its hard to compare the two... one is a sedan and the other is a coupe.... traits like that can be make or break right off the bat for some consumers

But personally...I'm with the G35C hands down

The TL is a nice car but in my opinion I don't think the styling is all that.... the interior is nicer than the G35 but the exterior is IMHO, very Blah.... theres nothing to the exterior of the TL at all... very boring.... Plus I dont think the car is gonna be as sporty when comparing the drive to the G35

I wouldnt feel as good droppoing 50K on a TL as I would dropbing 60K on a G35C.

The G35 is just a better performer in all categories and is just a drop dead sexy ass car... There is no comparison
Old 12-22-2004, 04:59 AM

My wife owns an 04 TL. It is a good solid car to which I have only one complaint. It is FWD. There is alot of power which does cause quite a bit of torque steer if you realy get on it.

I think the fit and finish is far better than the G35 even after you add all the packages to get it to the same trim level as the TL. After that the cost has gone significantly up. We drove the G35 cpe and sedan quite a bit while trying to make our selection. We liked both but the TL had the better interior IMO and better looks. To me the G35 is way to much plastic. Personally I am happy with our decision. Recently I did have a chance to look at the new RL and it made me wish we had AWD like the RL.

Quick Reply: 04 TL or 03 G35 Coupe