Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

06-10 cayenne turbo vs 06-10 Jeep SRT8

Old 03-29-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 06-10 cayenne turbo vs 06-10 Jeep SRT8

Just looking for pros and cons of each of you have owned one. Only other consideration is the 2012 Jeep SRT8. Looking for an suv with a little get up. I’m leaning towards the Porsche. Any input is appreciated.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:57 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by S_DosMil
Just looking for pros and cons of each of you have owned one. Only other consideration is the 2012 Jeep SRT8. Looking for an suv with a little get up. I’m leaning towards the Porsche. Any input is appreciated.
I would do a lot of research on the first gen Cayennes. They are cheap and maybe with good reason. Quality was so bad they stopped production for a year. I was told by a Porsche mechanic “no” on those altogether. I’m in a 2012 S naturally aspirated V8 and it’s great though we have only driven four thousand miles.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Jeep no question.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m more specifically looking at 08-10 the updated v8. I know standard maintenance is more on the Porsche. I have heard of the driveshaft failure which is around 2000 bucks to have updated and replaced. I’m just weighing my options. Can anyone recommend another SUV similar? I’m not a fan on the Mercedes. How are the bmw 5 series suv
Old 04-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiHonda

I would do a lot of research on the first gen Cayennes. They are cheap and maybe with good reason. Quality was so bad they stopped production for a year. I was told by a Porsche mechanic “no” on those altogether. I’m in a 2012 S naturally aspirated V8 and it’s great though we have only driven four thousand miles.
The V6 first gens are pretty reliable and they are definitely DIY friendly cars.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:52 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

We have a 14 srt Jeep which is similar to a 12. We like ours a lot. We have not had any issues with it at all for the past 3 years and 45k miles. The cayenne may handle better but the brute force of the 6.4l is undeniable. Also the Jeep is built solid and is pretty luxurious with all sorts of tech. If your into modding then I would look into the wk1 Srt. They are known to take boost fairly well.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We own a Cayenne and it’s a nice suv, with a pretty expensive maintenance schedule.

Other than the maintenance, I enjoy it. We have a 2014 v6 platinum edition.

The jeep will not have the expensive maintenance parts and a longer maintenance schedule.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a 2009 6 Speed Cayenne GTS for 4 years, it was fun to drive but a turd otherwise. I had extended warranty which saved me $$$$$$. I replaced the cardan shaft, had numerous coolant leaks, my throwout bearing disintegrated into 20+ pieces subsequently destroying the DMF. The full clutch/flywheel replacement was over $5K!! Fortunately I only had to pay $2K as the failure was attributed to the DMF separating and warranty covered most of the repair. I also had numerous pixels go out on my dash cluster and the only fix was a new cluster at nearly $2500. The Turbo is the most expensive Cayenne to maintain as well BTW.

A very real problem on all 9PA Cayenne's and some 92A's is cylinder wall scoring, even Turbo models with the Nikasil liners have been affected. More prevalent in colder climates but not isolated to. Be very wary and have any Cayenne compression tested and if possible borescoped before purchase.

I would not touch another Cayenne, I would be all over the SRT if in your shoes.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DD is an 08 Cayenne GTS with the 6MT and its fun to drive for a family hauler and has been surprisingly reliable. Yes, the maintenance is expensive but if you DIY the cost isn't that bad. Rennlist has an active group of folks who wrench on their own rides so you can get pretty good instructions for doing the work. Find one with the PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control) which are active sway bars which results in unnaturally flat cornering. Step up to a Turbo S and PDCC is standard. Mine also has the full leather interior option (which is standard on the Turbos) with the dash and doors also in leather which makes it nicer as well. The 6MT (only on the 08-09 GTS) is not for everyone as the common complaint is the truck like long throws but I enjoy the control of shifting myself. Finally 957's are much closer to the bottom of the depreciation curve so they are cheaper than the '12 SRT.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

How reliable are the SRT8 jeeps? Is the power train solid even if you actually use the launch control and drive it hard?

The Cayenne's have a gorgeous interior.

Quick Reply: 06-10 cayenne turbo vs 06-10 Jeep SRT8